1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Amp Install 2013 Tacoma with standard touch screen head unit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by pierguidi, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Aug 11, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    pierguidi

pierguidi [OP] Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4x4 4cyl SR5
    A.R.E. cap, fog lights, WeatherTech floor liners
    :( The audio quality and loudness on my 2013 Access Cab Toyota Tacoma leaves a LOT to be desired (factory touchscreen head unit with front door speakers and headliner "back speakers" which are simply awful and best ignored). The audio is particularly lacking when I either Bluetooth or USB connect my iPhone 4 music as I find myself cranking up the volume sometimes to max... this introduces distortion, reduces base and simply causes auditory fatigue especially when I have my windows open on those gorgeous summer days here in the Northeast. :confused: Thinking of leaving the in-dash unit alone but ADDING AN AMP AND UPGRADING FRONT DOOR SPEAKERS. :cool: Budget is limited to maybe $250-300 for something like 1) the Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack amplifier (4 channel x 50 watts) and 2) new speakers for the front doors - and 3) MAYBE moving the factory front speakers to the access doors (and thereby replacing the crap speakers in the headliner). MY QUESTIONS ARE THESE: :help: A) how do I capture (wire) the factory unit audio output and feed it into this amp? e.g. Do I re-route (splice into) the existing wires to the speakers or are there pre-amp outputs on the factory head unit? :help: B) How do I (and do I have to) shut off the factory amp? how? :help: C) do I need some kind of compatibility wire harness that I can simply plug-and-play? Finally: :help: D) any suggestion as to which speakers I should get for the font doors? thinking about Alpine SPS-610C. Amp and speakers from Crutchfield. Any Thoughts? THANKS GUYS & GALS!

2. Aug 12, 2013 at 12:49 AM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    A) To capture the factory unit's wire and feed it to the amp, you would need something like the AudioControl LC6i or JL Audio CleanSweep. It goes between the factory HU and aftermarket amp. If I were doing this, I'd probably go with the LC6i.

B) I don't think there is a way to shut off the factory amp inside the HU. But you wouldn't need to shut if off if you used the AudioControl LC6i or JL Audio CleanSweep.

C) Both the LC6i and CleanSweep are pretty much plug and play. Re-route the wires currently going to the speakers to the LC6i/CleanSweep. Then run RCA type cables from the LC6i/CleanSweep to your aftermarket amp. Then run speaker wires from the aftermarket amp to the speakers.

D) Those Aplines are good. What's your budget? For a little more than the Alpines, you could get a few different Polk Audio or Infinity components from Crutchfield. There are a few sets of them and lots of people seem to like them. But a lot of people like those Alpines too. Its best if you can listen to them at a store. That way you can compare for yourself.

You might consider replacing the factory head unit first, and then upgrading your speakers when your budget allows it. I've always seen better results from upgrading the just the HU than I have from upgrading just the speakers. Plus if you plan on replacing the HU at some point, you'll have essentially wasted money on the LC6i or CleanSweep. But if you plan on keeping the factory HU then disregard the last few sentences. ;)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  3. Aug 12, 2013 at 7:56 AM
    pierguidi

pierguidi [OP] Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4x4 4cyl SR5
    :) Thanks RIVERDOG for the fast reply... Having a limited budget (just blew $1900 on an A.R.E cap, another $175 on fog lights!) I think I'm going to stick to the factory Head Unit. Would love to have built-in GPS for those "instant road trips" but my hand held is fine for now. I'll re-post after I'm done... :)

ONE MORE THING: Any thoughts on taking the old (replaced) front door speakers and installing them into the back (access) doors - - and wiring them in place of the poor overhead "headliner" speakers? The head unit has a balance control for the front (door) and back (overhead "headliner") speakers which doesn't do much of anything right now. The overhead "headliner" speakers I think are just for sound fill now... having decent speakers in the back doors maybe would also help with overall sound quality. BTW, I believe the back doors do have a place for speakers that's now hidden behind the cover vinyl.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  4. Aug 12, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    SoCalTacos

SoCalTacos Turd runner

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    This guy has a used lc6i if you're interested for your setup. I used it for 6 months then upgraded my hu. If you want good sound with a stock hu you definitely need some sort of audio control unit to fine tune the sound. Let me know if you're interested. . I have a for sale thread somewhere.

5. Aug 12, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    pierguidi

pierguidi [OP] Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4x4 4cyl SR5
    Thanks SoCalTacos!
    Yes, would like to know what the used lc6i goes for... if you have a link or thread for the used unit, please let me know.

6. Aug 12, 2013 at 8:26 AM
    SoCalTacos

SoCalTacos Turd runner

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
  7. Aug 12, 2013 at 2:28 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I don't have an access cab so I haven't dealt with it personally, but it is possible to put speakers in the rear doors of an access cab. If you search within the Audio/Video section you'll see where a few guys have done this. There are places to mount speakers in the rear doors, but no wiring to them. So you'll have to cut the wires to the headliner speakers and re-route those wires to the rear doors. Then you'll either have to cut a hole in the plastic door panel, or buy a door panel from an older model with openings for the speakers. Here's what those two options could end up looking like.

[​IMG]

a4azemuq_251802232fc43d1814b59dafa7f89b49e66bb61f.jpg

8. Aug 12, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Hey Riverdog, the top picture with the homemade speaker grill, is there a thread written up for that one? it's really nicely done, i want to do the same thing.

thanks

9. Aug 12, 2013 at 7:52 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I don't know if there's a write up on that or not. Its just a picture that I've seen in a few threads. You might try PMing evanmb31 since I've seen him post that picture in a few different threads. I think he's just reposting it from someone else, but it might get you one step closer to finding the source of it.

10. Aug 12, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    Sub'd

OP, I'm with you on this one. I want to keep the stock HU in my truck but want better quality sound and louder. Can't hear anything with the windows down.

Also, here is a thread on something you might be interested in for the GPS apps on you're phone. Check out the last page. Apparently there is a cable that will allow A/V input from you're iPhone. I haven't tried it yet. Still waiting to hear if it's legit.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...2013-stereo-background-change-possible-4.html

11. Aug 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    A) either of those two options are going to kill his budget ($120 for the LC6i or $300 for the CleanSweep). As for the Alpine PowerPack amp, see C) below, it fits in that same lump.

B) yes, very unlikely to find a factory HU where you can shut off the internal amplifier

C) Neither the LC6i nor the CleanSweep are "Plug n Play"... both require routing speaker wire inputs from the radio to the unit, and then RCA's to the amp, which also, in and of itself, is not "Plug n Play" and I would say for those that haven't installed an amplifier before is likely to be one of the more difficult pieces of equipment to install (note qualifications in that statement, this is my opinion)

D) Agree with the Alpines, very good speaker for the money. With stated budget ($250-300) he's not going to get very far beyond the speakers and a small 2ch amp

I do agree that replacing the HU will yield better results, especially with the connection between his iPhone (use the USB cord, not bluetooth), and will allow much better expansion options in the future.

IMO if replacing parts of system individually, Headunit -> front speakers -> 4ch Amp -> Sub -> Sub Amp -> rear speakers.

Can also completely eliminate rear speakers, and use that money on better fronts and use 4ch amp to bridge to front components or bi-amp if xovers on front components allow.

From OP (and 2nd reply):
    3) I would highly discourage using stock front speakers for rears. You're looking to replace the stock fronts for a reason, putting them in the rear is not going to give you anything but trouble and IMO disappointment.

Products Discussed in

To Top