1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Centercap Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by OffroadToy, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Sep 2, 2013 at 3:23 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy [OP] old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I'm thinking about trying out this plasti-dip stuff everyone raves about here on the center of my wheel caps. I'd like to remove the Toyota emblem but the tabs securing it are melted on the back. Has anyone figured out a good way of resecuring this thing after removal? I figured to remove it i'd have to grind the melt points off... anyone know of there's a plastic product that can be melted and formed into a specific shape that would adhere to the the ground off tabs?

[​IMG]

2. Sep 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    JB weld

3. Sep 2, 2013 at 5:10 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy [OP] old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    ^ That's a thought. Think it would adhere better to plastic than a traditional two part epoxy?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  4. Sep 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    Yeah, Ive found that JB weld is far superior than epoxy, which may not hold under wet conditions..... JB holds once it's dry...

5. Sep 4, 2013 at 5:19 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    This one came off because one of the plastic lips that hold the wiring was broken. I couldn't get the rest of them off. I tried to do just the emblem and I had too many issues and gave up and just did it this way. I still have to dip the other three.

CenterCapEmblem-Black-Uninstalled_zpsb60_46584ce8c021a2e16ce76963748100e567d50fd7.jpg

6. Sep 4, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    SalmonTaco

SalmonTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Naches
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver TRD Sport
    Brute Force bumpers, TRD FauxLocks, 5100s & 885s, Falken Wildpeaks, SnugTop MVP Shell, Tuffy Bed Box, Console Vault, Fogs anytime, ImMrYo mirror bracket, Wet Okoles, aFe Pro Dry S, PowerStop Z36 pads & drilled/slotted rotors, more shit I can't remember
    I did my trd sport center caps like that. They came off super easy, just had little clips on the backside.

The 1st gen Tundra wheels are different and had some adhesive/melted looking junk holding the Toyota logo on, this ones I used needle nose pliers to scrape off that crap then pushed the emblems off from the back.

7. Nov 14, 2013 at 7:41 PM
    mainewoodsballer

mainewoodsballer YESSAHBUD...heyut

Member:
    First Name:
    Ol' Waltah
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB TRD Sport (Pyrite Mica)
    Check out my Build to See!
    you can also get the FJ centercaps in black. They snap right in and have red TRD logo on them. No probs. with mine yet.

[​IMG]

8. Nov 14, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    RobD

RobD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2013 Spruce Mica Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    I know this thread is a couple months old, but I removed my emblems with a soldering iron. Each emblem has three tabs that insert through holes on the cap, then were melted and "flared". I simply melted the plastic enough to reshape the legs of the emblems so the tips fit back through the holes. I then scuffed and primed each cap with plastic primer, then shot 3 coats of Duplicolor rim paint and 3 coats of clearcoat.

Once the clear dried, I reinserted the emblems (make sure you line the holes up in their original holes, otherwise they won't be centered properly) and melted the tabs back in place. It was almost like welding the plastic.

You can see the finished results here:

001_zpsa3859abe_7de4c2a6aaa10a95e7c428448ed94f8af0fba388.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top