1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Screwed up my tweeter flush mount - suggestions??

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by tbostrom, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Aug 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM
    tbostrom

tbostrom [OP] Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Prerunner
    So I tried mounting some new tweeters in my 2000 Prerunner Xtra this weekend and I messed up. I cut a new hole in the door panel just below the window, close to the sail panel.

The hole saw did a good job or ripping up some of the faux leather/vinyl material and the flange on the tweeter cup really didn't have a lot of overlap so I'm stuck with a shoddy surround material. Pics below. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this look any better? do they make a 2" plastic washer or 'flange extender' to cover over the crappy cut? or is there a way to stretch the material some more and overlap it into the hole? Ugh... wife is going to hate this - thank god she doesn't drive the truck.

BTW: After doing one side, I figured out how to do this right on the other side without making it look terrible.

IMG_1412_zps1a30a79f_2ec3697de4f4684488679d6f9d67ab4e898ac9e0.jpg

IMG_1411_zps2140f0ac_d3845c3b7902ce8f1128e9641dfb0857de23836e.jpg

2. Aug 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM
    gb42

gb42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRD OR DCSB MT
    I am sure you could find a hole on your wife to stick that tweeter if she doesn't like the on you cut in the truck.

3. Aug 5, 2013 at 1:57 PM
    Greytacoma1

Greytacoma1 Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dave
    Sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma dc lb
    Satoshi grill, Plasti derp, Ready lift kit, Wheelers 2 inch aal, Hella 700, Wheather tech floor mats, Blueinstinct armrest cover, sockmonkey bed decal, BHLM, debadge, 35% tint front windows, OEM roof rack, OEM step bar, TRD skid plate, tacomaworld.com decal, stock antenna trimed, gorilla extended lug nuts,diff breather mod, cab mount chop, AVS window visor, spidertrax 1.25 wheel spacers, toytec sway bar relocate, extra d ring mod
    Doesn't look too bad. Either get a bigger tweeter or a new door panel.

4. Aug 6, 2013 at 6:06 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Might look for some vinyl paint that comes close to that color, or hit up an upholstry shop and see if they have something, look for a used door panel,,, Sharpie....

5. Aug 6, 2013 at 10:04 AM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    This, or call around to local stereo shops and ask if they do a lot of insurance replacement and repairs - these shops will likely have a dash repair guy that's mobile, and can come out to a location of your choosing to help you fix it.

6. Aug 7, 2013 at 8:26 AM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    I use to work in a custom stereo store and we had cheater rings for just that sort of problem. Unfortunately, companies like Metra only sell those parts to dealers. You might shop around for oversized trim rings or tweeter spacers, or a larger tweeter assembly. They do exist and are easier than cutting a perfect circle.

Products Discussed in

To Top