1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Entune Navigation

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by elmerew, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Sep 23, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    elmerew

elmerew [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elmer
    San Diego/North Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB Baja White
    BakFlip F1 Bed Cover, Pop Lock for tailgate, Weathertech Digi Fit Floor mats and Side Window Deflectors, Dash Cover, Custom Seat Covers, Hood Protector, Scanguage 2, TopLine Bed Expander, and Rear seat cover for dog, lots of LED lights (from Chris)
    My 2013 Baja Tacoma came with the Entune unit. My only real complaint is with the navigation. Maybe it is because I'm used to Garmin like the nüvi® 2797LMT. I've contacted Toyota and get the same yawn of a response that they will pass it on to appropriate staff. I really don't like the unit because it has none of the features that make it workable. They don't even allow loading off-road or topographical maps. It doesn't have a "dashboard" or speed limit for current road. So If any of you feel I'm correct then let Toyota know and maybe they will modify the program to modern expectations.

trigama3 likes this.
  2. Sep 23, 2013 at 8:23 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    I don't have Entune but I found that majority of the people like it here. If I were going to get something like that then I would have gotten the stock radio and switched it out with an aftermarket monitor with nav. Or get the stock system and get a book of topical maps. Do they even sell topical maps anymore?

3. Sep 23, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    DavisBladeWorks

DavisBladeWorks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    North ATL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DSCB TRD Sport 4x4
    I don't like it because I live in a fairly recently developed area (within the last 5 years) and it only finds maybe 1 out of 5 addresses that I search for.

Manually inputing an address is almost impossible also. If I try to put in a random ATL address I put in the state, then city, and it only gives me like 2 zip codes to choose from, which is a very small section of ATL. I don't get this Navi system.

4. Sep 23, 2013 at 9:23 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    That's like buying a 4x2 and then saying you should have gotten a 4x4. Try it before you buy it.

5. Sep 23, 2013 at 9:26 AM
    DavisBladeWorks

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    North ATL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DSCB TRD Sport 4x4
    Eh, if people only bought the things that they considered perfect then I suspect we'd be purchasing much less.

I'm happy I have the entune system. I like it.. I'd much rather have a truck with it than without it. Do I wish it did some things better? Yes. I

I don't really see how anyone could think that's illogical. By all means carry on with prerogative of never complaining about something you've purchased. :rolleyes:

6. Sep 23, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    DavisBladeWorks

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    North ATL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DSCB TRD Sport 4x4
    I am. :)

My site isn't up yet, although it should be online soon. They are VERY expensive to do right, so that's a limiting factor. Not to mention I just spent 4200 dollars on my new grinder.

My videos don't show much of my knives, yet - since I'm starting a different channel solely for that purpose. My 10k followers on YouTube which greatly helps my sales, so I've focused my attention on that. :eek:

7. Sep 23, 2013 at 10:29 AM
    DavisBladeWorks

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    North ATL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DSCB TRD Sport 4x4
    Ha! Didn't know that existed. Let me get some pics together. :)

8. Sep 23, 2013 at 11:10 AM
    elmerew

elmerew [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elmer
    San Diego/North Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB Baja White
    BakFlip F1 Bed Cover, Pop Lock for tailgate, Weathertech Digi Fit Floor mats and Side Window Deflectors, Dash Cover, Custom Seat Covers, Hood Protector, Scanguage 2, TopLine Bed Expander, and Rear seat cover for dog, lots of LED lights (from Chris)
    The Baja model ONLY comes with Entune. I asked the dealer if they would sell the truck without and they said no. So I had no choice. I can live with it by not using the maps and relying on my existing Garmin. I would just be a lot easier if they would enhance the software to do more. The info is there, just no way to utilze it.

9. Sep 23, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    ATHiker

ATHiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5 OR 5.7L
    IMO this is BS. I expect that the world's largest auto company should be able to supply a vehicle with an adequate Nav system. If not, what does that say about Toyota? I researched the vehicle before I bought it, but should we have to check every component? Like others, my nav system will only find about 1/3 of the locations. I guess I will have to put my 5 year old Tom Tom in the truck.

10. Sep 23, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    Traction120

Traction120 "Not all those who wander are lost"

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB BLK
    SEE BUILD.
    Go home Navi, you're drunk...

392A1F4A-2AF5-445C-8109-CBFCDB0B1033-606_6b8af69013d7a53a34c01d75b9b32501431e9e95.jpg

11. Sep 23, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    DavisBladeWorks

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    North ATL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DSCB TRD Sport 4x4
    That was my paradigm about the whole thing as well. I've used nav systems in nissan, infiniti, and ford.....all of them worked - and worked well. Shows your speed, etc.

When I got my truck I just assumed (incorrectly) that the nav would be at least as user friendly and capable as the others, maybe give or take a few features. Definitely, it would have been nice to test it thoroughly before buying - but I didn't. I just kind of assumed that the functionality would be there. It didn't even cross my mind that someone could screw up a navigation system this badly. I thought the technology was pretty much standard now. I'm still glad I have entune for the other features, but the navi is just about useless for me. I do hope they do an update soon.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  12. Sep 23, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    ATHiker

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    Funny that i was able to trust Honda / Acura, but not Toyota.

13. Sep 23, 2013 at 11:35 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Yes. I think that you should test out what you're buying before you buy it. You think that some people would take responsibility for when they buy something they don't like. It's easier for some people to blame everyone else instead of themselves. When you're spending the amount of money on Toyota that you do, you think that you would test everything possible out. Just because the Nav system is crap to some people, that doesn't say the whole quality of Toyota is shit. If it's not to your expectation then you shouldn't have bought it or change it out to something you do. Toyota is there to make money, not make every single person's demand in a vehicle possible. I guess you live in a world where you trust someone(salesman/Toyota) to tell you that the Entune system is great etc. The rest of us do our homework, try things out. Not buy them and then come here and bitch that it's not to your expectation.

14. Sep 23, 2013 at 11:39 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    I wonder if he believes everything he reads on the internet? If he does then he's going to be really disappointed that it's not all true.

15. Sep 23, 2013 at 11:41 AM
    cameronlane

cameronlane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cameron
    Anywhere but there
    Vehicle:
    2014 Dbl Cab TRD OR 4x4
    Are you guys that saying people to test before you buy suggesting they bring in a list of addresses and plug them in to make sure it registers every one? The complaints people are bringing up seems to go beyond they basic on the lot inspection.

16. Sep 23, 2013 at 11:42 AM
    ATHiker

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    Sorry, but I disagree. Most reputable companies will not offer a substandard product. I bought the Entune to get the JBL system, which the audio is pretty good.

17. Sep 23, 2013 at 11:46 AM
    cameronlane

cameronlane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cameron
    Anywhere but there
    Vehicle:
    2014 Dbl Cab TRD OR 4x4
    Well then dang.

18. Sep 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    DavisBladeWorks

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    North ATL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DSCB TRD Sport 4x4
    See this is where I failed. I tested my address, and it was a no go. I chocked it up to the fact that my house was built 2 months prior. I should have tried a different address, but I didn't

Here's the kicker, it wouldn't have changed a thing. I still would have wanted the nav system for the times that it would work, but I do really hope they do an update. There's a lesson learned here. Being 25 I am often learning life lessons, sometimes at a cost. This happens to be one of those times.

19. Sep 23, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    yogster

yogster merkwürdigliebe

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCLB SR5
    DCLB Black 4WD Illumination dial from 4runner, Flyzeyes LED. Hardwire GPS and Valentine1 with BlendMount mirror mount, TRD shift knob, tube steps, swapped out for signal lamp mirrors. Garmin Eco-Route HD for Bluetooth ODBII Diagnostics, 2014 Entune Plus w Navigation, Leer 100XL dome light wired to dome circuit, pop&lock tailgate and cap locks.
    From my limited experience with OEM units, they well, suck. I think Jeep had an arrangement with Garmin (or was it TomTom) where there unit popped into an OEM Jeep radio.

Others may differ, but my experience with Garmin is great. They have the UI down, they have the options, display, functionality that OEM and even most aftermarket units are not even coming close to. For $350 or so I can have the top of the line Garmin unit, lifetime maps, I can add street maps, or terrain (done both). There's no reason to pay, what 3-4K - that THREE-to-FOUR THOUSAND for an OEM Nav unit. These units should do EVERYTHING, when at best they are just "OK". Navigation is COMMONPLACE, not a luxury feature anymore.

Maybe manufacturers needs to approach Garmin and see what they can do. My guess is they have and (Jeep exception aside) either party is reluctant or wants to much. I guess if an "OK" OEM nav unit is 3-4K upgrade, then a top of the line Garmin upgrade would be what, 10K?

Manufacturers always seem to lag. They were still pushing cassettes when CDs were 100% mainstream. They were slow to the Bluetooth, USB integration. I guess they have contracts with their supplies for x-years or y-units and are locked in, and changes only come gradually.

20. Sep 23, 2013 at 11:56 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Well shit! You should go and buy a Ford or Dodge. Have a great Nav, audio system. At least you'll get what you wanted. I'm sure that you'll love the depreciated value. If the Nav system was a make it or break it for you buying a vehicle then you shouldn't have bought it. But if you want to remain ignorant in your decision then so be it, that's your choice. Next time you should bring someone with you the next time you make your next big purchase.

Beavis is right though. You're going to continue to learn until the day you die.

Products Discussed in

To Top