1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Richloam WMA Info & Meet Thread

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Taco No Baka, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Sep 20, 2013 at 10:19 AM
    Taco No Baka

Taco No Baka [OP] Interco Tire Snob

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5 Xtra Cab 4WD V6 Spartan Package
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    Richloam Info:

Richloam WMA is located off of State Road 471 just south of State Road 50 (28 28'52.52"N, 82 3'16.64"W). It sits about halfway between Tampa, Orlando, and Ocala.

http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures/ne/richloam/

This area is open to public recreation access year around with miles of trails to ride on both sides of SR471--although mid-October to early January is hunting season and is apt to get a bit crowded with dog hunters racing around the trails chasing their dogs. Access is free and dogs are allowed as long as they are on a leash.

The terrain is mostly planted pine forest and swamp, and the trails are anything from mild to wild--tight two-trackers through the woods to submerged trails you can't see the other end of, to mud holes that would swallow a monster truck. The challenges are mostly mud and water crossings, with some trails submerged for long distances, but no real technical wheeling to speak of.

Here's a vid of what to expect, though keep in mind it's a highlight reel so not everything out there is quite so interesting--although some of it can be quite a bit more interesting as well. (Sorry about the Heeps, but when we get a good vid of a TW meet, I'll replace this one with it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwHcHxC88jc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AweXB5trlFo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fQJ4_dg0JI

If you're interested in setting up a meet at Richloam, please announce it here. :cool:

Suggested meeting/gathering point:

Richloam Meeting Spot.jpg
    Richloam Meeting Spot2.jpg

Meets in the books:

10/06/2013

6/20/2015
    6-16-2018

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Jonpauldv likes this.
  2. Sep 20, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    If anyone is interested in meeting here on a Sunday 10/6/13, I'm planning a trip out there to shake down my truck in preparation for the Citrus meets in Nov and Jan. I'd like to have at least on other 4WD along to rescue me if I get crazy and push the envelope a bit too far.

Meeting time: 9 AM
    Place: North Grade entrance & SR 471 (as pictured in the OP)

List:
    1. Taco no Baka (1st Gen 4WD)
    2. Goomba (1st Gen 4WD) (If his truck is fixed?)
    3. Michaelrussell (B2 4WD)
    4. Blackhorse (1st Gen 2WD)
    5. 2010TRD (2nd Gen 4WD)
    6. Nd4Spd86(2nd Gen 4WD)
    7. K9cop (2nd Gen 2WD) (tentative)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  3. Sep 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Hogwarts
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    Shoot bro gotta work. That vid does not look 2wd friendly et all..

4. Sep 20, 2013 at 11:12 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Some of it isn't. Heck, some of it isn't 4WD friendly, lol. But you'd be surprised at how much of it you could go through with a 2WD. Most of the water crossings on the trails are hard sandy bottoms. As long as you keep your breather above the water and have a halfway decent set of tires you could walk right through most of it, especially if you got a locker. Not saying it wouldn't be a challenge, but if it wasn't, what would be the point?

The nasty looking mud hole they were playing in was just that, a mud hole. Not part of the trails that a 2WD would have to negotiate.

5. Sep 20, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    goomba

goomba It is a Fluid Situation

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    San Antonio Fl
    Vehicle:
    96 White Ex. Cab Tacoma TRD 4X4
    3" lift Up front(Donahoe Racing ext. travel coil overs, Camburg UCA's), 1.5-2" lift in the back(aal and some billy 10" stroke short bodies), Bushwhacker Cut-Out fender flairs, 16"x10" Procomp Street locks, and 305/70 Procomp X-Terrains.
    Most of the puddles out there have hard pack sand under the mud. If it is a sunday i might beable to make it

6. Sep 20, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Outstanding! Sunday it is, but which one is better for you? the 29th or the 6th?

7. Sep 20, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    goomba

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    San Antonio Fl
    Vehicle:
    3" lift Up front(Donahoe Racing ext. travel coil overs, Camburg UCA's), 1.5-2" lift in the back(aal and some billy 10" stroke short bodies), Bushwhacker Cut-Out fender flairs, 16"x10" Procomp Street locks, and 305/70 Procomp X-Terrains.
    I will have to see. but it would nice to get back out there

8. Sep 20, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    It's been at least 10 years for me since I've been out there. I've always had a bit of a love/hate relationship with Richloam. As long as I had another vehicle for back-up, I never had any problems, but if I was the only vehicle, we always ended up hiking out for help, lol. That old guy with the blue chevy at the fish hatchery save my bacon a couple of times. Wonder if he's still around?

I enjoyed Hardrock and the pits. It was pretty exciting. Richloam, on the other hand, is more relaxing for me, but still challenging and fun.

9. Sep 20, 2013 at 1:14 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    pretty much in for the 29th

also if only 4wd trucks are goin, maybe i'll ride with one of u guys to save us the hassle of me repeatedly getting stuck

10. Sep 20, 2013 at 1:18 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    This works too. :D

11. Sep 20, 2013 at 1:28 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    You can be the official trip photographer/camera man, so bring your video/camera equipment and I'll bring my ancient lap top so I can get a copy of the raw footage. :D

12. Sep 20, 2013 at 2:50 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    This is the route I mapped out, looking for the good spots on Google Earth. This is right at about 50 miles of trails.

Richloam.jpg

13. Sep 20, 2013 at 3:30 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    no prob, canon point in shoot gonna be ready to go!

14. Sep 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    As long as it's newer than my 12 y/o Powershot A20, yer good. :D

15. Sep 20, 2013 at 4:48 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    lol, def newer than A series, but not too much newer, it's one of those sd elfs

16. Sep 20, 2013 at 6:20 PM
    goomba

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    San Antonio Fl
    Vehicle:
    the guy with the blue chevy is still around lol Always cruising

17. Sep 20, 2013 at 6:40 PM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Where is this on the big map .Ive been north and south of 50 in Sumter Co. bird hunting..[​IMG]

18. Sep 20, 2013 at 7:13 PM
    michaelrussell

michaelrussell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    belleview,FL
    Vehicle:
    09 prerunner sr5 2.7 / 5 speed
    lots of stuff done more to do
    I could probably do the 6th I'm taking the bronco out the 28th/29th for a camping / wheeling test trip close to home before going that far I used to go out to richloam every weekend with my uncle when I was kid if I don't make it out keep your eyes out if you go through gator hole it has that name for a reason

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  19. Sep 21, 2013 at 12:10 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    It's on the north most center of this map. See where the Little Withlacoochee River is near the top? It's on the other map too. Richloam is on the Green Swamp's northern border, but it also goes across SR471 with several trails on that side as well. In fact, the map I put up is essentially the box Sumter Co. makes with 471, Lake Co. and the green line of the Green Swamp's northern border.

20. Sep 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Good luck on your test trip! :D

We'll have to see what date Josh commits to and go from there.

Products Discussed in

To Top