1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions for Contractors

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by XXXX, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Jul 17, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    XXXX

XXXX [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    I figured this site needs a specific place to ask contractors questions and get correct answers and for contractors to ask each other questions and BS. I know we have more then our fare share of guys and gals doing good work in here.

I was thinking it would be good that when someone answers they provide a quick summary of their credentials to start off. It's always good to know the guy answering your specific questions isn't an apprentice with little to no life experience.

2. Jul 17, 2012 at 8:58 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Good idea Boyd

I'm a carpenter by trade , I've been at it for 24 years now

I'm also a General Contractor and have had my own company for 13 years

3. Jul 17, 2012 at 9:03 AM
    XXXX

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    I'm an estimator and project manager for a union glazing company on the east coast.

I have been working with glass and aluminum for 22 years (started as a jobsite gopher when I was 10).

I received my training in the field thanks to old school Pollocks and Italians in my family.

4. Jul 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Good idea for a thread Boyd. +1

5. Aug 4, 2012 at 6:13 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    I am a local #1 plumber
    i have been doing plumbing for a long ass time...(24+years)
    started with my uncle when i was real young
    now i am an inspector with nycha / nyfd
    i mainly do inspections of the beach now.....
    i have to make sure the tides rises as said......
    UNION PRIDE......
    [​IMG]

6. Aug 4, 2012 at 6:15 AM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    I have no idea what I do, but I'm really really good at it. Here if anyone has questions.

7. May 30, 2013 at 10:18 AM
    XXXX

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
  8. May 30, 2013 at 11:01 AM
    DCGirl

DCGirl Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    2 questions
    attic fans for house
    and roof replacement on garage

I know the answer is usually get an estimate from a local contractor...but I don't want to waste anyones time if I can't afford to do it yet. I am interested in installing two attic fans since it is getting unbearably hot in my old 1930's house w/ plaster walls and no insulation and it's not even hot outside yet! It's a big attic space, roof probably should be replaced within 10 years, inspector said this before buying last year.

What else would help with cooling the house? I am also planning to get a screen door for the front so I can allow more air flow. Central AC is likely way too expensive right now since they seem to cost $4k not including install. Is there another option besides portable Ac and window ac? Last time I had a portable AC it was really loud. Although I am thinking of picking one up today so my family visiting this weekend isn't miserable :rolleyes:

How much does a garage roof installation usually cost? replacing wood and shingles. The garage is two car about 400 sq. ft
    The roof on garage is leaking and whoever installed it did a bad job.

9. May 30, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    XXXX

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Been a while..... I quit that job and now I started a engineered glass entrance division for a large glass manufacturing company. Oh how I miss baby sitting union guys and running around all the time when I was a sub contractor :rolleyes:

Got any pics of the house and garage? I know jack about carpentry but I would imagine it would help the other guys.

10. May 30, 2013 at 2:17 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
  11. Sep 2, 2013 at 2:25 AM
    ifavorpinktacos1

ifavorpinktacos1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Temecula, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    97 ext. cab taco. 94 single cab
    hi there little lady. I have been a general contractor in
    socal for over 25 years now and here is my advice.
    1. look into a whole house fan that can be installed in your flat ceiling somewhere like a hallway. With this type of fan you can maximize your air exchange throughout your home while keeping the hot stuffy air out of your attic. It's all about air exchange and with this system all you need is an open screened window or door at each end of the home and you will notice a significant drop iin your temp. inside of your home right away. IIt is very reasonable to install also with a fan unit and installation running no more than say 350.00 to 450.00 complete or less if you choose to install it yourself. Any legit handyman should be able to tackle this fairly easy task in less than three hours for sure. One more thing , screened gable vents are a must to push the hot air out of the attic and they should already be up there but if they aren't get em, and you''ll stay cool for many years to come... cost effectively!
    2. As for the 400 sq ft garage roof, although there are some factors that need attention overall you should be able to get a qualified tradesman or contractor to do your small job for less than 200.00 per square. A square in this instance is the unit price brealdown for roofing and is as follows One "Square" is equall to 100 sqare feet of roof.
    So if you have 400 square feet of roofing, it is considered to be 4 Square in trade terms. If you speak in these terms to your local tradesmaen or contractors they will figure you know something about the trade and will be less likely to pull the wool over your eyes, so to speak. If you have 1x6 spaced sheathing it should probably be sheathed over with some 1/2" osb type of plywood( standard for today's industry) (osb=oriented strand board) and it will add structural integrity to your garage if it is soace sheathed. A great investment for a nominal extra charge. Only if needed.
    Again , for small jobs such as these, look into a local handyman service or finding one through your church or community center. In this economy you are bound to find plenty of qualified pro's who are out of work and will do a great job for you . Good luck and stay cool. bye:cool:

12. Sep 2, 2013 at 2:32 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    dudettes

why the fuck would someone epoxy ceiling anchors for blinds to a stucco ceiling?
    Is this a common thing?

any ideas from my tw contractors?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  13. Sep 2, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Maybe they were worried that screws or toggles would start spiderweb cracks in the stucco

14. Sep 2, 2013 at 9:14 PM
    nettto

nettto Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 2.7l
    Yesterday I discovered I have a bad section of drain pipe under my grandma's house- crawl space with 3.5' x 2.5' access opening. The pipe had been leaking bad for a while- kitchen sink & shower water. The bad section is 6 feet cast iron pipe, T on one end, and a coupling on the other.
    I rented a DriEaz 1200 dehumidifier from homedepot for $29 a day http://www.drieaz.com/_DEC/DEC_Product_Base.aspx?decID=1059

Questions:
    Should I bother looking around for a dehumidifier that I can rent that will be more effective and will fit in the access opening? The one I have does 15 gallons a day

The cast iron pipe is threaded. Should I have it replaced with plastic or cast iron? The house was built in the late 40's and I think the drain pipes are original. I am thinking maybe having more of it replaced than just the bad section. I think its 18 feet to where there's the big fitting that goes out towards the street.
    I'm going to try to get a plumber to look at it tomorrow but want to continue to dry it out until they get here and want to consider my options. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

15. Sep 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM
    XXXX

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    The Architecture Billings Index (ABI) showed more acceleration in the growth of design activity nationally. As a leading economic indicator of construction activity, the ABI reflects the approximate nine- to 12-month lead time between architecture billings and construction spending. The American Institute of Architects (AIA) reported the August ABI score was 53.8, up from a mark of 52.7 in July. This score reflects an increase in demand for design services (any score above 50 indicates an increase in billings). The new projects inquiry index was 63.0, down from the reading of 66.4 the previous month.
    “As business conditions at architecture firms have improved 11 out of the past 12 months, it is fair to say that the design professions are in a recovery mode,” says Dr. Kermit Baker, the AIA’s chief economist. “This upturn signals an impending turnaround in nonresidential construction activity, but a key component to maintaining this momentum is the ability of businesses to obtain financing for real estate projects, and for a resolution to the federal government budget and debt ceiling impasse.”
    The West showed the highest regional average for the month of August at 54.8, followed by the Northeast (54.4),Midwest (52.8) and the South (51.9). Mixed practiced rated as the highest sector at 60.1, followed by commercial /industrial (54.8), multi-family residential (52.1) and institutional (50.8).
    Regional and sector averages are calculated as a three-month average, whereas the index and inquiries are monthly numbers.

16. Nov 29, 2013 at 12:20 PM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    16 Sierra SLT All Terrain
    Readylift, Truxedo, Husky Liners, Carven
    Hello everyone, my name is Nick.

TW: Hi Nick.

Nick: I am a Draftsman in the Modular Home industry. Been here for about 6 months so I'm still a newbie.

17. Nov 29, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    DWreck

DWreck Famous Retrieval Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Plasti-dip paint, TRD S/C, MCM Fab LT kit, bunches of my fab
    I've done a little bit of it all. Carpenter for 7 years, working mostly with retardants. I.e., sound boards, undulations, fire stops etc. But I did attend all classes to obtain journeyman card. Of course I have Famous Fabrication and now I am working for a cell tower company.

18. Nov 29, 2013 at 12:27 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Most of the guys I work with are retardants too

19. Nov 29, 2013 at 12:52 PM
    ryanf

ryanf Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 AC 4X4 6cly/6spd TRD-OR
    Rain Visors,
    Not to Hi Jack thread just a quesion.

Oh I'm Ryan, been doing rentals for years here in NY, GC, and do a lot of everything.

Do you guys use your Tacos for work? I sold mine when i just couldn't load the bed as heavy as i needed, my trailer was 4500/5000 lbs and just proved too much to pulled every day by my taco, had to move up. It was a sad day.

20. Nov 29, 2013 at 1:20 PM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    16 Sierra SLT All Terrain
    Readylift, Truxedo, Husky Liners, Carven
    I use a computer all day but the truck is used for hauling/towing almost every weekend! Agreed though, 5k+ and you're gonna not like towing. At 4k it's noticeable but you push past that and it starts to suck

To Top