1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noisy Door Seals

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ctraut5, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Nov 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    ctraut5

ctraut5 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '14 4Runner Trail Premium
    INTERIOR: Flag, Weathertech Mats, Steelie Phone Mount, LED Interior Lights. EXTERIOR: LED Tag, Reverse, and Approach Lights, Painted Front and Rear Trail Trim Black, Cargo Basket. SUSPENSION: Bilstein 5100 Front and Rear Shocks, Front 1.75" and rear has 1" cornfed spacers. TIRES: BFG KO2 275/70/17 Wheels: Method NV
    I have a 2013 DCSB and I have this constant sticky/chattering sound from the upper corner of the front doors. I can stick my finger between the seal and the door when driving and it stops. I have researched numerous threads concerning similar issues and I have tried everything I can think of and it won't stop. I love my truck, but this is driving me nuts. Here's what I've tried so far.
    -Lubed door seals with silicone
    -Cleaned and waxed painted areas that seal contacts
    -Tried felt with sticky back in various places
    As far as I can tell the striker plate on these trucks is not adjustable so there is no way to adjust the door to shut tighter. I'm usually pretty sucessful with finding and stoping noises, but this has me stumped. Please tell me somebody has a good fix for this.

2. Nov 2, 2013 at 9:48 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Been fighting with the dealer for about a year now and still they can't fix it. They adjusted the door, replaced the seal, tried wax, etc... nothing.

What worked for me, cut a very small slit on the side of the door, then slide in drip line through out the upper part of the door seal. I used about a 3ft piece of drip line. I adjusted the striker a bit after this and the noise is 95% gone. I still can hear it just a bit here and there but it is a hell of a lot better.

3. Nov 2, 2013 at 9:53 AM
    ctraut5

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    INTERIOR: Flag, Weathertech Mats, Steelie Phone Mount, LED Interior Lights. EXTERIOR: LED Tag, Reverse, and Approach Lights, Painted Front and Rear Trail Trim Black, Cargo Basket. SUSPENSION: Bilstein 5100 Front and Rear Shocks, Front 1.75" and rear has 1" cornfed spacers. TIRES: BFG KO2 275/70/17 Wheels: Method NV
    Thanks for the tip. It seems as though the strikers on at least the '13's are not adjustable. I've adjusted doors on many other cars, but there is no way for these to move. They are fixed in one position.

4. Nov 2, 2013 at 10:52 AM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    Vaseline. Thin film applied to the surfaces of both seals (door and cab) quieted it down for me.

5. Nov 2, 2013 at 11:04 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Mine were getting pretty noisy on rough roads - wiping them down with armorall helped a lot.

6. Nov 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM
    PBR Streetgang

PBR Streetgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Medford, OR
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC 4x4 TRD
    Icon stage 4 kit, Deaver J66 leaf springs, Firestone ride-rite airbags, Warn 9.5 XPS winch
    Can you give us a picture of this when you get a chance? I've got the same problem. Top rear corner of drivers side door, cleaning it off helps a little but even a little bit of dirt between the seal and the cab seems to trigger it.

7. Nov 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    ctraut5

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    A pic would be great. This sounds promising. Like I said in my op...all of my seals have been wiped with silicone lube, and the painted surfaces are clean and waxed. The noise still seems about the same even after doing this. Maybe I should try some Amor All or Aero 303 like others have suggested.

8. Nov 2, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    toyo8696

toyo8696 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumming,GA
    Vehicle:
    4X4 Sport DCSB, 2008 4R V8 AWD
    This is my only problem/complaint with my truck. The noise is right by my ear and drives me freakin nuts. I can also hear the pass door seal as well. I have tried everything that I know of and they will not stop. Honda and BMW make a special lubricant for this exact reason. I had some of the BMW stuff from my M3 convertible. It did not even help, I went and bought the Honda product and it didn't help either. I guess I will try the plastic line and see what happens.
    I can make mine stop by tapping the window down switch just a hair.
    It's good to read that I am not the only one that is having this issue. I try something different about once a week it bugs me so bad. If I find a fix I will post it.

9. Nov 2, 2013 at 7:34 PM
    ctraut5

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    I know the feeling. I've been working on this for a couple of weeks straight now. I put felt in an area and then remove it when it doesnt work. I tried something tonight that was somewhat similar to what Aw9d suggested above. I went for a drive and my doors seemed silent. I'll test it tomorrow on my way to work and let you guys know.

10. Nov 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Irrigation drip line?

That's a great idea. Should be more durable than using rope as some have suggested for tightening up the hood seal.

11. Nov 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    There really isn't much to see but I went and snapped a pic. What I did is find this tiny hole, or any of them, take a pair of small needle nose or something you can use to expand the hole (the first time I did this I cut a small slit. The second time I just expanded the hole).

b6cb49d1-d3a8-4076-9c36-bc48c473d438_zps_e6e3f6e8968149e5fd7eb3a438a8fcabc248c6b5.jpg

Expand the hole.
    Put some lube on the drip line. ;)
    And just start feeding it into the door seal. Once you get the line in there you can remove the needle nose and then just slowly force it up in there. From the feeling of it you could run 2 sets of drip line and I think it would work as well. I'm going to try and pull it out and run it through the entire door seal and see if that fully fixes it.

I used about 2 feet or so and just feed it up and over the curve of the entire window.

And yes I used irrigation drip line to fix this. Also I've used this method on a hood seal as well and it seemed to help a bit.

Sorry for the shitty pic, couldn't get it to snap right in the parking garage at work.. I'll try again at home to update it.

12. Nov 6, 2013 at 6:58 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Any help for road noise, or just the rattle/squeak?

13. Nov 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    Subbed, the only thing I am not happy with while driving my truck.

14. Nov 6, 2013 at 7:59 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    My entire truck is fully covered in rammat and insolite. It's really quiet already so I can't say if it helps with road noise. I just hate the squeak noise it makes. It's worse when it's cold.

15. Apr 5, 2014 at 8:33 PM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I never had this problem with my 2011 tacoma. I had to sell it cuz my wife had to take a year off of work to take care of our twins.

Now with my 13 ive had the window runners and door seals replaced by the dealer. Also they gave me silicone lube for the seals. None of this has worked. The dealer is still wanting to work with me on this issue, they did admit that toyota is now using non rubber seals on these trucks because of the high price of rubber. Synthetic rubber does not work.

I might have to try dripline.

16. Apr 5, 2014 at 8:51 PM
    Chakraj

Chakraj Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD SPORT v6 auto 4x4
    Badgers, I don't need no stinking Badgers.
    I went to the hardware store and got 30 feet of the small clear soft tubing, I aam not sure what the actual use is for it. Got it soapy then pushed it through the small holes in the door seal, basically fluffing up the seal from inside. I had to use about six feet sections because it would bind and I couldn't push anymore.

I did both front doors I did it to stop the high pitched whine in strong cross winds on the free way, also to help seal the doors for water crossings. Seems to be working so far.

17. Apr 5, 2014 at 8:55 PM
    AR15xAR10

AR15xAR10 AR10 is 5 ARs better

Member:
    Triangle of 26726, 21532, 21502
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 V6 IndigoInkPearl ACLBFTMFW
    Please refer to build (click signature picture)
    My father is the same way; always chasing little squeeks and other noises. I know where my normal rattles/noises are and after i make sure that is all i hear, i turn the radio up to about 35-40 and i can't hear any of them :headbang:

Best of luck:)

hope it doesn't make you hate your truck :(

18. Apr 5, 2014 at 9:06 PM
    BlackTacoma13

BlackTacoma13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Destin, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 black 4x4 sport double cab
    having the same issue in my 13, can anyone confirm that the drip line works? if so where can i pick some of this up?

19. Apr 5, 2014 at 9:56 PM
    BnbBlitz

BnbBlitz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    over the rainbow
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB 4WD
    303 aerospace on the door seals. Multipurpose UV protectant used on boat interiors. Fixed my problem. I use it on everything including the dash and leaves a clean matte shine

20. Apr 6, 2014 at 9:38 AM
    ctraut5

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    I tried the drip line, and it worked on my truck for a couple of months. It fixed about 90% of the problem. After a couple of months the noise is back. I use a combination of silicon to lube the seals, wax on the painted surfaces, and the drip line. My driver door is the worst, and I'm not sure what to do with it at this point.

Products Discussed in

To Top