1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fogging

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dunwur, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Oct 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM
    dunwur

dunwur [OP] Active Member

Member:
    toronto Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma sr5 4x4
    What is with the inside of the windshield in my Taco always being foggy ????? I have tried my blower on at different speeds , Washed the surface with water vinegar / solution , left windows partially down , made sure there was nothing inside cab containing liquid but can't get the windows as clear as they should be . I have owned many vehicles in my lifetime and have never come accross this to this degree . Anyone else having this problem ? It's driving me nuts . Is it the glass itself ? This is so bad at times that it is actually unsafe to drive because of the poor visability .....

2. Oct 6, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    nut

nut she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |
    keep the vent on recirc. that helps a lot imo

3. Oct 6, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    Try using your A/C to clear the windows. A/C will remove the condensation.

... or give the girl a rest :D

[​IMG]

4. Oct 6, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    Tunngavik

Tunngavik Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Access Cab 6 speed manual
    KC-HiLites Fog Lamps, Kicker speaker and tweeter upgrade, USB in center console, Power tailgate lock, Soundproofing, 32" lightbar
    Never had that problem with mine. Are you sure your air recycle is not on? If not, and you have access to a garage- then put a portable air heater in it over the day (or two) keeping the windows open a crack.

Your truck is pretty new, so I'm assuming there is not a pinhole leak in your heater core. Any odd smells in the truck? What is the outside humidity on those days when you have the problem? Do you smoke inside the truck?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  5. Oct 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM
    Tunngavik

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    KC-HiLites Fog Lamps, Kicker speaker and tweeter upgrade, USB in center console, Power tailgate lock, Soundproofing, 32" lightbar
    +1

6. Oct 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM
    Tunngavik

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Huh? That will make it worst! You will have to turn it off recirc!!!

7. Oct 6, 2013 at 9:14 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    I pretty much drive with A/C on year-round. Never have a fogging issue.

Toronto (and indeed much of the area around the Great Lakes) tend to have high humidity, so you often need to have the A/C on, even when you have the heat on. You'll know it's working when you see a puddle of water behind the passenger side front wheel after a drive. :D

If you turn the vent position knob to demist, the A/C is on automatically, even if you didn't manually turn it on.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  8. Oct 6, 2013 at 9:18 AM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
  9. Oct 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM
    nut

nut she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |
    leaving it on outside vent lets more dirt in and attach to your windshield to allow water droplets to adhere to them causing the "fog" you see. recirc has less particulate being flung onto the glass.

10. Oct 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM
    CorrosiveTendency

CorrosiveTendency When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    05' DblCab SB Speedway Blue
    OME 885's, Locker Mod. Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners
    The recirculation setting is just going to keep circulating the already humid air, it that is the cause.
    OP: Are your floor mats wet/damp? Do you smoke in the truck?

11. Oct 6, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    Conex

Conex Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had a heater core go bad in a different vehicle and it did the same thing. Do you happen to smell coolant inside the truck?

12. Oct 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    I was having the same problem. :( I used low heat windshield defrost, no recirc. This gives me warm dry air, not hot, no condensation inside or out.:cool:

13. Oct 6, 2013 at 4:14 PM
    dunwur

dunwur [OP] Active Member

Member:
    toronto Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma sr5 4x4
    Forgot to mention that when I brought it into the dealership , I was told that this is normal in this part of the country . I just said " Yeah Right " and walked out and said I would go and talk to someone who knew what they were talking about . I've lived here for over 50 yrs . and never had this problem with any other pick-up I've owned .

14. Oct 6, 2013 at 4:41 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    A/C is a de-humidifier and a good one just turn the control to defrost the A/C comes on fog goes away in seconds most all newer vehicles fog up that's why the A/C comes on during defrost. Don't use recirculate it will make it worse.

15. Oct 6, 2013 at 4:42 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Wrong way.... keep the vent OFF of recirc unless running the AC.

When the vent is on recirc, is it also recirculating your exhaled breath.
    The AC dries the air wonderfully... just turn the AC on and move the heat up a notch... nice warm dry air on a wet day feels nice.

16. Oct 6, 2013 at 4:45 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    This too....

Part of that "New Car Smell" is the plastics offgassing. These by-products also coat the glass and promote fogging.

Even if the glass looks clean, hit it with Windex and microfiber a couple of times a week for the first few months until the "New Car Smell" goes away.

17. Oct 6, 2013 at 4:47 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    We have a cabin filter.

The air on recirc is no cleaner than the air coming in from outside, possibly dirtier because last time I checked, we don't have a cabin filter on our doors or windows.

18. Oct 7, 2013 at 5:27 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Little fact, hot air holds more moisture then cold air it's all about the dew point. No sense drawing more moist air in on recirculate. If it's way hot outside then use recirculate the truck will cool better recirculating the cooler air inside that's why it comes on full cold setting.

19. Oct 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM
    CorrosiveTendency

CorrosiveTendency When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    05' DblCab SB Speedway Blue
    OME 885's, Locker Mod. Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners
    Not a hijack, but do you think the cab stays cooler with the recirc on when running the AC?

20. Oct 7, 2013 at 2:57 PM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Only when it's real hot and humid.

Products Discussed in

To Top