1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What did you think the Toyota logo was?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by horwitzs, Jun 4, 2011.

?

What did you think the Toyota logo was?

1. The letter 'T'

63.3%
  2. A bull

9.4%
  3. A cowboy

2.3%
  4. Two hearts

1.8%
  5. Some random ovals

16.6%
  6. Other?

6.7%
  1. Jan 14, 2013 at 9:53 PM
    Danelson

Danelson Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    IDAHO
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5
    I got to talking with a buddy about a year ago and researched the same thing me and my buddy both lost the bet. i said it was a bull he thought it was a couple ovals.

2. Jan 15, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Bullcrap (sorry, it just fits). That's Toyota's explination of the logo today. Nothing was said about that when it was introduced years ago. And indeed, if the goal was portray the Toyota name, simplier designs would accomplish that without twisting the block letters into odd ovals.

Going back to what I said earlier, the logo was first introduced solely in the North American marketplace. At the time, Japan was obsessed with Texas, cowboys, and pickups (may also explain why Toyota located it's factory in Texas). Cowboy movies (John Wayne, etc) were extremely popular and the television series Dallas was the number one show on Japanese television (and here as well). And cowboys were commonly portrayed as driving pickup trucks with cow horns on the hood (one of the main characters in the television series Dallas did so).

Based on that, I firmly believe the logo was originally intended to represent the HEAD OF A BULL with an oval around it (the oval consistent with other Japanese vehicle logos - and with brands used on cows). Now that Toyota has adopted the logo worldwide, they're distancing themselves from the American cowboy connotation. However, that doesn't change the design's original intent.

3. Jan 15, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Toyota's San Antonio plant was long after the introduction of the oval badge.
    It started up in 2003... even giving a couple of years for planning and construction, the new logo appeared 14 years earlier in 1989 on non-US luxury models. The Lexus (as well as Nissan's Infinity) badge was a North American exclusive.
    It didn't appear on the N50 pickup until '93.

Toyota's official line does not explain it as a melding of the 6 letters, the meaning is much deeper :rolleyes:
    http://www.toyota-global.com/showroom/emblem/passion/

4. Jan 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Of course, I never said the plant's location was in any way related to the oval badge. Instead, I suggested both were likely related to the Japanese obsession with Texas, cowboys, and pickups.

5. Jan 16, 2013 at 2:19 AM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    Yeah... I thought it was a bull. Actually when I was really young, like 8, it made sense to me that Toyota's bull logo looked a lot cheaper than Lamborghini's Bull logo lol.

Took me a good 5 years to realize the Yamaha logo was 3 tuning forks and not just a snow flake.

6. Jan 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    True true... and in fairness, "Dallas" ran until 1991, 2 years after the new logo appeared.

7. Sep 19, 2013 at 5:51 AM
    atebit

atebit What's all this, then?

Member:
    The basement of the Alamo
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR 4x4 AC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top