1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Has Anyone Relocated or Extended a Cable From The Aux Audio Port?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tunngavik, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Jun 3, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    Tunngavik

Tunngavik [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Access Cab 6 speed manual
    KC-HiLites Fog Lamps, Kicker speaker and tweeter upgrade, USB in center console, Power tailgate lock, Soundproofing, 32" lightbar
    I have a 2010 Tacoma with the auxiliary audio port underneath the climate controls. I would like to take an audio cable, splice it into the port, and then extend the cable to my center console. This will keep the cables and sound shocker out of sight and make it look a lot cleaner.

Has anyone done this before - I looked all over Tacoma World and the internet as a whole and could not find much of anything.

2. Jun 3, 2013 at 8:07 AM
    mightytacoman

mightytacoman Mighty-known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Brian Crower stroker kit, Carrillo pistons moly/ceramic coated, BC sportsman rods, arp s2000 head bolts, Darton M.I.D sleeves, Kelford race cams, Magnusson supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, CSF radiator, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.3", fpr mod, NST crank, water and alternator pullies, 160° mishimoto thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluids, custom airbox, tundra sized intake. 76mm throttle body, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, URD equal length headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 1- 20" slim light bar in grill, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. North Star agm 27f battery, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    curious about the same, aftermarket stereo i put in had an aux port in the front but a wireing diagram so that one could use the factory port would be pretty cool.

3. Jun 3, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    Tunngavik

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    KC-HiLites Fog Lamps, Kicker speaker and tweeter upgrade, USB in center console, Power tailgate lock, Soundproofing, 32" lightbar
    I'm surprised nobody seems to have thought of/done this before considering some of the bizarre mods that get posted.

4. Jun 3, 2013 at 9:57 AM
    Valsmere

Valsmere Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    EXPENSIVE
    tail gate lock, rear view mirror bracket, hood hinge brackets, and the list grows.
    Subbed for future outcome:)

5. Jun 3, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    MetallicTaco

MetallicTaco Taco Driver Since '07

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC SB
    TRD Supercharger Alpine INE-Z928HD, TT Image Dynamics Components, TT 10" sub, JL Audio 4/600, Alpine Front and Rear facing camera lic plates
    Why do you need to splice the audio cable into the existing 3.5 mm jack, and WTF is a sound shocker?
    I don't know the 2010 model year AUX port, but on my '13 there is a USB/Aux port combo. I assume you don't want to extend the USB connectivity?
    Before you cut anything I would try this. Get a 3.5 mm extension cable with the correct male/female connector at the end which mates with whatever your source is. Make sure it is long enough for the run to land into your console. Connect it up, check to see that it works. If all is well then you can proceed to install it the way you want. Tear down the Head unit and supporting interior items and pop out the Aux port 3.5 mm connector from the harness. Then run the new cable under the shifter (assuming auto trans). into the console. You would then need to close up the area where the resulting hole would be from the old aux port, maybe a new cover?
    I have seen tear down vids of routing cables into the center console area, that should not be too hard to find.
    Now that I think about it, lots of folks running custom subwoofer(s) route the power cable to the amps under the shifter and under the console. You could do something similar to this to land your 3.5 mm connection in your console.
    @ ~6.30 mark you can see the removal of the shifter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zMX2piCvhA

6. Jun 3, 2013 at 12:53 PM
    Tunngavik

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    A 2010 doesn't have USB - so no I don't want to relocate or extend that.

Sound shocker is a passive preamp due to the poor volume output from the existing aux port. Lots of discussions on this.

I want the existing port in place and want to run a cable from it (under the center partition - that I know how to remove) to the center console.

7. Jun 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    I'll post pictures tomorrow. For my '10 I drilled a small hole towards the right side. Ran a male to male 3.5mm rca cord back through the center console ... shifter ... drilled a hole in the bottom of the console box .... this is where I placed my amplifier ... plugged in 3' 3.5mm male to male .... plugged in my mp3 .... the top closes with lots of play to set the mp3 next to the shifter .... from either seat your cannot see the cord coming out of the aux plug in the lower dash ... I'll add photos in the morning.

8. Jun 5, 2013 at 8:10 AM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    My set up ...

I cleaned up the hole ... from the driver and passenger seats you can't see this. Pulled up thge shifter console ... tie-wrapped cable to the side ...

[​IMG]

Drilled a hole in the bottom and fed the cable through ... the Sound Shocker (double sided tape) really pumps up the sound ...

[​IMG]

There is anough of a gap with the cover closed ... doesn't pinch the cable ...

[​IMG]

9. Jun 5, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    Tunngavik

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for posting that. It's certainly another way of doing it and gives me some ideas...

10. Jun 5, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    As I said ... you don't see/notice the aux cable while driving.

11. Jun 5, 2013 at 10:55 PM
    elsenordave

elsenordave HaoleBilt

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave Smith
    |-| /-\ \/\/ /-\ | |
    Vehicle:
    Blown 2013 NBM DCSB Sport
    AFE CAI TRD Exhaust TRD Supercharger 3" Cornfed Spacer 2" Toytec AAL
    I just popped out the USB/aux port and ran a extension over to the glove box...I zipped tied the OEM connector to the ac control harness...clean and out of sight...

12. Jun 6, 2013 at 12:13 AM
    JimmyCee

JimmyCee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JC
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD
  13. Sep 30, 2013 at 9:35 PM
    Tunngavik

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Well I finally got around to doing this. This isn’t going to be a photo laden post with every step is illustrated, but fortunately it’s not that tough to do.

1. Pull out the Aux plug under the center console. There is not much extra wire so the Aux will not come that far past the lower dash.
    2. At the back of the Aux plug is a removable white connector. Remove the connector from the plug and place the Aux plug in a safe place.
    3. Next step is to cut the wires leading to the white connector. I cut the wires leading to the connector so there was enough that I could splice in extension wires at the other end.
    4. Cut new wires the length of where the Aux plug used to be to the new location in the center console. Note that the wires are very small diameter so it’s probably a good idea to use wires of a similar diameter.
    5. Splice the extension wires to the wires in the dash. Make note of the color of each wire for the reconnect in the center console.
    6. Run the spliced wires from the dash, underneath the shifter console to the center console (you will have to remove the shifter/center console.
    7. Where you place the Aux plug in the center console is up to you (I placed mine in the bottom as shown in the photo but if IU did it again I would place it on the side of the console (requires using a Dremel tool) or more over to the side of the bottom.
    8. Splice the extension wires to the white connector that you cut off in the previous step.
    9. Connect the Aux plug to the white connector.
    10. Test to see if it works.
    11. Place a dummy plug where
    It’s pretty straight forward but if you have any questions please post them in this thread instead of giving me a PM. I’ve been driving about 4000kms with the new setup and no issues so far. Works great and no more cables all over the place below the dash.

Part Numbers include:

White Connector (officially called a Noise Filter): 90980-12551
    Replacement Dummy Plug to fill the space of the Aux Plug: 555539-28160-c0

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top