1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rim recommendation?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by luka, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Aug 21, 2013 at 11:42 PM
    luka

luka [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    so i'm planning on moving up to the big-boy tires and figured getting rims would finally be worth it.

I like the 16x8 but 17s might have a larger selection.

Anyone have to places I should look at?

Not interested in chrome or any of the other brands that have a lot of "jazz" going on.

Nice and simple, 6-spoke symmetrical pattern is enough for me.

I'm kind of on the fence for TRD rims, I can get some for a good price, but they're still pretty pricey.

I'm a n00b with any reference to offset and backspace...I have an idea of what that means, but that's about it.

2. Aug 21, 2013 at 11:51 PM
    2010pyrite

2010pyrite Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    method racing wheels
    theyre offsets are perfect for larger tires, no more than 5" back spacing

3. Aug 22, 2013 at 12:15 AM
    luka

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    [/QUOTE]

I have...hard to justify getting a set of 5 for the cost.

still a big contender though :)

4. Aug 22, 2013 at 12:17 AM
    allenwoo1

allenwoo1 Active Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    07 Access CAB
    check out stealthcustomseries.com they have some nice looking rims and they aren't too overly priced about $175 per rim

5. Aug 22, 2013 at 2:30 AM
    Xer0 SiN

Xer0 SiN Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hilo, HI
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD SPORT TACOMA / 21 LIMITED RAV4
    this and that...
    what is your price range and what size is the min/max youre willing to go?

6. Aug 22, 2013 at 3:33 AM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    Rims completely alter the look of the truck, so don't lowball. They are like a lift; buy once, cry once. You'll regret later not getting what you want the first time and be out of even more money. As you can see, I'm a fan of TRD rims. Stealth 6 and MT Sidebiters are nice as well.

7. Aug 22, 2013 at 4:08 AM
    Bsnaylor

Bsnaylor Live For The Moment

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Black SR5 DC 4x4 Off-Road
    OME 3" lift, SCS Stealth 6 rims, Wrangler Kevlar 285s
    After all my researching on TW and looking at pictures of all different types, I've decided to go with the Stealth 6 Matte Blacks. From what I've read above, they are exactly when you're looking for. Right now they are on a 60 day back order, but I'm set on them and will wait as long as it takes. I can't wait to get them!

8. Aug 22, 2013 at 4:34 AM
    Xer0 SiN

Xer0 SiN Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hilo, HI
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD SPORT TACOMA / 21 LIMITED RAV4
    this and that...
    i completely agree with what krob said. i bought my truck in december and decided to go the "safe" route after reading various posts on tacomaworld. ive been through three completely different lifts and four different sets of wheels and tires before i settled what i originally wanted. i did a lot of backtracking and regret not going with what i wanted from the get go. in the end i did go with my original plan (full icon suspension, 10" of total lift, welds t56 20x14 w/295/55/20 trail graps), but could have saved a bunch of money in the process lol. moral of the story: dont skimp on what you want, cause youre either gonna regret it later or youre gonna waste money and buy it later on anyways LOL.

9. Aug 22, 2013 at 9:25 AM
    luka

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    thanks for the info everybody.

I tried looking around last night and the TRD forged rims posted above seem to be off the catalog now.

The stealth-6's look great, and very reasonably priced. I'm planning on a 255/80/17 but originally wanted 255/85/16. It should be big enough to handle the places here and still fit into most places.

I'd love a set of those FJ Anthracite, too bad they cut production :(

Products Discussed in

To Top