1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lifting my taco with the warranty

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by machineman89, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Aug 15, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    machineman89

machineman89 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    San Leandro
    Vehicle:
    overlanding limo in progress :-P
    Weather tech floor mats, fog light any time mod, derped front embelem, Pelfretbilt 3 hoop plate bumper, 10k warn xeon winch-s some leds, pelfreybilt roof rack, scs stealth series rims, wrangler authority tires, BAMF 96" bolt on sliders, BAMF dif skid, some dirt....
  2. Aug 15, 2013 at 12:00 PM
    machineman89

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    San Leandro
    Vehicle:
    Weather tech floor mats, fog light any time mod, derped front embelem, Pelfretbilt 3 hoop plate bumper, 10k warn xeon winch-s some leds, pelfreybilt roof rack, scs stealth series rims, wrangler authority tires, BAMF 96" bolt on sliders, BAMF dif skid, some dirt....
    Hmmm OK I have to go to the dealer soon n I'll see what some of the other service reps say... then try another dealership n keep trying, what's a high price for the labor they would charge u believe?..... it would be piece of mind down the road if they did the lift..... if they attempt to blame it for sumthen else....... they totally never would try that right?:rolleyes:

3. Aug 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM
    Future Tacoma

Future Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Purchased a new 2013 Tacoma Double Cab 4WD
    Stock at this time.
    I have a 2013 Tacoma 4WD DCSB TRD Offroad I bought for my wife in May and I had a shop that our Toyota dealer uses for their lift kits and they installed a complete OME for us.

The Tacoma looks great.

I bought an extended warranty for my wife and I was concerned about voiding it.

The dealership told me it might. They would not give me a definite answer one way or the other. That is why I chose to use the independent shop they use. If things do fail I am going to be upset to say the least.

I hope it works out for us.

I had an ARB front bumper installed, sliders, complete set of 4 skid plates and various other aftermarket things done so I wanted her to have a lift.

I hope I did not make a mistake I guess we will see.

Take your time.

Good luck.

4. Aug 15, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    Konvict KROG

Konvict KROG Live Free or Die Trying

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Old Toyota's, Power Wagon, and a Tacoma
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.
    i talked to the dealer when i bought my 13 and thier recomendationwas to use a spacer lift and it wouldnt void anything

i got the platinum 125k warranty as well as the lifetime powertrain

he said that the spacer qualifies as "leveling kit" and that they dont consider a leveling kit to cause any problems.

in the future i plan to go with OME and some sort of UCA

5. Aug 15, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    I just purchased a new 2013 in June and had a 3 inch lift done by the dealer. They told me that was the max allowable lift and remain under warranty. They wanted 1500, but I got them down to 1000 dollars for the parts and labor including alignment which they had to do twice because they had the rear out of alignment.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  6. Aug 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    machineman89

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    San Leandro
    Vehicle:
    If I took my.truck to 4wp the parts touched by them would be warrantied.by them n eberthing else would be by toyota still

7. Aug 15, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson Keyboard Warrior

Member:
    Sacramento,CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    One can never have too many light bars.
    Even If a dealer says it's covered by warranty, if you bring it win for a warranty defect they are going to try to get out of it even if they know that the lift didnt cause the issue. Whatever you do, get it in writing.

8. Aug 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    I sure hope that's all new shocks, springs and at least an AAL. If they charged you $1,000 for spacers I'd be pretty mad.

9. Aug 15, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    savedone

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    I believe it was spacers. They offered one kind only for the 3" to keep warranty.

10. Aug 15, 2013 at 5:05 PM
    savedone

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    To tell the truth I don't know how to tell the difference in types of lifts and as for dakars I have no clue what that is.

11. Aug 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Unfortunately I think your dealer knew that too. A Rough Country 3" spacer lift costs $250 for parts. If that's what they gave you, I'd go back and get some money back! $750 for labor would not make me a happy camper.

12. Aug 15, 2013 at 6:31 PM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Either way, that kit is only $350 so he still got way over charged for install.

13. Aug 23, 2013 at 4:47 PM
    machineman89

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    San Leandro
    Vehicle:
    Talked to my service rep at my dealership n he said toyota is one of the least picky when it comes to honoring warranty work unless it was blatenly messed up by a new aftermarket lift.... may be ordering my parts sooner then I thought

14. Aug 23, 2013 at 6:37 PM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Sweet! :thumbsup:

15. Aug 24, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    machineman89

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    San Leandro
    Vehicle:
    Helps that the dealer was located in oakland too.....:rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top