1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6 Inch Lift Rim Size Q's

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by WhiteMud, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Sep 16, 2013 at 7:03 PM
    WhiteMud

WhiteMud [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Sport
    Hey there.

I'm doing a 6 inch BDS lift on Taco, do I have to go with an 18" rim? Or will 17's be okay, I just like the meatier tire look.

2. Sep 16, 2013 at 9:07 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    First off they're wheels, a rim is what you play basketball with.

Second, you don't "have" to get any size wheel. It's your choice

3. Sep 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM
    Evenflow

Evenflow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Yes ! you do need to pay very close attention to the rim shape, size and back spacing that you get with a 6" lift. First you need a rim style that will clear the front brake caliper most wheels that are flat in middle will not clear the caliper. There are multiple clearance factors and there is a nearly universal requirement for a 4.5" back spacing on a DB 6" lift kit. The other factor is the clearance from the back of your rim or tire to the front surface of the spindle at all angles of suspension flex etc. A rim or tire that sits too close to the spindle may rub the spindle as the suspension cycles and stuff flexes etc. Last but not least it is critical to understand that any 6" kit that tells you it " clears 35's " is total and complete bullshit unless you call driving in a straight line and never hitting a bump " clearing 35's ". Under no circumstances should you crank your CO's all the way to try and turn it into a 7" lift... The ride will totally suck and it will still rub. You must notch the cab mount , flatten your pinch weld and keep cutting plastic to have full lock to lock with no rub.

I think the reason they may state 18" rims is that a 17" x 8 with a 35" tire may have more tire clearance issues with the spindle...could be wrong but it makes sense that the further you go up the spindle the farther way you are from it because of how it angles ?

Long story short don't buy anything that has not been mounted and test fit on your truck.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  4. Sep 16, 2013 at 9:58 PM
    WhiteMud

WhiteMud [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Sport
    Well unfortunately, I will not be able to test fit anything.

BDS is saying the 18" wheel is mandatory, so I guess that decision is made. Not a chance I will be going with 35's, I'll most likely be doing a 285/70/R18, around a 33.5". That way I won't have to completely molest my inner fender wells.

5. Oct 6, 2013 at 7:17 PM
    CZRT24

CZRT24 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner Sport
    ICON 2.5 Front, ICON 2.0 Rear, Maxtrac 4" Spindles, ICON 1.5 AAL Kit, 2" Rear Block, Nitto Trail Grapplers 295 70 R17, 17x9 Fuel Krank Wheels, GoRhino steps
    295 70 r17's wrapped around a 17x9 wheel

4" spindles and Icon coilovers.

Absolute ZERO rubbing issues and minor trimming of plastic was necessary.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top