1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remote lock beeper

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MickUpi, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Oct 8, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    MickUpi

MickUpi [OP] Member

Member:
    I have read in other posts that some owners dislike the beep when the remote lock button is pressed. I like it but my 05 does not have the function, so I decided it was time for another mod. This mod will take you about an hour to complete. You will need two 1 amp diodes Radio Shack # 276-1141, a 12 volt beeper or chirp device of your choice, and 8 feet of good quality stranded wire. A note about diodes, most any 1 amp diode will work. This mod has been tested on my truck and works very well.
    The first step is to remove the drivers side door panel. It is very easy. See this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9pHl9Co_38
    The voltage pulse to sound your chirp or beeper device comes from the two lock solenoids. One unlocks the doors and the other locks the doors. Two connections are made. The diodes go on blue and blue/red wires. The other ends of the diodes are twisted together and go to wire that will go out to the engine compartment and connect to the + side of your beeper. Notice the band on the ends of the diodes. The band must be on the end going to the stranded wire going through the door jamb. The harness contains 5 wires. The only two you will need is the solid blue and the blue with red stripe. These two wires are bigger than the other three.
    [​IMG]
    This image shows the door panel and wiring harness.
    [​IMG]
    This picture shows the two diodes wired to the two wires before taping. As mentioned earlier one end of the diodes is soldered to the blue and blue/red wires. The other end is soldered to my white wire going out to the engine compartment and attaching to the + side of my chirp device. The diodes are check valves preventing voltage from going to the other solenoid. Again, be sure to place the diodes so that the band is on the end going to your newly added wire.
    [​IMG]
    Route the wire behind the mounting bracket and behind the speaker to prevent it from getting in the way of the window.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the hardest part of the mod, and that is getting the wire through the door jamb and up under the dash and out to the engine compartment. Drill two holes at these locations to prevent the wire from getting pinched by the door hinge. Remove the side panel by removing the thumb screw at the far left. You will see the hole you drilled on the right side of the picture. Seal the two holes with your choice of caulking. Never own anything you are not willing to drill a hole in.
    [​IMG]
    This is the easiest way to get a wire from the engine compartment and make it come out under the dash. Push a stiff wire through the boot on the angle shown here and it will come out under the dash.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top