1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Undermount Spare Tire Cover?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PaulK, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Aug 12, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    PaulK

PaulK [OP] Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Dublin, OH (but still a Pittsburgh guy)
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Baja Access Cab
    I just got done power washing the underside of my truck after some fun in the dirt, and it was a real PITA to clean up the spare tire. I’m thinking about putting a cheap spare tire cover on it. I would cut a small hole in the center of the cover to allow any water that might get in there to drain out. I was also going to keep the tire mounted valve side up and just add a valve extension that would hang out of the top of the cover – steel braided ones are inexpensive on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DHUK1D6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is there any reason why this might be a bad idea?

2. Aug 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    If you do a lot of wheeling, you will probably be replacing it rather often.

3. Aug 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    PaulK

PaulK [OP] Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Dublin, OH (but still a Pittsburgh guy)
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Baja Access Cab
    I don’t have plans to do any heavy wheeling or rock crawling – just some weekend puddle jumping and camping. I figure that I’ll have to replace it every spring just because of freeze/thaw and road salt. They are really cheap on Amazon, so this isn’t a big deal. I think it would be worth it to keep the spare clean and the wheel protected from salt, dirt, and stone chips. I just don’t know if this will actually make things worse for some reason, that’s why I asked the experts.

Products Discussed in

To Top