1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lubed Threads Or Dry Threads

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Dragons Taco, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Sep 3, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    There have been a few discussions about Ubolts, engine bolts, lug nuts, propeller (drive) shaft bolts, and always there seems to be two camps on lubed / or dry threads. I was always a dry clean thread guy, maybe a little wd40 if I wasn't dealing with new bolts and couldn't chase the threads. A while back I was watching Power Block and I saw this, which changed my whole view on it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-XXVk_vwKw

Now, either that was a really impressive demo, or it was just a show to sell lube. I'm not sure which. It kinda reminded me of the old demos for all the ultra lube add-ins that were sold about 15 years ago and everyone went crazy over. What do you guys who do this all the time think?

If I'm to believe the video, I should use it every time I do a major bolt. If I can't believe my torque wrench, then what?

2. Sep 3, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Torque wrenches are never 100% accurate. There is MANY variables when it comes to torquing. It's just a guess that makes most bolts similar in tension.

There are different torque specs when it comes to wet vs dry. Wet torque is usually lower hence why when they torqued it, it never reached the proper torque since it is essentially easier, since it is lubed. Wet torque is better IMO.

I'm not sure I believe the video on all things, but nonetheless it was informative.

Products Discussed in

To Top