1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A Few Questions from a Future Owner

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Charlie14, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Sep 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM
    Charlie14

Charlie14 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Florida
    I have been wanting to get a Tacoma for several years now and have finally decided to go ahead and pull the trigger, and I'm pumped:yay:

First I have to sell my current ride which is a 2006 Roush Mustang GT. I love this car and have had a ton of fun with it but it is time to move on, here is a pic.
    IMG_1071_zpseaf7ac73_4629278f446908684161bee6bc35f13d47e37267.jpg

Any ways I have been looking around the site for a few days and online at other various sources on the web and have a few questions.

PAINT
    I have decided that I want to either get a white or black Tacoma but I have been reading that Toyota and Lexus (same company so same paint method) both are notorious for less than stellar paint jobs(very thin, chips easily), especially when it comes to white or black colors. So I am wondering if this is something that was an issue in the past and has now been fixed or is this still an ongoing issue? I plan on getting a 2014 TRD Sport DC so I'm hoping that this is a non issue now.

SUSPENSION/LIFT
    I plan on doing a mild lift solely for the purpose of larger wheels and tires and to give it a nice aggressive stance. I doubt I will take it off road ever so not looking for a high performance off road suspension. Now I have found numerous threads on "What is the best lift for non off road use" so I am not going to ask that question. However I am curious if anyone has ever used Neoprene rubber coil spring booster? Something like this http://www.gnarly4x4.com/mr-gasket-company-2-25-inch-coil-spring-booster-1284-coil-spring-spacer/
    I have looked alot and haven't found anyone using this on any model truck. I had a friend that had a titan and used them and he was very pleased. It allowed him to keep his stock ride quality and put some larger wheels and tires for a nice aggressive look but I never actually got to see the truck.
    My plan is to get some billies with some OME springs in conjunction with these coil spring boosters to give me the desired look that I want and at the same time have a nice ride. So any thoughts on this setup?

WHEELS AND TIRES
    I have decided I want to go with the Ballistic Jesters 18x9 but am trying to decide on which offset. Their website states that the only option they have is either a 0 or +12 offset. Now I have seen some post on here from a few members that have the Jesters with a -12 offset which is what I want because I would like the wheels and tires to stick out a little but when I search for the -12 offset it tells me that it won't fit my vehicle. Should I just ignore this or is there something that I should know?(the bolt pattern is correct when it tells me that it wont fit my car)
    As far as tires go I want to get Nitto Terra Grapplers 275/70/18 or 295/70/18. Based on my suspension plans and wheel selection which tire size would be the best?

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys can give me!

2. Sep 25, 2013 at 7:51 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    not a good idea to stack lifts.

ur best to get the proper springs and shocks first.... do it right 1 time and save money.

3. Sep 26, 2013 at 4:22 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    x2. You are going to run into issues with the route you are taking. The Billies with the coil spring booster(not recommended) is going to give you a stiff ride and you haven't even addressed the rear lift. The (34'")295/70/18 tire size will require at least 3" of lift, UCA's,plastic trimming and more than likely a cab mount chop. The 275/70/18 would still require at least some plastic trimming.

4. Sep 26, 2013 at 9:10 AM
    TxFireman

TxFireman Factory Pilot

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC-SB TRD-OR, tow package, entune/nav
    On the paint issue, I'm only aware of the super white difference. It has a single stage paint, unlike the pearl colors. I don't know that the black uses a single stage, but since you're looking at it as an option, it would be worth checking into so you know what you're getting. They say the white has the clear coat mixed into the pigment. So, it does not receive a final clear coat like pearl colors will (EX: magnetic gray, pyrite, etc.). It's my understanding that it's just more work to keep the shine in the paint.

Here is a link to one thread on the topic of the Super White - Clear Coat.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/290778-white-paint-clear-coated.html

5. Sep 27, 2013 at 3:38 PM
    Charlie14

Charlie14 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Florida
    I definitely want to do it right the first time I guess I just misunderstood the purpose of the coil spring boosters. I thought if you could use them on the OEM coils then you could use them on aftermarket springs as well.

Thanks for the info on the tire sizing. I don't want to do any cutting on the truck other than maybe some plastic trimming. Will definitely keep this in mind.

Thanks for the link, it was very informative. I think based on what I have read and your link I am going to be going with black!

Anyone else have any insight?? 200+ views and only 3 responses?
    Also still curious if anyone has any experience with the coil spring booster setup?

Products Discussed in

To Top