1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake rotor size problem '04

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by cajunboi, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Jul 15, 2009 at 8:40 AM
    cajunboi

cajunboi [OP] Member

Member:
    First let me apologize for double posting. New to forum and posted first in technical forum but thought might get more info here.

Okay so here is the scenario. Awhile back I was doing a brake job and at the time I hadnt really taken the dive into modding my Tacoma. I went to the local autoparts store (Advanced Auto Parts) and picked up everything I needed.

When I took everything apart it was going really quick. I barely finished half my first beer by the time I was ready to reassemble the driver's side. Except when I went to put the caliper back I noticed that I couldnt get it on correctly and the bolts werent lining up. I scratched my head then pulled the rotor off and lined it up on top of the original. Sure enough, the ones I got were just a few mm larger in diameter.

I checked a couple other places around town and found the same oversized rotors. I eventually just had to have the originals turned down. Of course that was 6 months ago and the brakes are beating the heck out of me now. I just didnt have the time to wait at that point.

Has anyone encountered the same problem and can you tell me what size I need exactly? I went to autoanything.com and looked at rotors but for an '04 they just have one size rotor. I dont want to end up in the same situation as before.

Also, any recommendations on the 'best bang for the buck' rotors and brake pads I am all ears.

Thanks

2. Jul 15, 2009 at 1:43 PM
    tnt136913

tnt136913 Member

Member:
    the 04 has differnt size then the other gen 1 tacomas talk to these guys

3. Jul 15, 2009 at 1:48 PM
    cajunboi

cajunboi [OP] Member

Member:

Thanks for the reply. According to the site it looks like Tacomas with the VSC option use the larger rotors. Seeing as how the replacements I got were too big, I guess that means all the shops around me only carry the rotors for '04's with VSC. Does that mean if ordering online that if it doesnt specify VSC rotors it will work on my truck?

What does VSC mean anyways?

THanks

4. Jul 15, 2009 at 1:50 PM
    cajunboi

cajunboi [OP] Member

Member:
    Also, what are the advantages of slotted, drilled, or slotted/drilled?

Thanks

5. Jul 15, 2009 at 1:57 PM
    tnt136913

tnt136913 Member

Member:
    you have the gen 1 rotors , just order 03 year ,

6. Mar 4, 2022 at 2:25 PM
    lcop217

lcop217 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    Vehicle:
    2002 taco
    frame welding
    there are two sizes vsc is vehicle skid control there larger the smaller ones are without vsc i think 319mm are bigger and 297mm are smaller ones. hope this helps

Products Discussed in

To Top