1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstien 5100 Install

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by coolreed, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Aug 2, 2013 at 4:53 AM
    coolreed

coolreed [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reed
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
    Goodyear Wrangler Dura Track Pro Tires, K&N Cold Air Intake, Pedal Commander.
    I purchased a set of BilStien 5100's from Down South Motorsports via the net. Recieved them in good order and a good price too. Thanks D.S.

My Taco is a 2006 with almost 90k on the clock.

Had a friend come over to help with the install. Rear shocks were an easy install. If you cannot do that install you may have your Man-Card revoked.

The fronts were a little more difficult but not bad. Basically, unbolted and removed the coil and spring assembly after disconnecting the sway bar ends and steering bolt brackets on the spinndle. Took the coil spring units to my friends house and used his spring compressor to remove and install the new front shocks. Reassmebled the front end and Viola!

The old Bilstiens were in surprisingly good condition.

Took a Test Drive and WOW! Big difference in the ride. This is a much heavier duty shock and I recommend these 5100's Big Time. Did it for $334.00. The stealership wanted more than $1000.00.

2. Aug 2, 2013 at 5:00 AM
    Taco Dan

Taco Dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser auto 4X4
    Snorkel, Cooper ST Maxx 255/80/17, diff breather relocate, Cobra ultra III cb radio set up Warrior Products front bumper
    Pics Man! i just ordered the same set up.
    what setting did you go with up front?
    I also have a 2006 with 92k mi.

3. Aug 2, 2013 at 5:08 AM
    LowerBost

LowerBost Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Sport
    Old Man Emu Lift w/ Dakars and Billsteins, K&N Intake, Throttle Body Space, Front Bull Bar, Side Rails, Painted Stock Rims, Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks, Third Brake Light Cover, Satoshi Grill Mod, BHLM Mod
    I am thinking about the front 5100's as well but am worried about the install. Is it really that easy? These coils wont expand and knock my head off if I loosen a bolt to take them off? I'm no mechanic, but I like working on my truck and learning how to do things myself. This forums been really helpful for everything I have ever had to do.

4. Aug 2, 2013 at 6:00 AM
    Chris24

Chris24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Black DCSB TRD Sport, V6, 6sp
    you need a spring compressor to get the coils off.

5. Aug 2, 2013 at 6:48 AM
    teamhypoxia

teamhypoxia MichelinMan

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD OR
    JoefromPTC likes this.
  6. Aug 2, 2013 at 7:09 AM
    Berg24

Berg24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Madisonville, Ky
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB TRD Sport
    The method in the video above works quite well and is pretty easy. I used it 3x and had good luck with it.

7. Aug 2, 2013 at 7:16 AM
    GreyTaco

GreyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Deland, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Blue 2015 TRD Off Road
    Nuttin, Yet
    I was thinking about a set of these too. Do you need to get an alignment after installing 5100'S?

8. Aug 2, 2013 at 7:17 AM
    coolreed

Member:
    First Name:
    Reed
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    I went with the stock settings as I have no need for lift.

As for spring compressors being unsafe? Not the ones we used as they are very large professional ones that cost sveral thousand dollars. The ones you use or borrow from a auto parts store can be.

You can change your fronts without a spring compressor as shown on Youtube but I believe you ahve to remove the swaybar and loosen the alignment shim.

The way I performed the replacement is safer and easier.

But my point was that the Bilstien 5100's are a great upgrade for your Taco and you can save alot of money by purchasing them online and installing them yourself. ;)

9. Aug 2, 2013 at 7:23 AM
    LowerBost

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Sport
    Old Man Emu Lift w/ Dakars and Billsteins, K&N Intake, Throttle Body Space, Front Bull Bar, Side Rails, Painted Stock Rims, Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks, Third Brake Light Cover, Satoshi Grill Mod, BHLM Mod
    Looks a little dangerous. Any problems with the coils slipping out when pumping the shock back up in there?

10. Aug 2, 2013 at 7:25 AM
    CHUNKY08

CHUNKY08 Milk was a BAD choice

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08WHTSR54x4
    20% tinted, Low pro truxedo bed cover, debadged, Billie 5100's plus 2" AAL, 265/70/17 General Grabbers, ProComp 5001 wheels, Polk Audio 6.5" components & Polk Audio 6.5" rear, Kenwood headunit, homertoshi grill, plasti dipped lower valiance, mag light mod, more coming...
    This works perfectly and is super easy!
    For the record, all spring compressors are not dangerous...just the POS they rent out from the auto parts stores. You're better off doing it this way if you don't have access to a good compressor.

11. Aug 2, 2013 at 7:26 AM
    CHUNKY08

CHUNKY08 Milk was a BAD choice

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08WHTSR54x4
    20% tinted, Low pro truxedo bed cover, debadged, Billie 5100's plus 2" AAL, 265/70/17 General Grabbers, ProComp 5001 wheels, Polk Audio 6.5" components & Polk Audio 6.5" rear, Kenwood headunit, homertoshi grill, plasti dipped lower valiance, mag light mod, more coming...
    It's suprisingly easy this way. I think it would be pretty difficult to screw it up.

12. Aug 5, 2013 at 5:06 AM
    LowerBost

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Sport
    So I see guys taking the coils and shock to someone to have them put together, and then installing them as one in the truck. Is this right? Do I need to take the coils and shocks to someone who has a compressor to do it?

13. Aug 5, 2013 at 6:14 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Best thing I did to the truck- set at 1.75", with TSB rear springs, the truck rides great, but like a truck. Bilstein did a lot of R&D I am sure when they designed the factory TRD shocks, which I am sure carried over to the 5100's. These are much better shock then the OEM shock they make for our trucks. Easy to install, just have to get an alignment. Best entry level lift which functions IMO. :cool:

14. Aug 5, 2013 at 6:21 AM
    coolreed

Member:
    First Name:
    Reed
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    I preferred to perform the installation using a quality spring compressor because one was available and I did not want to take the sway bar off.
    It allowed me to not mess with the front end alignment or removal of the sway bar.

The procedure on Youtube will work but he removed the sway bar and he loosened the alignment bushings/washer after marking the position so the alignment washer could be returned to the original position. Keep in mind about the energy stored in a spring when releasing it.

Either way will work if you understand the process. It is really a simple procedure. But most importantly 'Be Safe'. Use good Jack Stands and release any energy from the coil-overs safely.

That being said,...replacing the stock Bilstiens with the Bilstien 5100's was one of the best mods I have done on my Taco. Much beefier than the stock Bilstiens.

Happy Wrenching :)

15. Aug 5, 2013 at 7:18 AM
    hour

hour TL;DR BOSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma RC 4x4 (Sold) '14 Ram 1500, '99 4R
    Level 8 Trackers, Hankook Dynapro LT265/75/16, Bilstein 5100's @ 2.5, Wheelers 3-Leaf Progressive w/ factory overload, 5100s all around // Ranch Camper Shell, BHLM, hacked reverse lights, auxiliary reverse lights // Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD, RF Prime Components, BOSS 10" Sub
    I think he marked the alignment shims so he could return it to ballpark range and have it be drivable to an alignment shop.

All vehicles I've done suspension work on required alignments, even if they looked alright and I didn't undo all the related components. But uhh yea

16. Aug 5, 2013 at 7:56 AM
    mytaco77

mytaco77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 dbsb 4x4 TRD
    Thanks for the video...I'm actually doing this install this next weekend and didn't want to rent those crap spring compressors from the auto parts store. Last weekend I add a new leaf back.

17. Aug 5, 2013 at 8:14 AM
    esse10

esse10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    05prerunner SR5 DBLCAB
    I did mine this past December and just wanted to add my 2 cents on this. As a buckup plan you can also put a thick wire rope or chain through the spring just in case it does come flying out .......it won't go that far and hit ya. "ya safe....I hope " :p Good luck folks.

18. Aug 6, 2013 at 4:57 AM
    LowerBost

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Sport

....That's reassuring haha

19. Aug 10, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    GreyTaco

GreyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Deland, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Blue 2015 TRD Off Road
    Nuttin, Yet
    I haven't done shocks on a gen 2 tacoma, but I have done them before. In my experience you really dont need to compress the spring all that much. You just need to take the tension off. With the ones I replaced I only squeezed 3 coils and it didnt compress that far.That was using a Vato zone rent a tool. That was on my 96 Taco.

JoefromPTC likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top