1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tinting Glass????

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoMan1911, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Oct 5, 2013 at 7:51 PM
    TacoMan1911

TacoMan1911 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    LA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TSS DCSB Black DENALI EATER
    I have an 08 regular cab and want to get some tint. I am unfamiliar with how it works. What determines how dark it will be? What's a reasonable price? Should I do all 4 pieces of glass, or not do the windshield? I am looking for a nice tint, but not like a limo blacked out look. Just something to block UV rays and make the glass look better, but I still want to see well at night. Any suggestions as to brands, style, or where to get this done? Thanks!!

2. Oct 5, 2013 at 8:04 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Windshield tint is illegal below the small white line that you see at the edges about 4" down from the roof. Some do tint that area, but the texture above the mirror makes it hard to get a good looking job that will last without bubbling.

For the rear window, do as dark as you like. I didn't tint the rear because I have a shell.

For the side windows, check your state laws. Many states allow for no applied tinting. Some allow light transmission to 70%, and others allow to 35%.
    Keep in mind that your stock factory tint is already 70%, so to reach 35% you can't run darker than 50% film.

Personally, I like 35% film on the fronts. It's dark enough to take the edge off of the sun and provide some privacy for contents, but it's not so dark that it will present visibility problems at night.

3. Oct 5, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Its rated it percentage.... And it percentage of light allowed through.

5% allows about 5% of visible light through for instance.

5 is pretty dark and on side windows can and often does (friend owns a shop and I've seen people do this) affect viewing side mirrors at night and can make merging dangerous. I've seen a few ppl try it while being warned, then they come back within days sometimes and ask for 30 on the front doors.

Windshield is pets preference along with ur local laws.... Even 70% can have very good heat reflective properties.

The issue with windshields is they can pop due to the heat shrinking/ shaping that goes on due to the multiple layers of glass and plastic in the wi dshield itself. It can be done, and a good shop should have no problems.

The dot matrix presents another issue for some.... Some shop use glue, some cut around, some shrink around it. Find a reputable shop in ur area.

4. Oct 5, 2013 at 8:13 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Damn rich, u hadn't posted before I started typing.... Good info.

I agree, I think I have 30 or 35 on the front sides, a 5 strip, and the rear is 20ish on top of the OEM privacy tint/ dye... With a reflective window shade against the windshield the truck stay nice and cool, and dark since the windshield cover blocks the excess light.

Vent visors with dark tint are nice too because I leave the windows cracked and its not obvious. And still tinted.

5. Oct 5, 2013 at 8:20 PM
    justinstoytac

justinstoytac Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    CO
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Weather-Tech Floor liners, Weather-Tech Rain Guard, Cover King Set covers, 3M Window Tint, Tube Steps, Roof Rack Future Mods: Plasti dip Grill and badges Future Up-grades: Bilstein 5100 Hight adjustable set at 2.5", Bilstein 5100, Multi-leaf spring pack Leaf progressive 1.5" lift
    I got mine done for $260 3M tint 15% in Back and 25% in Front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top