1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY Fender Repair

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Peelzy, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Oct 28, 2013 at 2:39 PM
    Peelzy

Peelzy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4wd, 05 Tacoma TRD 2wd
    My wife and I recently acquired this an 05 Tacoma TRD from her ex-husband who owed her money (not to get into details). Since he had it he crashed the front and didn't repair it. We'd like to make repairs and put it up for sale but the estimates we are getting are more than we'd like to pay.

I've gotten two estimates of $1300+ and $1700. Two questions:

1- Are these estimates fair based on what you may see in the photos of the damage?

2- Would it be easier/smarter to do it myself?

I don't have much experience repairing autos but I am good with my hands and I have the tools.

Thanks ahead of time for the help

-Peelzy

untitled-1099.jpg
    untitled-1100.jpg
    untitled-1101.jpg
    untitled-1102.jpg

2. Oct 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    There's a bit of damage. To me, it looks like you'll need at least a bumper cover, fender flair, fender (if you can't straighten out what's there). The head light is twisted a bit too, so the mount is probably bent too. Also paint & clear coat. I think those estimates are pretty fair for a body shop. If you want to do it yourself, look at salvage yards as you may get luck and find the same color donor.

3. Oct 28, 2013 at 3:16 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    If you need it to look perfect, you will need to go with a body shop. You can replace the bumper, fender, and that piece below the headlight fairly easily. If you go that route, you can have somebody paint all the pieces for you and save some money. It looks like those parts can be replaced without additional bodywork. You can save a ton of cash if you paint it yourself, but it will not look professional. I paint my stuff myself, but it never looks perfect. I don't worry about it since it gets scratched up again on the trail, but if you plan to sell the truck that's a different story.

Those replacement parts are cheap. I just got a new fender for $68. A friend got an $800 quote for a bumper from a body shop. Instead he purchased a new bumper for $150, spent $50 on paint, and soon after sold his car. So in a nutshell, I would try and see what it costs just to get the parts painted if you purchased them separately.

Products Discussed in

To Top