1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diff Lock vs. 4Hi vs 4Lo

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by BravoZulu469, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Jul 10, 2009 at 9:37 AM
    BravoZulu469

BravoZulu469 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    06 Superwhite TRD O/F
    Pioneer Deck, CB Radio, 3 inch body lift, exhaust soon,
    Doesn't 4Hi and 4Lo lock the rear diff anyways? So why would I need this button....

[​IMG]

2. Jul 10, 2009 at 10:23 AM
    BravoZulu469

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    06 Superwhite TRD O/F
    so why is there a need to have the diff lock button and the 4lo?

3. Jul 10, 2009 at 10:28 AM
    ryanf

ryanf Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 AC 4X4 6cly/6spd TRD-OR
    Rain Visors,
    When you are in 4-lo, that is just a lower gear ratio through your transfer case, It has nothing to do with having a locked rear Diff. Now on the Off Road models, it allows you to lock the rear diff. When you engauge the locker, it locks both axels ( left and right rear wheels ) together, so they spin together NO MATTER WHAT. Where as if you had an open diff, depending on the terrain, or tire placement one wheel would get more power.

The only thing the Locker and 4-LO have in common, in this instance, is that toyota will only let you lock your rear end in 4-lo

hope this helps

4. Jul 10, 2009 at 10:28 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    because in 4 wheel drive, regardless of the gear reduction (4low or 4hi) only two wheels have power transfered to them in low traction situations. That would be the right rear and the left front.

This is caused by the physics involved with open carrier differentials. (does not apply to sport models, as they have a limited slip carrier in the rear axle)

5. Jul 10, 2009 at 2:41 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Study up on how 4x works first. Basically when you put it in 4hi or 4lo you have made it so power goes to the front wheels. Now, think about driving your truck in a circle in a parkinglot, the outside wheels have to rotate more times than the inside wheels for the truck to get to the same place; let's say the outside tire fully rotates 15 times and the inside tire only rotates 10 times. You with me? good. Now for this to happen (wheels rotating differently around turns) your truck has an open differential which basically will put power to one wheel while you turn and let the other basically coast through the turn, since they are rotating differently. This mechanism takes stress off of drivetrain components, prevents uneven wear on your tires, and helps the truck not to slide out (fishtail) on turns. NOW, when you have a Locker engaged, it make both of the rear wheels rotate exactly the same and both having equal power; when you do the same circle in a parkinglot with a locker engaged, the tires will squeal and sometimes "hop", this is because the tires are being pushed or dragged because they aren't rotating naturally.

It's like if you ever tried to do a donut in your truck, probably only 1 wheel did the peeling-out= open diff.

6. Jul 10, 2009 at 2:51 PM
    bwood_usmc

bwood_usmc Wiskey Tango Foxtrot....

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Clayton Ga / Clemson SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Off Road package
    3" Trux Lift, 285-75-R16 BFG All Terrains, K&N Cold Air Intake
    Where can i find out how to do this mod????

7. Jul 10, 2009 at 2:54 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
  8. Jul 10, 2009 at 2:57 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
  9. Jul 10, 2009 at 3:00 PM
    bwood_usmc

bwood_usmc Wiskey Tango Foxtrot....

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Clayton Ga / Clemson SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Off Road package
    3" Trux Lift, 285-75-R16 BFG All Terrains, K&N Cold Air Intake
  10. Jul 10, 2009 at 8:12 PM
    BravoZulu469

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    06 Superwhite TRD O/F
    I understand the deal about turning and one wheel having to spin faster and power going to two wheels in low traction conditions. But what are the driving situations when I would need to lock my rear diff? I know that 4Hi would be like when I am driving around town in the snow. 4Lo would be rock crawling or something like that. In what situations would the diff locker(in 2Hi) be useful?

11. Jul 10, 2009 at 8:15 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i think most people mod it in order to use it in 4hi

12. Jul 11, 2009 at 5:49 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    4 Hi can be good on trails and light crawling. 4Lo can be helpful in some slick offroad conditions and more intense crawling. I've used the e-brake locker to get outta some stucks. Heavy duty rock crawling uses it. I'm not really sure past that...but I know 1) I want one and 2) I wanna learn how to use it more...

13. Jul 11, 2009 at 5:54 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    One situation I can think of.... If you own/tow a boat. Loading & unloading a boat on a slippery boat ramp - a locker would help.

Other than that, if you don't have 4WD and you're driving around in the snow - it could be a great benefit.

Lockers are specifically used for times when you're stuck or lose traction. That's it in a nutshell.

14. Jul 11, 2009 at 6:01 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Cross Axled?? Like cambered off to the left in front and the right in the back??

15. Jul 11, 2009 at 6:38 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    knock, knock, knock.....Umm... suspension travel for street driving?

16. Jul 11, 2009 at 10:46 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    For a while we have quit using the driveway and started driving through the ditch.

17. Jul 11, 2009 at 2:42 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    ::nods:: That's what I thought you meant...Hadn't heard it called crossed axles before-

and yeah...I know about losing power to both....I've been there. I was NOT happy.

18. Jul 11, 2009 at 3:19 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I'd say.... You got me confused. I can't imagine what the original poster is thinking. ;)

Atleast you're having fun driving to & from work?

19. Jan 15, 2010 at 8:44 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Hi Bravo Zulu!

I just posted this in another thread... but it will help in this on, too...

Everyone with a 4WD Taco needs to enjoy their truck and what it was made to do! 4WD LOW (L4) is for CRAWLING Up or Down steep grades, or deep/ stuck in the mud situations... SLOW is the beauty of LOW RANGE... You won't break things if you crawl over them. Low Range is for maximum torque power to the tires, not speed. As has been said above, you can't go fast in L4.

Now, for the '09 and '10 Off Road TRD 4WD Tacos... We have the A-TRAC button to push in L4, this provides LSD (Limited Slip Differential) action so if one of the tires pops into the air or begins to spin from lack of traction, the opposite tire will now get power to pull you along.

Earlier Tacomas had open differentials only, so once a tire looses traction, only it will have power and spin, uselessly. That is why we loved the LOCKING REAR DIFFERENTIAL... That insured at least both rear tires got power, even if one of them lost traction or was in the air.

Maximum traction is 4L, A-TRAC and LOCKING RR DIFF. all working for you. This is for slow speed and to get out of the tough situation. Turn off the locker when you don't need it. A-TRAC will take care of you!

For those of you new to four wheeling your new Taco, most of your four wheeling will be in H4. This allows higher speed and fun in snow, sand, mud. H4 is shift on the fly (from H2) and is automatically in TRAC (LSD) for front and rear limited slip traction.

If you are in 2WD Taco (H2) and you become stuck (rear tires won't get you out) a quick push of the VSC OFF button turns on AUTO LSD for LSD braking action without regulating engine output. Those of us with 4X4 Tacos can just go into H4 for a better way out, but AUTO LSD is available in H2!

If you want to spin donuts (H4 or H2) and goof off, hold the VSC-OFF button for 5 seconds while stopped, and the '09/ '10 Taco will be just like the earlier ones with open differentials. Touch the button again or re-start your truck and TRAC + VSC is reactivated.

Have fun... I sure am!

20. Jan 15, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Remember, with open differentials and an engaged Transfer Case (old style 4WD, pre-'09 TRDs) power will go to at least ONE tire in front and ONE in the rear... and they are the ones that are the easiest to spin (ie. the worst tire to get power four wheeling)!

Add the Locking Rear Diff. and we go from one in the front and one in the rear to 3 wheels with power, and at least one in the rear will have traction.

Now, with TRAC in H4 (and A-TRAC in L4) the tires in the front and rear WITH traction will NOW get power, and not just the tires without traction!

Products Discussed in

To Top