1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension lift questions

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by DrArbo, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Sep 1, 2013 at 6:38 AM
    DrArbo

DrArbo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Weston, WV
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma
    I have installed 3" lift kits on two 1st gen. Tacoma's and I have a few questions concerning the addition on a 2013 Tacoma.

I am wondering if I should just get spacers for the front coil and add-a-leaf for the back, or if I should get coil-overs for the front. What is the difference between the two, a better ride quality?

How much of a lift could be added before new UCA's are needed?

Will there need to be any wheel spacers to clear a 12.5" wide tire?

I know this may be broad but I was just wondering a few things and I am a new member to this forum, didn't know exactly where to post.

Best regards,
    Derek

2. Sep 1, 2013 at 6:47 AM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius

General consensus on here is spacers are garbage. If you're going to change something so crucial on your truck, better do it right the first time.

I was doing TONS of research since about March/April on lift kits and about 3 weeks ago placed my order and just yesterday installed my lift kit on my '13.

Lots of people on TW recommend anything over 2"-2.5" you should get new UCAs.

Here is my thread I posted yesterday:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/293161-ome-kit-finally-installed.html

Let me know if you have any questions and I can do my best to answer them.

3. Sep 1, 2013 at 6:52 AM
    field76

field76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Bozeman
    Vehicle:
    2012 PM TRD OR DCAB
    Debadged, audio upgrade, silex organizers, AVS in channel window vents, 5100s on all corners with Wheelers 3 leaf HD AAL
    I just put Bilstein 5100s on all corners. Set the front to 2.5" and reused the stock springs upfront and Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL in the rear for just over 1.5" in the back. Looks great, was easy enough, Wheelers was great to deal with. YotaDan from Wheelers told me that @2.5" on the newer Tacomas you don't need to add anything else.

4. Sep 1, 2013 at 6:58 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    There's no quick answer to the types of lift. Read the lift FAQ: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/11282-tacoma-lift-faq-guide-read.html

Typically any lift above 2" will require new UCAs to get caster back up to an acceptable range.

A 12.5" wide tire is too wide to fit on the stock 7.5" wide wheels. You'll need aftermarket wheels anyway, so just buy wheels with less backspacing and spacers won't be necessary. Note the smallest 12.5" wide tire on TireRack is 33x12.5-17 (e.g. General Grabber AT2). You'll need at least a 17x9" wheel. A lot of fender trimming and probably cab mount chop would be needed to fit this tire.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top