1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

13 Year Report

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by AviateGW, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Aug 16, 2013 at 12:13 PM
    AviateGW

AviateGW [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Atlanta area
    Vehicle:
    Black '99 3.4 SR5 4x4. OME/Dakar
    16x8 KONIG Countersteer Offroads from FN, OME/881s in front, OME shocks/Dakar leafs in back. K&N CAI, and last, but not least, TRD Shift knob.
    I thought I'd give a brief history of my truck; hopefully it will be somewhat interesting/helpful.

I ordered my truck in 1999 from Tuscaloosa Toyota, in Alabama. I paid just under $24K at the time. When I went with the salesrep for my first drive, the truck had .03 miles on the odometer. It's a 3.4 Xtra-cab V6, with the 5 speed, hitch, cruise, manual hubs, air condtioning, and a sunroof. This truck is exactly what I wanted. At present, the truck has 174,XXX miles on the odometer and is running well. I am religious about scheduled maintenance and have addressed issues as they came up.

Good:

I've driven to New Mexico, Florida, the Carolinas, and all points in between in this truck. I've towed pianos, washing machines, dirt bikes, and even other trailered cars at various points in my ownership of this truck, with no problems at all from a power or braking standpoint. My truck has been a Southern truck all of its life and has rarely, if ever, seen any road salt; as such, there isn't a speck of rust on the truck. This truck is my daily driver and I expect to own it for quite some time to come.

Bad:

This truck has been nearly bullet-proof! That being said, my A/C compressor blew up on my during a road trip in the summer of '08 to the tune of $600. This has been the most expensive unexpected issue so far. I did have a clutch replaced at 120k miles, and I had the timing-belt/water pump replaced at 100k. The rear U-joint finally made its imminent failure known last summer; when I took it to the driveline shop, they said the both the center double cardan joint and the front U-joint looked to be in good condition. Other small issues included a spark plug wire shorting out, a throttle position sensor going bad, and though this was not the truck's fault, a cross threaded spark pulg blew out of the hole. This required the purchase of a Time-Sert kit and a tense afternoon of successfully inserting a new insert into the place of the mangled threads in the head.
    Current mechanical issues on the truck include leaky valve cover gaskets, and a squeaky clutch. I'll be taking care of these with the help of this form.

Ugly:

My headlight covers/plastic look horrible. I'm surprised I can see anything at night. My Toyota bug shield is starting to break apart. It's ugly, but I've had it since I picked it up from the dealer, so I think it'll stay around for a while.

I hope to get a few more years with my truck. I've read here of 300k mi 3.4 trucks; I hope I'm that lucky. I'm very happy with this truck and frankly, if I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd probably go ahead and order some new headlight lenses...

aug 13 030.jpg
    aug 13 070.jpg
    aug 13 101.jpg
    aug 13 105.jpg

2. Aug 17, 2013 at 4:37 AM
    DAMOS

DAMOS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    04 Dub Cab TRD 4x4
    TRD sc Magna flow cat back
    I bet 1 more good thing is that it's paid for.
    my buddy has a 96 V6 with 250k on it. he supercharger it at 200k. the thing runs great.

3. Aug 17, 2013 at 7:01 AM
    Highboy90

Highboy90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's a BIG plus.

Nice report. Your Tacoma has been a good truck with more years to go.

4. Aug 17, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    No problems with the motor, tranny, brakes, steering in all those years. Thats great service. Only $600 for a new compressor ... a steal.

I bought mine, used, about 3 years ago, and love it. Paid cash, so no payments. The previous owner had to repair a burned valve, thats about it, as far as I know, other than regular maintenance.

5. Aug 17, 2013 at 8:08 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Sounds like the truck has been good to you over the years. I imagine I still would be driving my 1997 if not for the frame issue. New England road salt killed it.

6. Aug 17, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    tacomawammer

tacomawammer Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    wammer
    canada
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma trd
    a 40 dollar headlight restoration kit = like new headlights

7. Aug 17, 2013 at 10:01 AM
    BigOly

BigOly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB TRD/OR 4x4
    Thanks for that report OP. I love the extreme durability of our 1st gens! Like another posted, It's even better when the truck is already paid in full, no car payments ftw! :D

8. Aug 17, 2013 at 11:09 AM
    Loggerhead

Loggerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seán
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 TRD 5spd 3.4 Xtra Cab
    I'm glad to hear that you're truck's been so good to you over the years. These are great trucks. I have a 98 with the 4cyl and can't see ever getting rid of it until someone wrecks into it for me, but hopefully this won't ever happen. The reliability and the places these things can go is unbeatable.

I hope you enjoy your truck for years to come!

9. Aug 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    ROCKIN RICHIE

ROCKIN RICHIE Well-Known Member

Member:
    BEAN TOWN
    Vehicle:
    02'TACO
    Great comment about winning lottery and spending $40 on your truck . That about says everything. Mines only 12 years old but I feel the same way. Oh yeah... just think how earlier you'll be able to retire w/o sinking money into new vehicles all the time. These Tacos really are like an old friend, sounds bizarre unless you've had one? GOOD LUCK!

10. Aug 20, 2013 at 11:56 PM
    phoenix ray

phoenix ray Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ray
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    00 PreRunner X-cab TRD
    5100's, AAL, AEM/Spectre true CAI , Magnaflow muffler with mandrel-bent exhaust and header, 4.88's, BFG KO2 12.5 x 33 on 15" AmRacing Outlaw II's, 17" electric cooling fan in factory shroud, frame-mounted remote large-size oil filter, adjustable cam sprocket
    250k. Replaced TRD Bilsteins with 5100's at 180k -- xlnt investment. Radiator and water pump (just because) around the same time. Clogged cat replaced with Magnaflow at 200k. The surprise? Knock sensor at 105k. Still lovin' the paid-for DD.

11. Aug 21, 2013 at 12:24 AM
    RJ MacReady

RJ MacReady professional trousersnake charmer

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ/Mike Hauncho/HeavyHands
    US OUTPOST North 31-Mayday Mayday! We've found som
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner 4WD LTD - Cheatin' Bitch Build 2
    Cheatin' bitch build 2: All stock for now... 99' Tacoma 4wd TRD Cheatin' bitch build 1: BG44K additive, motul 5w40(always), deckplate mod, K&N washable air filter, 2.5" flow master(cut thanks to Airdog), king fronts 2.5", all pro standard leaf pk, stainless steel rear ext brakeline, 5125's 10" travel rears, 4-jasper offroad 6" pod LED spot lights, secret compartment for small bottle of wild turkey, cobra CB, Hi-lift jack w/locking bed mount, hi lift curved bumper lift & road base plate, smittybuilt X20 winch, wab fab F&R bumpers w/ hitch receivers, smittybuilt 4in1 recov tool, 10gal mini flamethrower, 11 lbs dynamite sticks, 13 4-hr snowflares, .50Cal full auto mounted machine gun w/ RPG unit & a shitoad of death metal to fuckstart your brain...everything you need for first contact with a shape-shifting alien entity frozen for over 100,000 years reanimated & immitating all life it engulfs.
    $10 Turtle Wax restoration kit @ Pep Boys

great to see another 99' owner happy with their 15 yr old purchase

Products Discussed in

To Top