1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ideas for preventing rock chips?!?!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by suburbanHILLBILLY, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Oct 1, 2013 at 7:44 AM
    suburbanHILLBILLY

suburbanHILLBILLY [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Chicago Land Area
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5
    none yet, starting this weekend!
    I have 2008 tacoma double cab. No lift yet... but will be ordering up an icon lift soon. I just got a set of wrangler duratracs and needless to say they love flinging rocks all over my doors and rocker panels.. I took the mud flaps off not really a fan of them. I was wondering if I got a set of the allpro rocksliders with the inserts if that would help keep rocks from being shot at my doors.. what you guys think?!

2. Oct 1, 2013 at 7:49 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    Mudflaps are there for a reason.

3. Oct 1, 2013 at 7:51 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You may catch most of them with filled in sliders.

You can also look at ChipGuard paint...It's the orange peel looking stuff. It can be applied anywhere and tinted any color. The body shop wouldn't do Black LineX on the wife 4R rocker panels, but they suggested this stuff and it works great!

4. Oct 1, 2013 at 7:58 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    No experience with these products but you may look into those invisible film such as 3M paint protector clear film or Invisibra to help with the rock chips.

5. Oct 1, 2013 at 8:14 AM
    Oregon TRD

Oregon TRD "GO DUCKS" Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Steel Panthers bathroom floor!
    Vehicle:
    2005 Mall Krawler
    6" Fabtech Lift, 35" Fierce M/T 17" Eagle Alloy Sim bead locks Naked girls in the bed 10.1" DVD head unit Two 7" Headrest Monitors PS2 in glove box
    This^^^

My buddy does vinyl wraps and he can do a clear "invisible" wrap in any area. He did to the front of his Audi and the rocker panel area and inside door handle indentions to prevent scratches from opening the doors.

You have to look real close to see it. Pretty cool shit.

6. Oct 1, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    I have sliders with fill plates and it 100% stops everything in that angle of things being thrown, however there is still that small window between the front of the slider and the fender. I knew I should have made them 2" longer.

I vote slider for being multi-purpose and more permanent (and better protection) than some film.

7. Oct 1, 2013 at 9:01 AM
    Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mn.
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC T|X Baja
    I ordered sliders with expanded steel fill from 4Xinnovations last week in part to help with rocker panel damage from stones. Went with expanded steel to allow drainage of mud, snow and water. I usually take off mud flaps on newer vehicles because they are so hard now days that they can cause body damage in the woods. I also just got the weathertech mud flaps but they are much harder and stiffer than I hoped. I will cut them down to the formed piece and leave a little left to attach softer and more flexible mud flaps.

On my Xterra I cheaped out and used trimbrite tape on the rocker panels for 5 years without mud flaps. It worked extremely well and when I traded it in for the Taco still looked decent. But on the new Taco if the expanded steel doesn't catch most of the rocks then I will use 3M clear tape.

http://www.amazon.com/Trimbrite-T9021-Body-Guard-Black/dp/B00029XD7G

8. Oct 1, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Sliders with fill plates. I've got the BAMF version and have been very happy with them.

Products Discussed in

To Top