1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Would you replace a wheel bearing that looks like this?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by cmj, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Jul 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM
    cmj

cmj [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 4x4
    I picked up a complete rear end in sorry shape for my e locker retrofit and I'm going through and replacing seals and such. I noticed that the wheel bearings are not the same on both sides. One looks clean and tidy, and the other looks like a little grease is coming out of the seal. There was some dirt build up on the outside of the axle housing but I think that was from the axle housing seals (an issue which I have researched and will tackle soon). Tell me what you think

[​IMG]

Here's the other side.

[​IMG]

2. Jul 27, 2013 at 11:19 PM
    cmj

cmj [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 4x4
    I will be replacing the axle seals and their races with this guy's findings in mind:

3. Jul 28, 2013 at 7:13 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    That fellows answer is a cover up to bad seal install technique, plain and simple. Toyota agrees with this. Read post #6 and look at the 2nd pic for proof that the seal if installed properly will ride in the center of the retainer.
    Putting the retainer on backwards can not hurt and it's a good idea but it is just a cover up of a shoddy/inexperienced install with the wrong tool. I have done many of these over the last 12 years with 100% success.

Here are a few other threads on the subject.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/277005-stubborn-inner-axle-seal.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/274582-proper-way-press-new-rear-wheel-bearing.html

Products Discussed in

To Top