1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Retractable Tonneau???

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Bingo Sam, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Nov 7, 2013 at 3:20 PM
    Bingo Sam

Bingo Sam [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pyrite Mica V6 LB DC TSS 4X4 SR5
    Textured Black Aries Bull Bar, WeatherTech Digital Fit Mats, WeatherTech Bug Deflector
    Looking for the most waterproof, most secure retractable tonneau. Some options include Roll-N-Lock, Pace Edwards, and Retrax. I like that the Roll-N-Lock covers auto lock the tailgate, but am not opposed to getting a brand that lacks this feature and adding an independent tailgate lock such as the Pop and Lock. My biggest concerns are waterproofing, security and quality. I love the look of the retractable covers, and would definitely like to stick with these types of tonneaus only. Any opinions from first-hand experience out there? If this has already been discussed please help me link to the thread. Thanks!

2. Nov 7, 2013 at 3:44 PM
    xmadcowx

xmadcowx Old man club. Sold out to Ford.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    19 Raptor/21 Bronco. 12 OR sold. 05 xrunner sold.
    Functional
    I had a roll n lock for 7 years, the thing was great. Only complaint was the space the canister took up in the bed. I recently bought a roll-x from bak. Much better solution for me.

3. Nov 7, 2013 at 7:41 PM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!
    I had a Pace Edwards. I liked the look, but it leaked pretty much. I replaced it with a Extang Full Tilt. Not as pretty, but pretty water tight and it does not consume a lot of space.

4. Nov 8, 2013 at 6:39 AM
    Schnoll

Schnoll Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tacoma Double Cab SR5
    I'm in the market for my '13 DC....been leaning towards Truck Covers USA, but haven't bought anything yet

5. Nov 8, 2013 at 6:54 AM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    I researched intensely before settling on the retrax pro. it is outstanding. rolls easily, lockable, lifetime warranty, usa-made, can be locked in ANY position, does not have that silly strap to close it unlike many retractables, and is beautiful to boot with a paint finish superior to the tacomas. it does leak very slightly only when I wash it with the pressurized wand at the carwash, though I believe there were no retractables that were fully waterproof. it is pricey, though the regular retrax is less so. hope this helps.

http://www.retrax.com/products/retraxpro/

6. Nov 8, 2013 at 7:37 AM
    NEAScott

NEAScott Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2014 Chevrolet Impala Limited
    Let's tackle the big gorilla first .. waterproof. There is NO cover on the market that guarantees waterproof in any way. All covers leak to some extent, its normal.

The retractable covers all use a side gutter system that channels to the canister and drains by way of a tube. You will have to drill the bed floor on the Tacoma to run the tube out.

Yes, the Roll-n-Lock is a great cover. It beats all others in security, but only if you use the lock channel on the tailgate. This requires you to drill holes in your tailgate to secure it. Leave off the lock channel and the cover is equal in security.

Retracting cover chart

7. Nov 8, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    livelifetolive

livelifetolive Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SOBERDAVE
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2009 4dr Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    I have a roll n lock. Honestly, I got lucky. I found it on craigslist for 500 dollars and it was the automatic with remote one. It does leak, but have come to find out they all pretty much leak. I have all my important stuff in the bed in waterproof containers. Now, be careful. If you decide on the automatic one, buy new. The old ones, if the motor was't replaced was originally to powerful for the gears. It would eventually strip the gears and wouldn't work anymore. Replacing the motor was close to 300 hundred dollars. I got mine linex'd(The top part) and so far I love it. But I'm biased. Good Luck.

8. Nov 20, 2013 at 11:32 PM
    baurat88

baurat88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport JBL NAV
    TRD skid, BAMF light bar, 20in double row LED bar
    So I'm a new taco owner. Just picked up my brand new '14 DC LB last sunday with 6 miles on it. So excited to get a cover for the bed. I was leaning towards the retrax, but then thought about losing the functionality of the factory rail system. Is this true? and is there any retractable cover out there that will still allow me to use the factory rail and the attachments points?

9. Nov 21, 2013 at 8:57 AM
    2013TacoLTD

2013TacoLTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Mckinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Limited V6 4X2
    Radio On Mod, Complete new stereo with 10" subs, Truxedo bed cover, GT-MAT through doors and rear cab.
  10. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:32 PM
    sect0r

sect0r Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Sport
    King Mid Travel, BAMF w/ 12" King's, ect
    Bakflip f1 IMO e8aqyby2_7e16a0591c2b61d02a972e625a4959c4a3e34295.jpg4y7uga4a_0174fea9784d6b4457dbb03aee46fc5f254fb3a3.jpg

It flips up out of the way and looks great on the truck. I scored mine for $680 off of Amazon.

Products Discussed in

To Top