1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab HID in Stock Housing

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Chiloco, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Aug 10, 2013 at 7:10 PM
    Chiloco

Chiloco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner TRD
    Tailgate RedNeck Anti-Theft LED Interior and Exterior Factory after purchase SAT Radio Clasp and Lock on bed Lock Boxes Hard wired the Radar Detector More to come. Just got the truck.... :-)
    Ok here is a question for everyone. I know there are a ton of choices / options / and of course opinions on this. I want to change out the stock halogen bulbs for HID ones. I had an 2010 Audi A4 before this new truck and did the HID kit on it without issue and adjusted the beams as I should have after the install to keep the beam in a better position for me and other drivers on the road. That housing on that car had a high beam lamp that was separate from that of the low beam.

For those that have done the kit either by PNP or doing a full retro kit with a projector lens is the H4 HID bulb dual purposed? Meaning does it operate as the low and the high or do you only get low beam (single function) from that blub?

Also does anyone know of a decent kit that is not going to break the bank if you will that will fit the 2013 V6 Double Cab TRD Taco?

Thanks for any insight and assistance in advance. I have been reading a lot on here and there is a plethora of great things.
    :)

2. Aug 10, 2013 at 7:18 PM
    zeekevin

zeekevin Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    I had the pnp kit it was ok for a little bit but the glare was pretty bad. Did the retro and never looked back, so just save up for the retro and call it a day

3. Aug 10, 2013 at 7:21 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Do NOT install HIDs in the stock housing without doing a proper projector retro fit.

You light output will be poor and you will blind oncoming drivers.

4. Aug 10, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    HawaiiTRD

HawaiiTRD "Some people feel the rain, others just get wet"

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM DCSB TRDOR
    Diamondback SE, FITCAMX
    +1

Don't go cheap with the PNP HID kits. Only run HID with projectors. I know they sell cheaper projector headlight housings on Ebay, but I personally don't know how good those are.

I got a kit from TheRetrofitSource and would highly recommend them.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Aug 10, 2013 at 7:27 PM
    HawaiiTRD

HawaiiTRD "Some people feel the rain, others just get wet"

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM DCSB TRDOR
    Diamondback SE, FITCAMX
    The bulbs on our trucks act as both Highs and Lows

6. Aug 21, 2013 at 1:23 PM
    Delliam15

Delliam15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Irmo, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCB PreRunner V6
    Led Interior Lights, HID Headlights and Fogs, Bed Lights, Bak Roll-X Tonneau, 2 10" Subwoofers, Electronic Pop-n-Lock Tailgate lock
    Yes what he said. And the H4 Bi-Xenon bulb is dual purpose with a motor that moves the bulb according to the reflectors in the headlight. But with HID's alone there is way too much glare

7. Aug 21, 2013 at 5:43 PM
    Primo 95

Primo 95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Primo!
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4X4
    265/75/16 S/T Maxx 16X8.5 Level 8 Trackers 5100 1.75 HID, LED interior, 3" N-Fab step bars
    I am not a light engineer..but I have been pretty handy around cars & trucks for over 40 years. The following is my personal knowledge based on my 2012 Tacoma. I am not looking to start an argument or discussion with anyone.

First point of order. H4 bulbs do not have a motor in them. They have 2 filaments. 1 for high one for low.

Before I installed my (Slim Cubby) HID kit in my stock housings. I outlined the stock bulbs pattern against a wall with masking tape & took photos. From a distance of about 15 ft..it gives a very distinct light pattern..and it is basically cut off at the top (not quite as defined as a projector lens), but MY stock beam pattern was similar to a rough half circle. I did not mask out the "light spill" on the outer edges, only the intense pattern.
    I installed my slim cubby 35w HID kit..parked my Tacoma at the same distance and it produced almost the same beam patterned. In fact it had and even more defined cut off on the top than the stock bulbs. I did have to re-aim them. But the HID beam pattern was able to fit in to the same shape I masked off from my stock bulbs.
    I had no intentions of keeping them if anyone flashed me. I drove around for several nights and nobody flashed me. Just to confirm...I actually aimed one a little high to test one night..and just about every single person flashed me. I moved it back down..nobody flashed me.

I have had them installed I my 2012 for over a year and nobody flashes ever. On a side note, I also have a C6 Corvette with factory HID and projectors..and I get flashed in that about once a month ever since I bought in 2005! So go figure.

So I think with proper care when installing, you wont have any issues. As for the light output...as I said the beam pattern is the same, but the light is more intense in the area it covers and obviously whiter.

The slim cubbys ballast warm up very quickly. I ordered a set of DDM tuining HID kits for my Hella 700 off road lights and those take 30 seconds to warm up.

Good Luck with your Project!
    IMG_20130803_102305_zps9c49a35f_41fde7603015c570ef53554b615658d04699dcb7.jpg

8. Aug 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    I'm not a light engineer either. I defer to those who have more knowledge than I.

9. Mar 17, 2014 at 9:05 AM
    Edpsx

Edpsx Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    13' Double Cab Limited MGM
    K&N Intake, Stainless Tube Steps, Pioneer 8500BHS, Coming Soon:, Morimoto H1 Mini, Viper 5704

Long but great read. I like how the reflector housings dont pass the test with PNP HID kits in them.

Products Discussed in

To Top