1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tips on body lifts recommendations

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Kory450, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Sep 15, 2013 at 12:30 PM
    Kory450

Kory450 [OP] Kory450

Member:
    First Name:
    Kory
    Banning CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma double cab 4x4 v6
    Icon extended travel shocks in front end with icon Uniball A-arms
    I am totally against body lifts I meant to put leveling kit but I'm sorry about the link I'm totally new to this

2. Sep 15, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    Colt562

Colt562 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport 4x4
    Icon Stage 3 Lift Kit...Dakars
    You said you got it for your birthday. How are we supposed to know different? I think you owe someone a apology.

3. Sep 15, 2013 at 2:32 PM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Nah its fine, I want to know how he has $22,000 at the age of 15 without parental help though. Need to know what I'm doing wrong lol

4. Sep 16, 2013 at 6:08 PM
    Kory450

Kory450 [OP] Kory450

Member:
    First Name:
    Kory
    Banning CA
    Vehicle:
    I understand and I'm sorry it just drives me crazy because every one thinks a brand new truck was handed to me at school and publicly when I worked my butt off. But I do apologize for being rude

5. Sep 16, 2013 at 6:10 PM
    CelsisTaco

CelsisTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Des Monies, IA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    2 inch lift. LED fog lights (Cali fab) Alpine head unit. Kicker door speakers. Skar subwoofer.
    Wanted the same thing, found that body lifts suck.. i wouldn't go that route

6. Sep 16, 2013 at 6:10 PM
    Kory450

Kory450 [OP] Kory450

Member:
    First Name:
    Kory
    Banning CA
    Vehicle:
    Ok thanks a bunch! And sorry if I came off as an ass but I have been workin my butt off my whole life for this truck and I just don't like it when people think my parents just gave me a 30k 2013 truck... But I'm sorry you had no clue so the 5100s will just bolt right on?? Now mechanic needed?

7. Sep 16, 2013 at 8:20 PM
    IronCladTRD

IronCladTRD Consistently Irregular

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin
    Hotel California
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 Manual V6 3.4L
    5100s/Eibach 3" lift, All-Pro Expo rear leafs, Elite front bumper & sliders, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, 33x10.5r15 BFG All terrains, Ultra Rogue 15x8 rims, homemade bed rack, Midland 1001z CB radio Deckplate mod, Century shell, train horn, debadged
    You're gonna need a spring compressor if you do it without a mechanic. For a person who's never really worked much on cars, I wouldn't recommend trying to DIY it. Get a mechanic, using a spring compressor wrong could leave you in multiple pieces if you're not experienced.

8. Sep 16, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    Colt562

Colt562 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport 4x4
    Icon Stage 3 Lift Kit...Dakars
    this is what Im doing, I would rather have a mechanic install it and me watch and maybe help then me do it myself and be super frustrated in the end.

IMO its worth the 350 bucks Ill spend.

9. Sep 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM
    tacojack

tacojack Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    new york
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 indigo ink
    Bilstein 5100 front set at 2 1/2" , 1" blocks in rear with Firestone air bags
    Get bilstein 5100 all around and 2" block kit for the rear and your good to roll on 32x10.5x 17". That's all you need unless you want bigger tires.

10. Sep 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM
    brettb

brettb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma
    Tips for a body lift? Don't get one.

11. Sep 20, 2013 at 5:44 PM
    tacojack

tacojack Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    new york
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 indigo ink
    What he said!

12. Sep 21, 2013 at 1:24 AM
    Man Overboard

Man Overboard Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 Prerunner
    Why?

13. Sep 21, 2013 at 7:53 AM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    Have you not read the previous posts? They're a pain to install having to extend everything that comes into the cab from underneath, they are dangerous in an accident and have the ability to fly right off the frame (with you inside), they are prone to breaking under stress, and they just look bad. That being said they don't "improve" anything per say, just allow clearance of larger tires. Suspension lifts like new coilovers can improve ride and dampening ability as well as lift. You can tell a body lift from a mile away. you can see right through their truck.

14. Sep 23, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    sirhk100

sirhk100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OH THE HUMANITY!!!! A BODY LIFT!!!

DSCI0902_3ca2356e118df05c3c7784660d6caf782f0e48fd.jpg

Sorry but the anti body lift thing always makes me laugh. How many of you got in wrecks and had your cabs fly off the frame rail cause of your body lift? How many of you had your body lifts punch thru the floor? Not your friends cousins uncle and that one picture online that everyone has seen yet nobody knows the back story of... I'm talking you?

Just curious... Cause if I had a nice new expensive ride, I'd be doing a body lift WAY before I did a fabtech, rancho, pro comp type lift!!! 100% hands down without a doubt I'd do a body lift over one of those! Now a bolt in coilover or spacer... ehhh, I'd probably lean that way over a body lift but no way in hell would I put a drop bracket kit on a truck before a body lift. If you really really really think the guys at rancho, fabtech or those types are remotely engineering their suspension lifts to the extent OE does, you're high. A body lift keeps all that nice extensively engineered working suspension and leaves it alone. Now the spacer lifts, ehhh, I won't say those are trash but I certainly wouldn't be bragging about my awesome coil spacer lift either. A bolt in coilover is simply valved more agressive, isn't messing with the suspension system either, it's just valved most specific to what you're wanting to do rather then mom going to church, all you're doing is enhancing the suspension tuning to more of what you want out of it and the little bit of lift is just pushing the limits of what the suspension was designed to do, it's not changing a whole lot.

My point of view comes from a resume that includes R&D titles at many of the main stream drop bracket suspension companies and probably the #1 body lift company in the nation. I'm out of that industry altogether now so I've got no problem letting you know my opinion as it can't come back to bite me anymore. LOL

That truck pictured above... 3" body lift, you can see the core support puck just to the right of the skid plate. Along with that 3" body lift I'm pulling 17" of travel up front and 24" in the rear... But OMG!!! There's a body lift on it!!!!!! We're all gonna die!!!!

BTW, the body lift company I used to work for, NEVER ONCE got feed back of a cab separating from a frame!!! They've been in existance for A LONG time and trust me, if it had happened there'd be a lawsuit. On the other hand, I personally went and inspected quite a few trucks that had been in wrecks with our body lifts and we were named in the lawsuit along with every other product or person to have touched the truck. I never ever once saw a failed body lift, that includes head ons!!! I would view the truck, point out what products were ours to the law teams/officials and then we'd be dismissed from the lawsuit cause it would be obvious that our product did not fail during the wreck and wasn't the cause the accident/injury.

So go on with your body lifts suck rants but if you really think a fabtech type lift on your nice expensive new truck is a better choice... You're high!!! LOL If you knew what straight edge and plumb bob type engineering went into those you'd be pissed you threw away your factory suspension.

15. Sep 24, 2013 at 6:57 AM
    tacojack

tacojack Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    new york
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 indigo ink
    Well there you have it. All your suspension questions answered by a guy who has the resume to prove us all wrong. Man i can't believe I fucked up my suspension on my truck. Especially the saggy, soft rear leaf springs that come with all Toyota trucks.
    Not for nothing sirhk but you sure do like to pat yourself on the back about your extensive back round in truck suspension. So which body lift company did you work for? And why don't you work for them anymore? (Maybe they got tired of hearing about how great you are).......fuck outta here with that !!!!!!
    We are just looking for solid info, not your résumé on how awesome you think you are. While I appreciate your info next time let someone else pat you on the back this way you won't break your arm trying to do it yourself.

16. Sep 24, 2013 at 8:14 AM
    sirhk100

sirhk100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well if you like taking your info from complete strangers that you have no clue where they're coming from or their experience, that's totally fine too... Sorry for including a little back ground on where my point of view comes from.

RCD Suspensions, Fabtech as a design consultant, Trailmaster Suspension, Performance Accessories, OR Fab, Shelby America are my previous employer list and I've left and moved on from each company to advance my career like any typical person would.

But hey, what do I know, it's my first time ever seeing a truck, suspension, or anything of the like... Feel free to take what you read by complete strangers and word of mouth over doing it yourself and first hand info. I never claimed to be smart, just to have some experience...

I'd venture to guess nobody else on this forum was at the truck viewing in Texas where the entire family was killed by from a fire caused by a head on wreck involving a truck that had our body lift kit on it that was still 100% in tact after the wreck and the subsequent fire or any of the other post wreck truck inspections that saw way more impact and damage then any truck running a body lift would ever see during general teenage abuse. But yeah, I'm really really concerned about my cab separating from my frame because a bunch of experts on a forum said it happens.

For someone that seems so insulted by my challenging the norm views on body lifts, I'm really curious as to what your back ground is and your super suspension system.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  17. Sep 24, 2013 at 8:20 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    :popcorn:

18. Sep 24, 2013 at 8:21 AM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    5100s and blocks

19. Sep 24, 2013 at 8:25 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD

Blocks? why not? Ford Raptors come with them....:stirthepot:

20. Sep 24, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    Bwahahaha ok bud. Im remember my first exaggeration

I think a 3" body lift is stupid and unnecessary, and a 6" DB suspension lift is stupid and unnecessary. how bout that :p

however my buddy absolutely rock crawls the shit out of his 6" lift and beats that truck to hell and back, and clearly you have a very impressive LT truck with a 3" body lift. So in both cases the typical nay sayers can eff off. Just personal preference i suppose

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top