1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wiring LED lightbar to high beams

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by chipnoreo, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Aug 16, 2013 at 5:46 PM
    JWaldz

JWaldz It puts the Joe Dirt in the hole

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    It works!! However there is a glitch... No light comes on to verify it's toggled and the headlights come on even if the actual dial on the column lever is switched to off.

2. Aug 16, 2013 at 6:18 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Well that's not good. Damn, your 4Runner is a PITA to wire :laugh:

Back to the drawing board, let me think about that one for a minute...

So if you switch it one way, the LED bar comes on, do the headlights come on in this position?

The other position, they LED bar comes on with the high beams but if you put the switch in this position, the headlights stay on regardless of the truck's switch position?

3. Aug 16, 2013 at 6:47 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    wiringdiagramforlseriesmu6_52ec2bab1c76060a04fb17751ef4e335f1afcc49.jpg
    I found this online for negatively switched vehicles. I'm still looking for more info on them.

4. Aug 16, 2013 at 6:55 PM
    davidjmay

davidjmay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Pioneer HU & door speakers, Alpine type R, Kicker dx1000.1, OME 883 lift, Wheelers 2" AAL, custom mesh grille, smoked LED taillights, LED light bar, Raptor exhaust dumped before axle, custom fabbed roll bar/light bar mount
    Am I the only one this doesn't make sense to? No offense at all to the OP. I'm just trying to figure out why you would want to wire it like this...
    Seems redundant to have to hit a SWITCH
    in order for your hi beam SWITCH to turn it on... why not just have an on/off switch for it and only have to hit one switch? :notsure:

5. Aug 16, 2013 at 6:57 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Yep, you're the only one this doesn't make sense to. You can leave the switch on, and the light bar comes on when you cycle the high beams on and cuts off when you cycle them off. OR, because technically the LED bar isn't street legal, if you turn the switch off, your high beams cycle by themselves normally, OEM function.

6. Aug 17, 2013 at 6:22 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Bump, what happens with your lights with the switches are in each position?

7. Aug 17, 2013 at 10:56 PM
    davidjmay

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Pioneer HU & door speakers, Alpine type R, Kicker dx1000.1, OME 883 lift, Wheelers 2" AAL, custom mesh grille, smoked LED taillights, LED light bar, Raptor exhaust dumped before axle, custom fabbed roll bar/light bar mount
    Kind of makes sense if you use the LED bar enough. Regarding street legality, do they need to be covered or anything on the street?

8. Aug 18, 2013 at 12:41 AM
    chipnoreo

chipnoreo [OP] Ready for snow!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anna
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Ram Eco Diesel
    Getting 30 mpg on the highway
    Depends on local laws.

I want to do this because i want to be able to use the light bar with my high beams while driving. Its legal here. Well maybe not technically but they don't ticket people for lighting here. However, i want to be able to have it not come on if i am in an area where its not legal.

I also want to be able to use the light as a spot light independant of the headlights. Since the led has such a low draw, i will probably, at times, use it with the truck off and want to be able to turn it on independant of whatever else i have on or off.

9. Aug 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM
    JWaldz

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    If I'm using my high beams then obviously it's because there is no traffic. More light is better right? Why have to turn my high beams off and light bar off separately when I can just wire them to my high beams and have them come on with them. People having been doing this for years. The only difference is I'm wanting the option to have one switch do dual functions. So not only can it work with my high beams but I can also use the led light bar independently when I'm not necessarily using my headlights. I can leave the led bar on for a long amount of time with the truck off and it especially wont drain my battery as much as if I had to have my headlights on.

I figured LED light bar's on the street are illegal. These things blind traffic. I do however have a pair of square 3" x 3" 4 led pods with yellow tint over the lens and I use them on the road in traffic often. I've never been bright lighted for them nor have I been pulled over for them. The light output isn't crazy. I think they're around 1300 lumens a piece. With the vinyl tint on them they're probably dumbed down to around 900 lumens.

Sorry, I've been pretty busy this weekend. Ended up going to the offroad park and watching some ultra 4 racing yesyterday. The switch operates properly, the only thing that is weird is that it controls the headlights when toggling it for the high beam function. It doesn't turn on the brights like before, just turns the headlights on. I have to be careful not to accidentally bump it because the light on the switch doesn't come on when toggled up right away, not unless the high beams are toggled. So, when the high beams are toggled the light on the switch comes on. The independent function of the switch works and lights up when toggled.

I don't drive around much at night but when I do I use the light bar whenever I have the possibility to use my brights. So it made sense for me to eliminate having to toggle both on and off separately. I don't have to have it covered, I just don't use it in traffic. 30" is way to bright to use in oncoming traffic. It puts out around 7500 lumens. Like I said, I use my led pods with yellow vinyl tint on the lens as fog lights. They seem to work well in inclement weather and not bother other drivers.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  10. Aug 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM
    davidjmay

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Right on. I guess it depends what you need the LEDs for. I just don't want to get pulled over for something stupid like having the LED bar though, even if it's not on in traffic

11. Aug 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Hook the low current side of your light bar relay to be energized when your high beams are on. Very very simple and easy.

12. Aug 18, 2013 at 1:23 PM
    JWaldz

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    I was given a suggestion to move the jumper that's currently on 5 to 2 to be put on 4 to 2.

13. Aug 27, 2013 at 2:02 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Sorry man, you get this figured out? I've been away dealing with medical stuff for a while.

14. Aug 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM
    JWaldz

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    lol, no.. I need to go buy some female spade connectors. I've just been putting it off cus it works how I want it aside from the minor glitch. Just have to be mindful about the switch being off before I get out the truck. In case I may have bumped it or something.

15. Sep 9, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    chipnoreo

chipnoreo [OP] Ready for snow!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anna
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Ram Eco Diesel
    Getting 30 mpg on the highway
    Finally actually wired my light bar up this weekend.

Followed the wiring on here more or less.

Drew up the schematic i actually used with another member on here
    [​IMG]

Was able to just use a fuse splitter to tap in to one of the high beam fuses and not have to splice to the high beam wire.

I ended up using prongs 4, 5, 6, because the switch remained illuminated at all times when using 1, 2, 3. If I did it again I would probably go with the SPDT switch now that I have actually done the wiring and understand where the current is flowing better.

so now I have a light bar that is on anytime/off/on with highbeams :D

relay/ground (used the neg ground for the battery)
    [​IMG]

high beam tap (with my fog light on anytime mod)
    [​IMG]

thanks for all the input guys!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  16. Jan 8, 2014 at 10:20 PM
    TOY1188

TOY1188 Thinking of the next adventure

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma D/C TRD
    Elite Off-Road Front Bumper KC 8" HID lights 3" Old Man emu lift up front, 2" add a leaf rear, 285/75R16 Cooper ST MAXX, Gear offset wheels, Truxedo lo pro QT, Added front bed D-rings, Flow master dual exhaust w/stage 50 muffler, aFe Pro-Dry S Air Filter, Wet Oakley seat covers, WeatherTech floor liners, Firestone rite-ride airbags w/ Daystar air bag cradle, 30% 3m front window tint
    OK so I'm no wiring genius so after i talked to the guys at OTRATTW they said that this switch will be the one that i should use VJD2UHTB DPDT on/off/on 10 point switch with my application so if anyone could help me out that would be great im going to be putting both my fog lights and off road lights on the same switch when in the down position the fog lights will be on but in the up position im going to have both the fog and off road lights turn on does anyone have or could help with the wiring diagram, it would be most helpful the diagram that OTRATTW is not very clear on what wires would go where and what ones would i connect together to get it to work the way i want it to other then powering the led lights. also this switch will be replacing the push fog light switch for lack of space with all other factory switches taking up all other slots

Attached Files:

• UHT.pdf
      File size:
      289 KB
      Views:
  17. May 30, 2014 at 8:59 PM
    Tacoma Off Course

Tacoma Off Course Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Houston, KS
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCSB Prerunner SR5
    Stuff
  18. Jun 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    VAYoder4167

VAYoder4167 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 04 toyota tacoma sr-5
    Magnaflow dual catback exhaust, 5100 bilsteins all around with 1" body lift and stock coils, 33" BF Goodrich sitting on a set of 15" Alloy Ion wheels
    Quick question for you geniuses of the LED lights Ive got a 30" dual row bar I just installed and I've got it rigged as of now and I want to run it so that I can turn it on whenever I want but I don't really want to tie it into the high beams. Need some help on where to get the switch for it and what kind of relay I'm going to need. I'm kinda new to this mess so don't kill me.

19. Dec 18, 2014 at 2:01 AM
    JustAddMud

JustAddMud Professional Grease Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Summerville SC
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 TRD OR
    Yes
    Ok thread revival time. I'm looking to do something similar with my light bar and D2s on the same(one) switch. I do not want to run a hot wire from the battery through the firewall to a switch, something about that thought doesn't sit well with me.

Background:
    I've done the fog anytime no splice mod and I have a second pair of D2s I want to come on with my 20" bar. As in anytime on/off/on with high beams. Currently the D2s are on a 15 amp fuse and the light bar is also on a separate 15 amp fuse with Rigid's supplied wiring harnesses. I analyzed both Puggas and Chipnoreos solution and I'd like to propose a different perspective on this matter.

Proposed solution:
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: 30A fuses and 30A Relays are overkill for this circuit, 20A @ 20 Gauge wire will be sufficient.

I used 3 relays in this method however I would prefer to use only two (one if possible). The top relay controls the always on part of my problem and the bottom two relays control the on with high beams checking. The lower left relay checks switch position for my rocker switch while the lower right relay checks my high beams. Once both are true, it completes the circuit. I based my hastily drawn diagram off of the SPDT switch from OTRATTW party number listed. My solution puts only two wires through my firewall carrying minimal voltage to two relays. All other hot wires in the engine compartment. Does anybody have any suggestions or tips? Thanks

I'm going to go back to the drawing board to see if I can't get away with using a SPDT relay to reduce my relay count by one, however I'm not sure if there is such a relay for automotive purposes.

-J

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  20. Dec 18, 2014 at 5:00 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Mud, you severely over complicated the wiring for what you're trying to accomplish. One DPDT switch and one relay is all you need. You will need to run a wire from the battery through the firewall to the switch though, or else find switched power inside the cab. If the wire is fused in the engine bay, there is no issue with running the wire through the fire wall. That diagram you have there is going to be a nightmare, especially if anything goes wrong. You have a lot of unnecessary wires and hardware to troubleshoot. Keep it simple.

Products Discussed in

To Top