1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Electrical question. 4x4 fuze on 2x4 truck

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Chiloco, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Aug 18, 2013 at 3:11 PM
    Chiloco

Chiloco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner TRD
    Tailgate RedNeck Anti-Theft LED Interior and Exterior Factory after purchase SAT Radio Clasp and Lock on bed Lock Boxes Hard wired the Radar Detector More to come. Just got the truck.... :-)
    So I have a question. I am placing in all my volunteer fire fighter strobe lights on the truck and I see in the fuze box area inside the cab that there is a fuze for the 4x4 option. My truck is not a 4x4 (all the 4x haters out there can make your jokes later cause I have a 2x4) and yet there is a fuze in this position. My question is this. Can I use this slot to power to a separate switch in the truck where the factory switches are on the left of the steering column? Is this fuze powering anything else in the truck? I know it is a 20A fuze that is there and if I use it for something else will replacing the fuze with say a 5A be fine or do I have to stick with the 20A? Also there are four other fuze slots that I see that do not have power going to them when the truck is on or even off. What are these for and is there a way that I can run power to them for my own use? What I totally want to avoid is running a power circuit directly from the battery. I also want to be able to tie in the light I have mounted with the review mirror and the lights that I will be putting in the grill and eventually the lights I will put on the rear window or just above the back of the bed.

So anyone got any good suggestions while I am at on how to best mount the ones that will go in the grill? I have a pair of red showme LEDs.

Thanks in advance. If anyone wants to see where I mounted the LED in the cab and the style of the showme's let me know.

Kris.

2. Aug 18, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    ziggynagy

ziggynagy All Glory To The Hypnotoad

Member:
    Stoughton, MA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Sport AC 4x4 V6 Auto Tow
    Westin step bars, led dome & map lights, tailgate hoseclamp, BluLogic, MetalMiller emblem, 35 tinted front windows, extra OEM d-rings, WeatherTech front/rear
    Fuse 14 powers the 4WD system and the rear differential lock system (you can get all fuse details in your manual). Get a multimeter to doublecheck, but the 4 blank fuses are not powered. Should be fine to run 5A off the 20A fuse 14 tho or fuse 8: trailer lights.

BTW, no "z" in fuse

3. Aug 18, 2013 at 3:42 PM
    ziggynagy

ziggynagy All Glory To The Hypnotoad

Member:
    Stoughton, MA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Sport AC 4x4 V6 Auto Tow
    Westin step bars, led dome & map lights, tailgate hoseclamp, BluLogic, MetalMiller emblem, 35 tinted front windows, extra OEM d-rings, WeatherTech front/rear
    Also, check out the Lighting Forum... sure almost any question you have is answered there.

4. Aug 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM
    Chiloco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner TRD
    Tailgate RedNeck Anti-Theft LED Interior and Exterior Factory after purchase SAT Radio Clasp and Lock on bed Lock Boxes Hard wired the Radar Detector More to come. Just got the truck.... :-)
    BTW, no "z" in fuse[/QUOTE]

Thanks to iPad fat fingers.... Doh!!!!

5. Aug 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    So if his Prerunner is a TRD, the fuse is in-use.

6. Aug 18, 2013 at 10:27 PM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    It's a TRD Sport.

7. Aug 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM
    broken taco

broken taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego / Houston
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD SR5 4WD
    Trail gear 3 Link Solid Axle Swap kit, 14 " Fox coil overs with reservoirs up front, Chevy 63 leaf spring swap with ruff stuffs Chevy 63 swap kit, 14 "Fox shocks on the rear, 37" tires, Custom front bumper by Next Venture Motor Sports with a warn winch, glassworks unlimited fender flares, custom rock rails with kickups (modeled after Relentless Fab Rock sliders), rear bumper from streetacos.com (with custom rap around protection for fiberglass fenders and the hitch receiver hidden behind the license plate that is on hinges), HID off road lights on front bumper, rigid pods on rear bumper with red back lighting, high lift mounted in the bed, onboard air, Flowmaster muffler, aftermarket air intake, alarm system, Alpine Deck, Alpine amp, Alpine speakers, JL W6 12" subwoofer, JL amp.
    If you have a difflock thats what the 4x4 fuse powers. I found that out on my old truck when I put in an add-a-fuse and didn't put the original fuse back in. then got stuck when I went offroading the next time.. :facepalm:
    My suggestion is add-a-fuses. They are my best friend! [​IMG]

8. Aug 19, 2013 at 2:04 AM
    adio

adio Well-Known Member

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    Since I don't have a 4X4, I used that fuse slot to power the motor for the power sliding rear window mod.

Gets power when you just turn the key to "ON".

9. Aug 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM
    Chiloco

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner TRD
    Correct I have a TRD Sport 2x4 LB Double Cab. So I am guessing based on the responses here that the 20A is in use and I will need to tap into something else to use for power?

Anyone got a good idea then as to what / where to tap into for what I want to do? These are LED Strobe lights so amp draw is very little. I also checked again as stated above that I did use a volt meter to see if there was any kind of power output from the other four fuse ports with the truck on and off and nothing ever came through.

In the near future I will be placing lights in the bed of the truck and underneath where the running boards are that will also be LED and yes I did see the write up for that one on another post in the DIY section.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top