1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Custom Monitor Install Ideas?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by WATacoRider, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Aug 14, 2013 at 11:04 PM
    WATacoRider

WATacoRider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    I don't typically do stuff like this, so I don't really know what's available and what my options are.

No Navi, so I'm going the ghetto route with my rear view camera and monitor. Installed my own camera and picked up this poverty monitor off ebay. The camera was more expensive than the monitor. So I have less than $70 in the cam/mon. I spent another $20 for installation material. :eek:
    It comes with this shitty ass mount, but I cant put it anywhere. Well, I can put it on my dash, but I don't want it to get jacked and not to mention, will block my view.
    [​IMG]

I need some ideas on how to mount without spending stupid money, otherwise, would be cheaper to buy an indash system.

I would love to mount it on the center rear seat, so I can look back and see what I'm doing and see the monitor, but I'm sure doing a seat install like that will be $$$$$.
    I was thinking maybe using my sun visor then. I can put it like in the 2nd, then fold it down like in 3rd pic when it's in use. Need to figure out what kind of mount for it. I was thinking of using some sort of strap to hold down a backing. Then have the angle piece mounted to the backing, so nothing is really permanent.

4th pic is I could try to cut up the visor and install it on the inside sort of like how they do it in headrests?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Aug 14, 2013 at 11:08 PM
    adio

adio Well-Known Member

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
  3. Aug 14, 2013 at 11:09 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Wait you want to mount it behind you, to look at, while you're backing up....?

What about in front of the shifter?

4. Aug 14, 2013 at 11:11 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
  5. Aug 14, 2013 at 11:55 PM
    WATacoRider

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Well, the main reason I got the camera is for backing up and lining up with the hitch and trailer.

I was using these for 2 years.

I finally bent one of them. They did help a lot, but I was still required to get out and adjust a once or twice.

6. Aug 14, 2013 at 11:56 PM
    WATacoRider

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  7. Aug 16, 2013 at 7:41 PM
    WATacoRider

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    I'm 98% sure I'm going to try and put it on the inside face of the visor. We shall see.

8. Aug 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM
    WATacoRider

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    I just got done doing the install. Now to mount the visor up and see how it holds up.

I think actual work was maybe less than an hr or maybe 1 hr at most. But overall, I think it took me 4hrs because I'll do something. Then go online and bullshit and look at ideas and such.

I think it looks pretty nice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  9. Aug 20, 2013 at 8:15 PM
    DannyD

DannyD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB
    looks good. If you want that thing to actually be visible for navigation too get one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOUNTEK-Car...547?pt=GPS_Holders_Mounts&hash=item230c52354b Check to make shur your gamrmin will fit, theres other types if not, all on ebay.

I just ordered one for my nexus 7 tablet, looks like it will mount in a pretty sweet location blocking the cd player, the only thing nobody ever uses these days.

With this tablet Im goona turn it into an odb2 reader with real time info sent over wirelessly. Dashcam. Music player. Full navigation system. And I think I can even tap in to my rear view camera wirelessly and view that. Gotta love technology

10. Aug 20, 2013 at 9:12 PM
    WATacoRider

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    I must say, that is very cool. I like the idea. Hopefully I'll remember it when I get a tablet or something.

Products Discussed in

To Top