1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Goodyear Wrangler Radial Tires cheap for a reason?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by geodude, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Sep 10, 2013 at 6:58 PM
    geodude

geodude [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Every retailer from Amazon to Walmart seems to be selling these Goodyear Wrangler Radial Tires for $80 or less.

I was about to spring for some Firestone Destination A/T tires, but at this price I'm more inclined to sacrifice some off-road ability and go with the Goodyears.

They look to be a quality All Season, if not a low range All Terrain tire. Has anyone tried these out or heard anything firsthand?

Here's a link http://www.amazon.com/Goodyear-Wran...?ie=UTF8&qid=1378863481&sr=8-1&keywords=tires

2. Sep 10, 2013 at 7:21 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    I had them on my 90 Runner. They're pretty mediocre. With these you definitely get what you paid for but if you don't do a lot of off roading then you should be okay

3. Sep 10, 2013 at 7:22 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    No firsthand experience, but I've seen these a lot on Jeeps. They are an old design and a cheap tire. I wouldn't expect too much performance or mileage out of them.

4. Sep 10, 2013 at 7:32 PM
    geodude

geodude [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So it seems to be another case of you get what you pay for. Looks like I'll stick with the Firestones. Tires are something I don't mind spending a little extra on for quality sake.

Thank you for the responses

5. Sep 10, 2013 at 7:40 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    Hankook Dyna Pro AT/m ftw for cost effective all terrain

6. Sep 11, 2013 at 9:55 PM
    TXCotton

TXCotton '13 Nautical Blue TRD Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Cotton
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    '13 Nautical Blue TRD Off Road
    My 2008 Jeep Wrangler came with these stock and they were awful. Wandered on the road at highway speeds and were nearly worn down after 10K miles. I had them rebalanced multiple times from a shop I've used for over a decade.

I finally replaced them with Firestone Destination M/Ts and it was night and day different, even considering I went to a mud terrain tire. The Jeep was instantly drivable above 65mph again, didn't wander, was quieter, and didn't skip around in the rain like it did with the Goodyears! I'd say do what your wallet requires, but my experience was that they didn't last long and had terrible handling.

7. Sep 12, 2013 at 8:52 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    They're a decent cheap tire.
    Goodyear's been making them forever, so the molds are paid for. They sell a squillion of them, so they can sell them for cheap (kind of like McD's hamburgers) and still turn a profit on them.
    Don't expect them to be great at anything, but they're not a bad little tire for the money. I had them on a '96 Danger Ranger (4.0L ext cab 4x4) and got about 30K commuter miles out of them. But, if it snowed at all, I needed 4x4 to get up my hill.

8. Jan 16, 2018 at 2:07 PM
    running.overland

running.overland New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 2.7L
    Offroad Bumpers & Sliders. PIAA Lighting. Stock Height.
    Let's go for a 5 year resurrection.

I've run these Wrangler Radials on a 98 XJ for 40,000 miles, admittedly without rotating :crazy:, for long highway trips and plenty of off road adventures (Silverton/Ouray Trail in Colorado, Moab, and the easier routes of the Rubicon, to name a few) - they have worn extremely well and their control in the snow is perfectly capable while in 4x4 but spin with just the rear wheel drive.. I recently replaced them with the same, because the tread had simply worn down. No cracking or anything of mention or be afraid of, just not enough left for another winter.
    Their highway noise is more than a street tire, less than mud terrains - like a typical A/T. Gas mileage wasn't affected compared to some low price Cooper street tire that were on the Jeep before them, but an XJ doesn't get great mpg no matter what tire is on there.
    Some things to keep in mind: I never aired down because the side wall just doesn't strike me with any feelings of confidence and I pretty much always take easy routes while 'crawling' with buddies who tend to break stuff. Fire-roads and forest service access trails are a breeze.

That said, my 04 Taco is a different size/weight and I've been hesitant to run these tires on it.
    I think on a smaller Taco, or even older 4Runner, these tires would do just fine - if you keep them aired up and don't go rock crawling. Around town or just for bouts on the highway, I think they'd be just fine - and they're cheap/widely available (considering) to replace. ... But better tires will typically not need replacing so why not just pay more once, instead of paying a little less twice.

9. Jan 31, 2018 at 7:23 AM
    Troyken

Troyken Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB v6 off road 4x4 6 spd. MT
    Goodyear Wrangler Radials in action in the Dominican Republic last week. Pictured is a Hilux work truck used for mason work in rural farm country near Puerto Plata.
    No paved roads at all and hurricane damage everywhere. IMG_0204.jpg
    I has these on a 1978 Jeep CJ7 in the eighties. I got well over 40 thousand miles from them on the Jeep and plowed plenty of snow with them, good tires ,quiet and good in all weather. Rock climbing....not so sure.

10. Feb 1, 2018 at 2:28 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    Don't stare at the sidewall or tread patch too long or they might puncture. I ran one set on a fleet patrol truck due to budget constraints and instantly regretted it. Mediocre traction, tons of sidewall flex when cornering, and I feel I was getting them repaired or replaced under warranty every month.

Products Discussed in

To Top