1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

raptor grill for my 2012

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kevinsc, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Aug 9, 2013 at 9:03 AM
    kevinsc

kevinsc [OP] 2012 dbl cab 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    Lexington, south carolina
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 dbl cab
    chrome on front painted to match, satoshi grill done by myself, BHLM, billys all the way around with ome springs upfront and LR ucas with wheelers 3 leaf progressive pack in the rear, mb gunner wheels powdercoated black on 285/75r16 nitto trail grapplers, tinted all the way around and on windshield, pioneer dbl din touch screen with two 10's behing the seat and new speakers all the way around and certain interior parts painted to match, also have a road wire leather kit black with red stitching sitting here waiting for me to find time to install it!
    well i have been doing a lot of research and looking at homertacos raptor style grill and i finally pulled the trigger on ordering a second grill and all of the stuff i need for this project.... i will keep everyone posted on it as it comes along!!

DONE!!!! sorry i was on vacation and stopped working on it but i finished yesterday!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  2. Aug 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM
    kevinsc

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 dbl cab
    chrome on front painted to match, satoshi grill done by myself, BHLM, billys all the way around with ome springs upfront and LR ucas with wheelers 3 leaf progressive pack in the rear, mb gunner wheels powdercoated black on 285/75r16 nitto trail grapplers, tinted all the way around and on windshield, pioneer dbl din touch screen with two 10's behing the seat and new speakers all the way around and certain interior parts painted to match, also have a road wire leather kit black with red stitching sitting here waiting for me to find time to install it!
    well i was going to bend the grill similar to the way homertaco does his but after getting the sides formed i realized on the sides the top is a good bit skinnier then the bottom part so i opted out of doing the bends to the grill and this is where im at.. still have to paint but this is where im at!

the grill i ordered from partsgeek.com
    [​IMG]
    luckily it comes apart pretty easy so i dont have to have another grill painted to match!
    [​IMG]
    after having the middle cut out..
    [​IMG]
    i cut pieces from the inside that was cut out to make/start to form the angles around the corner almost like a guide this is the first coat of fiberglass which looks a little messy but i had to make the non existing sides somehow!
    [​IMG]
    forgot to take pictures on the next few steps but that included more fiberglass and fiber bondo and regular bondo and a whole hell of a lot of cutting and sanding!!! but this is where im at today and i will hopefully get to prime and paint tonight! this is the mesh i got from customcargrills.com and i just ordered the letters from jlee at B.A.M.F. today!
    [​IMG]
    well i primmed the grill and had to do a good bit more sanding because i saw a good bit of imperfections and then i re-primmed it and there are just a few small parts i need to sand on some more but i hope to have that done and then painted tonight! here is a pic of it after it being primmed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  3. Aug 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    So far so good, keep it up.

4. Aug 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    looks bad ass so far:thumbsup:

5. Aug 19, 2013 at 12:36 PM
    straycat241

straycat241 maXXXed out mid travel

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD off road 4x2
    airaid intake, jba headers, jba exhaust, DMZ enginecage, King 2.5 coilovers , 1.25camburg uca's, total chaos lca's, shock hoops with Icon 2.5 piggybacks, camburg 4.0 Spindles, Defined engineering SUA, King 2.5" Shocks w/Reservoir, King 2.5 Bumpstops,shocktacobumper,moto metal 951's, compartment locks, blackgrill,Glassworks fenders front and rear,ViS racing glass hood,PIAA 510s,hella 500's,black rebadge,fabtech spare tire holder,tailgate delete,mudflaps delete,cobra 19 ultra iii
    looks great OP, I plan to to the raptor look grill too! sooner or later lol and raptor graffix after I repaint my truck

6. Aug 19, 2013 at 12:43 PM
    kevinsc

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 dbl cab
    thanks it has been a lot of work but well worth it and i cant wait to get the letters in!

7. Aug 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM
    Colt562

Colt562 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport 4x4
    Icon Stage 3 Lift Kit...Dakars
    looks good OP....I want to do this to my 2013 but having some reservations about it.

8. Aug 19, 2013 at 1:55 PM
    kevinsc

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 dbl cab
    thanks and it has been a lot of work but its well worth it!!

9. Aug 22, 2013 at 6:00 AM
    kevinsc

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 dbl cab
    got it painted last night and there are still just a few knicks that i didnt notice until i painted it black... but i had to put the grill back together and on the truck since it was getting late and i had to be up at 7am but i will take it back off to finish when i get my letters in!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Sep 10, 2013 at 5:47 AM
    kevinsc

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 dbl cab
    bump for finished pictures

11. Sep 17, 2013 at 9:18 AM
    Ulysiss

Ulysiss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ulysiss
    La Puente, SGV
    Vehicle:
    2013 Long Bed, PreRunner, TRD Sport
    I WANT ONE

12. Sep 17, 2013 at 9:22 AM
    mbritton28

mbritton28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma texas edition
    me too!!! That looks bad ass man. Good job!!

13. Sep 17, 2013 at 9:30 AM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Man that looks great! Tempted to do one myself just a smaller font size.

14. Sep 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    kevinsc

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 dbl cab
    thanks! and i still have the original grill and i will probably make another just because its sitting around taking up space and sell it but its all about finding time... it should go quicker this time since i now know what has to be done!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  15. Sep 17, 2013 at 1:10 PM
    mbritton28

mbritton28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma texas edition
    well let me know man. Id probably be interested in buying

16. Sep 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Dude if you started making these for the 2012+ Tacoma's I would buy

17. Sep 17, 2013 at 1:15 PM
    kborg1505

kborg1505 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristen
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB Prerunner Sport
    x2! looks great!

18. Sep 18, 2013 at 5:27 AM
    kevinsc

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 dbl cab
    i will do another one with the extra grill i have since i now know what it takes to make it and see how long it takes me and i might just make a few extra!

19. Sep 18, 2013 at 5:51 AM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    Very nice. I have a 2012 and the stock grille with the busy center is just plain ugly! I would like one with the black mesh and no letters. My surround is chromed and this looks good painted body color as well, but even if it stayed chromed the mesh center is a HUGE improvement! If you do make these PM me on the price please.

20. Sep 18, 2013 at 5:59 AM
    kevinsc

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 dbl cab
    i will deffinatly send you a pm when i get some made!

Products Discussed in

To Top