1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stolen Credit Card Key

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ucancallmekp, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Sep 18, 2013 at 7:53 AM
    ucancallmekp

ucancallmekp [OP] New Member

Member:
    Long story short, I made two huge and smh type mistakes. I forgot to lock my truck last night #1, and #2 I left my spare "credit card" type spare keys in my truck manual booklet in my glove box. I was robbed last night and amongst other things they took my toyota manual which had those plastic keys that can unlock but not start the truck.

After talking it over with the cop, he said he wouldn't be too worried considering he had already reported to 9 different break ins by 8:00 am in that area from the night before. He said that the robbers probably wouldn't be back, nor did they probably know what that credit card key was for, nor would they even know which vehicle they took it out of.

I called toyota place in my home town and he told me my options were to remove the locking rods on my door until I felt like it was safe again to hook them back up, thus allowing me to only use my keyless entry to get it unlocked. But then the local marshall place said that wouldn't work considering the locking rods are used by the motor to lock and unlock the car?

Or I could call a locksmith and get them to rekey it.

Or I could get them to replace the lock cylinder on my door so that I would have one key to unlock it and another to start the vehicle.

or I could completely redo all the keys/locks so that everything was the same but a new key.

Any suggestions or advice? :mad:

2. Sep 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Sounds like you have some pretty good options there.

Personally, I would have the entire vehicle rekeyed. But that's just me. Having a seperate key to unlock and another to start the engine would make my OCD go a bit crazy.

3. Sep 18, 2013 at 7:58 AM
    ZebraTaco

ZebraTaco Active Member

Member:
    First of all, I'm really sorry to hear that you were victimized by cowards, I've had that happen it feels so horrible.

I would replace the door locks at least, and without knowing the year/options, it's hard to say about the keyless entry (reset it if you have one)

The door locks are about $50 a piece, here's the link to a 2011 (again, without knowing it's hard to say for sure, but that site has every year)

https://parts.olathetoyota.com/2011toyotatacomaparts.html

And here's how to replace them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m--q4tu2zq4

That should save you some money as opposed to calling a locksmith.

4. Sep 18, 2013 at 8:00 AM
    neoflex

neoflex Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would wait it out but in the meantime don't keep anything of value in the vehicle. If they want to take the whole truck chances are they will get it either way. If they were stealing manuals and other petty BS I would say it was a bunch of meth heads on the loose and chances are they won't have any clue where that card came from or what to do with it. Professionals aren't going to waste their time with petty crap. Being so many cars were hit and the fact that they wasted their time stealing your manual I would venture to say it was the latter and if they hit 9 in one night they probably have hit more recently and likely have a pile of useless sh*t that they have no clue were they took from where. I would save the cash unless proven otherwise in the next few weeks.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  5. Sep 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM
    bshack

bshack Active Member

Member:
    Olathe, KS
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5
    Where are you at in Olathe?

Products Discussed in

To Top