1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diesel in a gas tank.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NCTaco09, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Aug 7, 2013 at 7:35 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    I was being serious when I asked. Where I live, you can be in High School to pump gas. I just never heard that people weren't allowed to pump their own gas. I was just curious. I guess it's different at a State and Federal level.

2. Aug 7, 2013 at 7:39 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.

for some reason in Oregon, when you buy fuel someone else has a job to pump it, exception being some pump by a card un-manned stations or on the job.

3. Aug 7, 2013 at 7:41 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Is it due to safety? What was the whole reasoning behind it?

In BC(British Columbia) they have a law called "Grant's Law". It was a law that was brought in because a gas attendant ran after a "gas & dash" driver and was killed. When the law was introduced, it forced people to now pre pay for their gas.

4. Aug 7, 2013 at 7:43 PM
    Sido

Sido Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anchorage
    Vehicle:
    None
    For Oregon the reasons are actually listed in the law. They tried to get rid of it in the past, but I think #14 is why they keep it around-

[FONT=&quot]480.315 Policy.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] The Legislative Assembly declares that, except as provided in ORS 480.345 to 480.385, it is in the public interest to maintain a prohibition on the self-service dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids at retail. The Legislative Assembly finds and declares that:[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] (1) The dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids by dispensers properly trained in appropriate safety procedures reduces fire hazards directly associated with the dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (2) Appropriate safety standards often are unenforceable at retail self-service stations in other states because cashiers are often unable to maintain a clear view of and give undivided attention to the dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids by customers;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (3) Higher liability insurance rates charged to retail self-service stations reflect the dangers posed to customers when they leave their vehicles to dispense Class 1 flammable liquids, such as the increased risk of crime and the increased risk of personal injury resulting from slipping on slick surfaces;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (4) The dangers of crime and slick surfaces described in subsection (3) of this section are enhanced because Oregon’s weather is uniquely adverse, causing wet pavement and reduced visibility;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (5) The dangers described in subsection (3) of this section are heightened when the customer is a senior citizen or has a disability, especially if the customer uses a mobility aid, such as a wheelchair, walker, cane or crutches;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (6) Attempts by other states to require the providing of aid to senior citizens and persons with disabilities in the self-service dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids at retail have failed, and therefore, senior citizens and persons with disabilities must pay the higher costs of full service;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (7) Exposure to toxic fumes represents a health hazard to customers dispensing Class 1 flammable liquids;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (8) The hazard described in subsection (7) of this section is heightened when the customer is pregnant;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (9) The exposure to Class 1 flammable liquids through dispensing should, in general, be limited to as few individuals as possible, such as gasoline station owners and their employees or other trained and certified dispensers;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (10) The typical practice of charging significantly higher prices for full-service fuel dispensing in states where self-service is permitted at retail:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (a) Discriminates against customers with lower incomes, who are under greater economic pressure to subject themselves to the inconvenience and hazards of self-service;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (b) Discriminates against customers who are elderly or have disabilities who are unable to serve themselves and so must pay the significantly higher prices; and[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (c) Increases self-service dispensing and thereby decreases maintenance checks by attendants, which results in neglect of maintenance, endangering both the customer and other motorists and resulting in unnecessary and costly repairs;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (11) The increased use of self-service at retail in other states has contributed to diminishing the availability of automotive repair facilities at gasoline stations;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (12) Self-service dispensing at retail in other states does not provide a sustained reduction in fuel prices charged to customers;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (13) A general prohibition of self-service dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids by the general public promotes public welfare by providing increased safety and convenience without causing economic harm to the public in general;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (14) Self-service dispensing at retail contributes to unemployment, particularly among young people;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (15) Self-service dispensing at retail presents a health hazard and unreasonable discomfort to persons with disabilities, elderly persons, small children and those susceptible to respiratory diseases;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (16) The federal Americans with Disabilities Act, Public Law 101-336, requires that equal access be provided to persons with disabilities at retail gasoline stations; and[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (17) Small children left unattended when customers leave to make payment at retail self-service stations creates a dangerous situation. [1991 c.863 §49a; 1999 c.59 §160; 2007 c.70 §276][/FONT]

5. Aug 7, 2013 at 7:46 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    That makes sense.

6. Aug 7, 2013 at 7:47 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    Predates even me, I never tried to answer that one.
    I'll google it. Wasn't a google when I was a kid. Nope , no soild reason, just speculations, some sound decent...in theory.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/i-wonder/I-Wonder-Why-cant-you-pump-your-own-gas-in-Oregon-82256587.html

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  7. Aug 7, 2013 at 8:39 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    IT'S HER ONLY FUCKING JOB AND SHE FUCKS IT UP! WHAT A FUCKTARD!

I hate retarded people.

Did you try to get her fired? She needs to try working at the recycling plant separating plastic from paper.

8. Aug 8, 2013 at 4:55 AM
    car78412

car78412 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma reg cab 4x4
    I owned a pos S10 in the 90's. I never thought of putting diesel in it. That would have solved all my engine problems. Live and learn.

9. Aug 8, 2013 at 5:10 AM
    tfeltz73

tfeltz73 That's greasy Ricky

Member:
    central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2013 supercharged long travel thing
    My dad pumped diesel into my moms Buick on the way back from a family trip and didn't notice it until we were driving and her car started to act weird and he looked at the receipt so we pulled over and found a tow to a shop, they drained the tank and filled it with non ethanol andher vehicle has ran fine ever since

10. Aug 8, 2013 at 5:14 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I'd rather have diesel in my gas than gas in my diesel. LOL

11. Aug 8, 2013 at 5:38 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    That sucks OP, Jersey has the same stupid law. It is unlawful to pump your own gas. :rolleyes: But for some reason you can pump your own Diesel here???

12. Aug 8, 2013 at 7:36 AM
    NCTaco09

NCTaco09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5
    bumper
    Exactly. On a update: the station is handing her the bill. Guess she'll never make that mistake again.

13. Aug 8, 2013 at 7:36 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Yeah! You're not the only one that didn't have Google when they were young. The first time I was on the internet was in 97'. Not like some people who have had the internet since they came out of the womb. I bet not a lot of people here know what "Dos Prompt" is?

You sound like someone who would be pumping the gas.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  14. Aug 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    We had a guy do this at work one day. Filled up a gas van with diesel and then drove it back to the shop. His punishment was to help the mechanic drain the fuel tank and replace all the fuel lines and pump. I think it was due for a long term service interval anyways.

I filled up a diesel truck with 40 liters of antifreeze once! OOPSEE!

15. Aug 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    Don't go by the color alone, they aren't all green. My last truck was a Cummins. A BP station that I would use had a green nozzle for gas and black for diesel. Typically the diesel nozzle is too large to fit into a gas filler neck. However when the handles break, there isn't a guarantee that the station owner won't put on a "gas" size nozzle onto the diesel pump - it's happened. I always check to make sure the hose that I'm going to use is from that pump and some prankster hasn't swapped them around.

16. Aug 8, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    I've never heard of someone doing that. That's a new one.

17. Aug 8, 2013 at 12:47 PM
    Nfurtado77

Nfurtado77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wow lucky you caught it before your drove away. Forced full service is one of the weirdest laws I have heard of next thing your know you guys won't be able to do work on your own car.

18. Aug 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM
    TacoAlaMode

TacoAlaMode Mr. Midlife Crisis

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    10 DC LB MG 4X4 TRD Sport
    Icon Ext Coilover, Alcan Rear springs, Demello 3-Hoop Bumper and RockCrusher Sliders, Full tint 360', WeatherTech Floor liners and rainguards, Debadged, In Cabin 110 with 400w anytime, Diff breather mod
    Had a Dodge Dakota get filled up with diesel because the tanker filled the gas tank at the station with diesel fuel.

It ran rough while the engine was cold but once it got up to temperature, it seemed to run fine. Drove it 100 miles over 2 days that way. I pulled up to the median at my house on the second day and as I rolled to a stop to wait for traffic, my oil pressure gauge dumped to zero. Got it across the road and in the driveway. Let it sit a few minutes and went to start it again and black smoke poured out the tail pipe.

Called the dealership and had it towed. They found "gas" in the oil. One of my injectors blew a seal I believe is what they diagnosed. After a week they told me my truck was ready. It drove fine from the dealership home (already warmed up). The next morning went to start it and it was still running rough. Instead of going to work, drove it straight back to the dealership.

They called Dodge engineers in to help diagnose the problem. After 2 weeks, they called me and asked where I had filled up with gas. While my truck was at the dealership they started having more cars come in with the same problem. Different makes and models and they finally determined it was the gas (diesel).

Gas station paid for the first and second repair, but I should have made them replace the engine. My #8 cylinder kept fouling plugs and it was burning oil. My catalytic converter went out (under warranty) and my fuel pump had to be replaced which I attribute all to running diesel through the motor.

19. Aug 8, 2013 at 1:10 PM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    Can't pump your own gas? In multilpe states?

I feel so sad for this once great country...

20. Aug 8, 2013 at 1:10 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Had to top up from 2 jerry cans before a big road move. I didn't look inside the cans before I dumped them into the fuel tank. Turns out they were full of old coolant.

Truck ran fine until the coolant got into the fuel pump and she just died on me on the side of the highway. Luckily it was a fuel truck, so I just evacuated my fuel tank and ran it through the heavy filters for the product tank. Filled it back up, primed the fuel lines, and away I went. Haha.

Products Discussed in

To Top