1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Extang Handle Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Glamdring71, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Aug 28, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    Glamdring71

Glamdring71 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi guys. Can any of you with an Extang cover help me out?

I got a Trifecta a few weeks ago, and it always seems like a hassle to pull down the handles inside to get it open. Last week, I slowed down and took a good look to see what the problem is.

As you can see in the pic, the plastic piece on the handle retention clip hits against the bolt heads that hold the assembly to the rail.

I spoke to Extang and they sent me a new hardware kit. I was hoping for smaller bolt heads, but it's exactly the same. I'm awaiting their next step now.

Can some of you guys with Extangs tell me if you encountered this? Is yours installed differently? Thanks so much!

extang.jpg

2. Aug 28, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    buickv6

buickv6 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC off-road, yes it's a US truck
    I didn't use any of the hardware, I just spring clip right on to the factory rails. Works great and looks alot better imho

3. Aug 29, 2013 at 1:45 AM
    Hybridctr

Hybridctr Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have an extang solid fold and the mounts don't fit at all. When you screw it on it hits the screws that hold the rails on. Also be careful when closing the top, I closed it but the plastic arm flung out and dented the backside of the top. I can't believe they used cheap plastic arms. If I knew then what I know now I would not get this top.

Also when you close the gate it it pushes in the rubber seal between the top and the gate. You have to push the top up so the rubber straightens up and sits flat between the top and gate. Yah... this is pretty stupid as well.

Not a great design by far. If they really want to open the gate you can easily open the gate when both PLASTIC arms are locked and unlock it.

4. Aug 29, 2013 at 6:18 PM
    TACOMA APA

TACOMA APA MFIC

Member:
    First Name:
    JOE
    EL PASO, TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD OFF ROAD SR5 4X4
    3" pro comp coil over suspension and add a leaf in the rear.
    mine works badass for some reason mine clips rest on the edge of the bracket so the bolt head isnt an issue. i guess some have little defects. but all in all very happy with mine. try what buickv6 said ive latched on before like that and works good.

5. Aug 29, 2013 at 6:51 PM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
  6. Aug 29, 2013 at 7:59 PM
    Jere

Jere Outdoorsman

Member:
    Northern Chester County, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Sport MGM with ARE Cap
    What he said

Get rid of the clip, just set the spring handle directly into your rail. I only used the clip for the front, screw on connections.

7. Aug 29, 2013 at 9:35 PM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    Didn't use the brackets on front or back. All four hooked direct to the rails. No probs.

Products Discussed in

To Top