1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snapped rear leafs on 6" lift, upgrade ideas?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Nutzo333, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Sep 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM
    Nutzo333

Nutzo333 [OP] FreakShow333

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 06 SR5
    6" Fabtech Lift, 315/70 r17 Duratracs, TRD Cold Air Intake MBRP stainless with duel side exit rear exhaust
    Morning,

I have a snapped leaf and well gotta replace it. I have a 6" fabtech DB lift, blocks and a AAL in the back. So far research tells me stay away from OEM springs. BUT sadly with research, also tells me that springs are scarce in Canada, so it looks like I'll be giving up a rib for shipping.

Im just curious as to the best way to go about upgrading my setup. Price is not so relevant so I was thinking new leaf packs, shim to fix that driveshaft vibe, all new hardware, and possibly some new shocks to go along with it all. Figured might as well do it right so I dont have to do it twice.

Any information, tips, suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I do actually use my truck for truck stuff (quite a few pavement pounding lifted trucks in my area) like haul my snowmobile, wood for the winter, all that fun stuff.

Thanks in advance... and if none of what I said makes sense, im rather tired and probably shouldn't be anywhere near a computer lol

2. Sep 5, 2013 at 9:52 PM
    nfs257

nfs257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    She gone
    Contact Alcan they make custom packs.

3. Sep 6, 2013 at 12:16 PM
    Nutzo333

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 06 SR5
    6" Fabtech Lift, 315/70 r17 Duratracs, TRD Cold Air Intake MBRP stainless with duel side exit rear exhaust
    What about the rear shocks tho? Should I bother changing them too seeing how the leafs are going to be new, or should I just leave em in?

4. Sep 6, 2013 at 12:27 PM
    Evenflow

Evenflow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Since you have your axle under your springs already your Fabtech kit already has the proper length shocks so there is no need to replace the shocks too. Your biggest problem is going to be that all lifted springs are custom orders and they are usually a 6 week production time. Try National Spring in El Cajon, CA, great stuff truly hand made for your truck.

5. Sep 6, 2013 at 12:58 PM
    Negative1

Negative1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cory, I'm also in Canada and I ordered a set through Alcan and I've read good things.. The only problem is that they are back logged over a month.. My springs still haven't been built yet and that was 4 weeks ago... So if you're in need of a set asap, alcan is not a good option.

Also shipping to the US border and I will go and pick them up.. Save a ton this way depending on how far you are from the line.

6. Sep 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    You can try Dakar leaf packs or contact Doug he can build you a good leaf pack on a budget

7. Sep 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM
    Nutzo333

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 06 SR5

Not really concerned with the length issue, the issue might be that the shocks seem a bit warn. Figured why have it in the shop twice. Plus they are the low end fabtech shocks. I was debating on some rear resi's... Im a firm believer in over kill. Id rather have it and not need it... then need it and not have it.
    As for the 6 week delay, im getting all my parts ready to be ordered up because I work no where near home. Im gone usually 4 months at a time. SO i keep a head on maintenance and repairs while im out in the oil field, that way I have no downtime with my truck when im home. And if your wondering, no, my truck does not sit and rust out. My sister actually uses it while im gone and looks after it well thankfully lol.

8. Sep 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    Deaver or can you go with all pro leaf pack expo but might have bro lean.

9. Sep 6, 2013 at 1:13 PM
    Nutzo333

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 06 SR5
    Also national spring in El Cajon cali huh? I just might have to ring em up! Thanks!

10. Sep 6, 2013 at 1:14 PM
    Nutzo333

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 06 SR5

LOL thats a +1 for the "bro lean" I had few people at work ask me if i even lifted.... so I just showed em a pic of my Tacoma :p

11. Sep 6, 2013 at 1:24 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    Here is mine with the All pro leaf expo pack but i have heavy ass bumper
    20130714_113349_4fb47296b791577c98502306edf430acf7492069.jpg

12. Sep 6, 2013 at 1:28 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That's not necessarily accurate... He had an OEM leaf pack, an AAL and then a block. If he went with a full leaf pack to get the same lift, the same shocks might not be appropriate or they could end up being severly limiting. Install new leaf packs = flex the truck out without the shocks, take compressed and extended measurements and get the right shocks and bump stops (also make sure your brake lines can handle the articulation with new leafs).

13. Sep 6, 2013 at 1:36 PM
    Nutzo333

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 06 SR5

So.... I will more then likey need a new set of shocks then. Seeing how you are right, OEM leaf, AAL, and a block. My truck is actually imported from the states too. Im perfectly ok with the new shocks, also thanks for the heads up with the brake lines. Just a matter of who to go with for shocks, which i knoe is an argument in and of itself heh

14. Sep 6, 2013 at 1:38 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    New shocks would be a good idea if you want to get the most out of your new leaf pack. Otherwise, you could end up topping out the old shocks and risk breaking them. Also, your bump stops will likely need to be extended so you hit the bump stops before you bottom out the shocks.

15. Sep 6, 2013 at 2:18 PM
    Nutzo333

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 06 SR5
    Recently having a look around, I dont see much for 6" lifted trucks. :( most likely though, im blind and not looking in the right are.

16. Sep 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Sorry using my phone and it doesn't like the quote reply function :/ my bad - yes very valid point about the increased travel / flex from a new leaf pack. If it was a budget issue you could get away with it in regard to static length and daily road driving. Definately do not overlook the need for longer brake lines, the PC and FT kits do not give you longer brake lines they just relocate the OE bracket to max out the OE lines. I recently ordered my second set of 5" lifted springs ( deavers broke ) they are all one off's and everyone was 6 weeks out. National came very highly recommended and they are local for me. They even took a rear axle weight via a truck scale and a ton of measurements and actually listened to how I drive my truck vs insisting I have my springs made to perform the best for 1% of my driving. It is important to ask where the steel your spring maker uses comes from if the answer is not US there is a good chance you will have issues...even some of the " best" spring brands use Indo or Mexi steel which has tin cans and random road kill mixed in as filler :) OE springs = Mexico = garbage ...can't wait to see the responses to that factoid :)

17. Sep 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM
    Nutzo333

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 06 SR5
    Yeah i completely agree. When i use to work for a tow company, we noticed that with the custom leaf packs. Was alllll about where the steel came from lol. We always needed custom leafs because it was our secret motto to overload the one ton wreckers heh. But what im looking for now Is shocks. I will most likely be calling up National for my leafs but now I am on the hunt for a great shock to go with the leaf. Budget, not so much an issue. No mortgage and no wife lmao. I place quality way a head of time as well. I make chainmaille items in my free time. Sometimes commissioned for stuff. Builds your patience quick. Also you pay for the labor cause material is dirt cheap!

But yeah... Shocks to match the awesome future new leafs lol

18. Sep 6, 2013 at 3:09 PM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    All the shock manufacturers have application guides on line so once you get gbe aprings on squash them and droop them then just compare your measurements to the stats on the app guide. Don't try to guess or use someone elses measurements unless the spring shop jas the data for you from another custom order that is identical. You can also call Fox or King and request custom valving for your ride preferences. All the wait time in this custom stuff is really annoying :) i want my new toys today !

Products Discussed in

To Top