1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alignment shop readings= crap

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 7ender, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Aug 1, 2013 at 5:22 PM
    7ender

7ender [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I do my own alignments on my cars, and wanted to double check my measurements by getting my truck on some alignment racks.

Firestone offers free alignment check (they just give you the printout) so I took it there. After looking at the printout, I knew there was no way it could be correct. I use a $250 SPI Digital Pro 360 angle finder, and it gave me consistent readings that conflicted with what Firestone showed me.

So, the today I took it to another firestone to see what readings I would get from them. Sure enough, they are quite different. Here are the printouts for your observation.

Firestone #1
    IMG_20130801_165726_831_zps61b7933f_47bd0d1fe2aa1cf882c6e32cc7b9262fb1f0646b.jpg

Firestone #2
    IMG_20130801_170226_006_zpsefa10791_ad2a0c301fae6a3b3d216565c51eface6c46219c.jpg
    (left front toe reads -.11, right front toe reads .20, and steer ahead is -.15)

As a side note, the tech's don't know anything either...which I guess I already knew. At the second shop, the guy started adjusting my truck (not knowing I only "paid" for the free check) and I asked what he was adjusting for. He said he was working on getting the steer ahead to 0. Somebody feel free to correct me if i'm wrong cause i'm not positive what the steer ahead reading measures, but i'm almost sure it should be set to match the thrust angle since our trucks do not have adjustable rears.

So anyways just thought i'd share. I'd have been very upset if I had paid for an alignment at these shops (particularly at the first one..) and they'd used those numbers to "correct" my alignment. And yes, I know I should have more caster, but I have a 2.5" lift in the front and no adjustable UCA's.

2. Aug 1, 2013 at 5:27 PM
    That Dude Tim

That Dude Tim Toyota Technician

Member:
    Elyria, OH
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    Falken Wildpeak AT3/W, BLK Mk6, ICON's, Firestone Ride Rites, SHLM, Rear view camera switch, 7-pin in bumper, Lighted 4x4 switch, ImMrYo bracket, mudflap delete

Buy some?

3. Aug 1, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    7ender

Member:
    That wasn't really the point of the thread, I know I could use them but I don't have the money and don't feel they're necessary for me right now. The truck doesn't really wander much, which I was actually very surprised at.

4. Aug 1, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    Bearcoatoffroad

Bearcoatoffroad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Rincon, GA
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Off Road 4x4 Double Cab
    2.5" spacer lift, Tundra wheels with spacers
    They both seem to show your rear axle angled in the same direction.

5. Aug 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    7ender

Member:
    Yeah, it seems to show the same trend for the rear. The front not so much...the camber readings are off by as much as half a degree. Maybe not THAT big of a deal, but for a service that costs ~$90 and a machine that supposedly reads down to the hundredth of a degree in some areas, I would expect much greater accuracy.

6. Aug 1, 2013 at 5:39 PM
    That Dude Tim

That Dude Tim Toyota Technician

Member:
    Elyria, OH
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    Falken Wildpeak AT3/W, BLK Mk6, ICON's, Firestone Ride Rites, SHLM, Rear view camera switch, 7-pin in bumper, Lighted 4x4 switch, ImMrYo bracket, mudflap delete
    Yeah I know what you mean about money. That comment wasn't my serious one. Yes alignment machines can be very accurate and get alignments done very precisely. But there can be a flaw, meaning the user. If he/she isn't trained/skilled/or even cares, then no matter how great and expensive the alignment machine is you'll get crappy readings. These in turn lead to crappy alignments. Simply not butting the sensors on the wheel tightly or not seated properly can effect alignment angles dramatically.

7. Aug 1, 2013 at 5:39 PM
    rickmeseke

rickmeseke subaru of america

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Brunswick, GA
    Vehicle:
    a white truck
    Firestone is a chain, chains tend to hire high schoolers who can't do crap

When I worked at jiffy lube when I was 18 I honesty think I was the only one who knew how to change oil. Independent shops are alot more stricter and reliable

8. Aug 1, 2013 at 7:54 PM
    DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston SC
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner SR5
    Independents way to go! Guys who are good at what they do and don't have to put up with corporate bs!

Products Discussed in

To Top