1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Buy Backup Camera Install Fail

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by ibuprofelin, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Nov 5, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    ibuprofelin

ibuprofelin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey all,

Since I'm a med student and don't have much time to do many things, I figured I would save myself the hassle and spend the money to have BB install my new backup camera in my 2013 Corolla. Turns out that was a mistake, go figure :rofl:

My wife brought it in for me while I was in class, and when I got home to check it out, I quickly realized it was installed in the wrong spot, causing the camera to be angled almost completely downward. Totally useless as it sits.

The installer also put a nice deep scratch in the trunk where the camera was installed. Gave BB a call and they're going to replace the chrome lip (necessary unless I want a 3/4 hole in the center of it), and hopefully pay to fix the nice new scratch I have.

Image my horror when I tossed it in reverse and saw this :O

photo.jpg

2. Nov 5, 2013 at 6:11 PM
    alwaysfaded

alwaysfaded Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So. Cal.
    Vehicle:
    08 Black taco, 5 spd.
    blacked out tint, k&n drop in, removed secondary filter, kenwood 7" touchscreen, 12" memphis audio sub, 1000 watt amp, Alpine type R conponets
    Dam, that's messed up! Freaking BB, I don't trust em.

3. Nov 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM
    ibuprofelin

ibuprofelin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pretty bad for sure! And honestly, the job was pretty easy. Literally all the guy had to do was drill a hole in the chrome lip, run the wire through the car, and plug it in. Definitely could've (read, should've!) done it myself, but I have 4 exams in the next 3 weeks and don't have time to toy around with it. As my mechanic friend constantly reminds me, simple jobs don't always end up simple, haha.

I hunted for a company that made a plug and play back-up camera, since the only OEM one for the 13 corolla was one for the rear view mirror and I didn't want that. I'm really annoyed of where the guy installed the thing, it's dead center of the car and the place he mounted it is like a 45 degree angle, so the camera essentially points straight down. What's scarier to me, though, is how many people are driving around with camera's installed by him and don't know any better. My wife didn't realize it was installed wrong... I'm sure plenty of people don't know any better. Super unsafe!

I think what's most annoying is now I have to wait for them to reimbursement to order a new part, have that come in, and then have the thing reinstalled again. And fix the scratch in the trunk. I wouldn't care about it otherwise, but I'm pissed they did such a bad job.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top