1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking For Better MPG Tires - On Student Budget - 05' 2.7L Prerunner

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Brokenbuyer, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Oct 7, 2013 at 10:50 PM
    Brokenbuyer

Brokenbuyer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...t-bought-05-prerunner-sr5-first-car-tips.html

Currently have Wild Peak A/T Off-Road Tires - 285/75R16 right now.
    Getting 17-18MPG.

Looking for some highway, low resistance, 245's or 265's.

1. Somebody told me that I wouldn't need to change the wheels and if I got 245's or 265's they would still fit on them?

2. I also have a lift kit that I would like to get off when I get new tires installed. Difficult task? Would any local tire place [that I purchase from] be willing to remove it?

3. Working with a student budget so would like to keep the cost low with max benefit.

From reading around looks like top recommended tires are:
    - Michelin LTX M/S
    - Michelin LTX MS2
    - Michelin LTX A/T2

Looks like I'll waiting for a deal or sale? Any of these will run $600-700 right now.

Thanks TW!

2. Oct 8, 2013 at 5:29 AM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5
    Look for Michelin tires with the Green X designation, they are supposed to have low rolling resistance. Check out the Michelin Latitude Tour (a crossover/SUV tire) in a 265/70 R16, it has sufficient load rating for your truck and is a super great highway tire. $157 each or $628 for a set of 4 at Tire Rack. If you go with these tires and keep your speed down to 60 mph or less you should be able to hit 23 mpg.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Latitude+Tour

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/suv-crossover/latitude-tour/tire-details

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  3. Oct 8, 2013 at 9:15 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've owned both the Michelin MS2s and the AT2s both on my Tacoma. I can tell you that if you're looking for the lightest, longest lasting, low rolling resistance, smoothest highway tire go with the MS2s. The second I rolled out of the Discount Tire parking lot which had a slight decline coming out it rolled in Nuetral only the weight of the vehicle. With the tires I had before in the same spot, the truck required gas coming out of the same decline. On the highway and road it requires very little effort to keep the rolling momentum going with the MS2s and I saved a solid 2 mpgs just going to these tires from my previous. The only drawback I would say is that it is a conservative looking tire, so I eventually changed up to the AT2 all terrains which I find to be the best all around performing tire out. They are everything they are made out to be check out the reviews online.

If you go offroad even light trails, go with the LTX AT2s. Highway only, MS2s.

4. Oct 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM
    Brokenbuyer

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Big MPG difference between the AT2s and the MS2s? If the difference is negligible, then I might go with the AT2s for the bonus offroad in case.

The Latitude Tours look nice as well.
    Any other thoughts or suggestions?

5. Oct 9, 2013 at 8:44 PM
    Brokenbuyer

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
  6. Oct 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:

No I didn't notice a big difference in the MPG between the Michelins tires, it was between the MS2s and my old Goodyear Duratracs. I would go with the AT2s that way you have the ability to go off road if you need to, but still save on MPGs. I just took my AT2s out on the lake today on a sand bar and they performed GREAT.

7. Oct 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM
    Brokenbuyer

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Alrighty, looks like AT2's it is! Now I just want to wait on a deal or some sort of rebate to come up.

Any suggestions? Lowest anyone has seen them for?

8. Oct 15, 2013 at 5:57 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    Costco has a $70 rebate on Michelins until 10/27

http://tires2.costco.com/?srchKeyword=tires

Products Discussed in

To Top