1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilsteins set at 2.5 and airbags in the back...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hardytoy, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Aug 27, 2013 at 10:42 PM
    hardytoy

hardytoy [OP] Member

Member:
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    13 4x4 TRD DoubleCab
    Bilstein 5100s set to 2.5, 1.5 aal, Airlift Ride Control Airbags, Extang SolidFold tonneau, pop & lock, Interior Led lights
    Hey all. Need some advice. I bought a 2013 4x4 TRD off road double cab and it didn't take long until I wanted to modify it a bit.
    I have a small lifted travel trailer that I tow as well (~2000 lbs). The trailers sits about 2-3 inches higher than my hitch, so naturally i decided I should lift my truck :) I really like the look of the slightly lifted Tacoma with larger tires and wheels, plus I wanted a little bit extra clearance for a little light offloading.
    I started with a call to the dealer. They wanted to do a spacer lift and rear block for $1200. So I thought I would shop around- went to a local 4x4 shop; they suggested a revtek 3" inch spacer and a 1.5inch AAL. They said I could squeeze in some 28570R17 on a 17inch wheel with a 5inch backspace. This all sounded pretty great to me. They said that Toyota warranty loves the revtek kit.
    After doing some research on TW, I decided I didn't want to do the spacer kit and decided on the bilstein 5100s all the way around and keep the stock springs. Set the fronts to 2.5 so I could squeeze the tires in. I was also going to add the 1.5 AAl, but the guy at the shop said it would make my truck look ass high and that I should do nothing in the back (seems weird to me after reading everything on this forum). Was going to do the 1.5 aal anyway, because I tow and need a little height and stiffness. The main install guy said the solution was to add some airbags and then I can add a little height and stiffen the back when needed for towing. This seemed to be the perfect solution.
    Had it done last week. I get the tires and wheels tomorrow.
    My experience driving on the bilsteins set to 2.5 is actually pretty good. I don't know how I feel about the airbags. I have them set at about 20 psi to make the truck look level and not have the bro-lean. It rides reasonably well, and I like the feel of the truck better than stock. I just don't think I should be using the airlift bags to jack up the back though. Also, everything I read about offroading with them is that you should put them down to 5 psi. I did that and bottomed out on the bottom stops like crazy when off road. I actually thought I tore the bag on my first trip, turns out it was just crushed and when I inflated it back to 40 psi, it came out of its deformity.
    Anyway, I am getting the wheels and tires on tomorrow. I am going for 28570r17 on a fuel wheel with a 5inch backspacing, which I am told won't rub if the front mud flap is removed. I'll post some pictures when it is done, but I really feel like I am going to do something more with the lift and back end. What do you all think about adding a 1.5 aal along with the airlift ride control airbags I already have installed. The guy at the shop said it would be too stiff with both, but if the airbags are sitting at 5 psi will they even affect the ride?
    IMG_9425.jpg-picture taken after lift with bilstein 5100s at 2.5 and airbags at 5 psi (no lift in the back).

IMG_3530.jpg -picture taken before the lift, obviously I need a few inches to level this gem of a trailer. I will gain about an inch with the larger tires, and can gain another inch or two with the airbags, but I wonder if I should add a 1.5 aal too?

2. Aug 28, 2013 at 6:54 AM
    aubi1414

aubi1414 War Eagle!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport Blue Ribbon Metallic
    LED Dome, LED Map, LED License Plate Bulbs, , Konig SixShooters Matte Black, Toyo Open Country ATII's 285 70 17, Satoshi, Bilstein 5100s (set to 0), 885s, LR UCA's, Icon RR 2.0 +2, All Pro Standard 3" Leaf Pack, All Pro Flip Kit, Sway Bar Relocate, Exhaust Chop, Antenna X 14", Debadged, Tint, Matt123 Black TRD Skid, Black Weathertech Mats
    Good looking truck. Are you going to have to get UCA's with them set at 2.5 or did your alignment come out ok? I would do a progressive leaf pack v an aal. Just not sure if that works with airbags as I am not to familiar with them.

3. Aug 28, 2013 at 7:05 AM
    hardytoy

hardytoy [OP] Member

Member:
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    13 4x4 TRD DoubleCab
    Bilstein 5100s set to 2.5, 1.5 aal, Airlift Ride Control Airbags, Extang SolidFold tonneau, pop & lock, Interior Led lights
    Thanks! Not sure about UCAs yet. They didn't do the alignment yet, going to get it done today when I get my new wheels and tires. I am going to ask for a copy of the alignment. Probably will eventually get new UCAs because I can see they are stretched to the limit! I don't like the idea of something being stressed on my brand new truck. I have a feeling I am going to end up replacing the coils or doing a coilover next, in which case I will definitely do the UCAs. Thanks for the advice on the leaf springs. Are the progressive a leaf replacement option versus an aal?

4. Aug 28, 2013 at 7:14 AM
    sfcadams

sfcadams Retired Senior NCO

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Elizabeth, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road DCSB Prerunner Skeewped
    Subbed for pics of new wheels and tires!

5. Aug 28, 2013 at 7:33 AM
    HighTQCummins

HighTQCummins Instagram: stormtrooptaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    '12 SW DCSB Sport
    5% all around, derp'd wheels, FMS40, 30" E-Series, 55w 6k bi's, 35w 5k fogs
    be careful in putting an AAL or higher height leaves in the rear, there are bag spacers to be installed so that they are not over stretched, or daystar makes these landing pads that allow the bags to float when not in use, and then when aired up, or the truck squats, they sit down on the pads.

daystar cradles I think they're called, i'll try to find a link for them for you

edit: http://daystarweb.com/productdetail.php?productID=1232

6. Sep 2, 2013 at 8:51 PM
    hardytoy

hardytoy [OP] Member

Member:
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    13 4x4 TRD DoubleCab
    IMG_3676.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg

Here is my truck with my travel trailer. I'm not sure how I feel about the airlift airbags in the back. I have to pump it up to 40 psi to level the truck without the trailer and about 50 psi with it. I'm thinking about doing a 1 inch block, and then I can keep the bags at 15 psi and still be level. Not sure, might even do a 1.5 aal, I actually like a little rake. I am just afraid I will have too stiff of a rear suspension with both a 1.5 aal and the airbags.
    I like the idea of the cradles so I can still go romping without fear of tearing a bag. Thanks HighTQCummins, I'll check those out!

7. Sep 7, 2013 at 7:19 PM
    hardytoy

hardytoy [OP] Member

Member:
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    13 4x4 TRD DoubleCab
    Got a 1.5 aal put on my truck today, while still keeping the airlift bags! Much happier with the look and ride! I'll post pictures later. I have about .5 inch rake again, which I like.

8. Sep 7, 2013 at 9:14 PM
    hdtrader

hdtrader Active Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma
    ...looking good!

9. Jul 6, 2014 at 5:44 AM
    EdinCincinnati

EdinCincinnati Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OR
    Hey OP- any updates to this post?

I have the same setup. 5100s all around. Progressive AALs in rear, firestone ride-rites but I complete disconnected the bags from the lower plate but put some rubber roof flashing on the lower plate so when the bags hit they don't slide off. This has worked remarkably well for 20,000+ miles. I also connected my bags with a T valve.

Products Discussed in

To Top