1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaking front differential

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Databox, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Oct 23, 2013 at 6:12 AM
    Databox

Databox [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fernandina Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport SR5
    Rims and Tires
    So when I was changing my oil, I noticed one of the CV boots on the passenger side was torn. Then I saw on the driver side gear oil has been leaking out, where the CV axle goes into the differential on the drivers side.

I've replaced CV joints on other vehicles before, so I was thinking of taking this on. So I searched the forum and found some great write-ups (it never fails...that's why I love this site). But I still have some questions.

If I am going to go to the trouble to pull out the CV axles should I go ahead and have the wheel bearings replaced? Truck has about 115,000 miles on it. Seems like fixing bearing issues is what gets a lot of people started on this job.

Also, would it also be wise, since it would be this disassembled and it has this many miles, to consider replacing other front end components like ball joints and tie-rod ends? Or if it's not broke don't fix it? I just know it's at about this amount of milage these things begin to fail.

Just looking for some collective wisdom.

here's a pic of the oil leak

[​IMG]

2. Oct 23, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    bellassaiw10

bellassaiw10 Formally afroman5015

Member:
    Currituck NC
    Vehicle:
    09 LMM 2500HD Duramax
    If you've got the money to do it all the. Go ahead can't hurt anything, as for the leak I don't know about 2nd gens but on 1st gens there's a seal inside that's supposed to get replaced every time you remove the cv axle also it doesn't look seated all the way against the diff

3. Oct 24, 2013 at 6:51 AM
    Databox

Databox [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fernandina Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport SR5
    Rims and Tires
    Yeah, I started to tally up all the cost. Even doing all the labor it's expensive.

I'll probably only fix the broke things right now.

Products Discussed in

To Top