1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Back way to Crown King.. almost

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by Dunkoma, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Nov 10, 2013 at 11:20 PM
    Dunkoma

Dunkoma [OP] <3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Custom Avid Sliders, AFE Intake, Painted Magnaflow Exhaust, Debadge/Plastidip badges, Icon Extended Travel C/O + 2" Rear Shocks, Icon AAL, Sway Bar Delete, Bar caddy console organizer
    This weekend my buddy wanted to take his Xterra out and I wanted to go wheeling up north. I convinced my wife to go camping up near Horsetheif basin by Crown King for my birthday weekend.

[​IMG]

Long story short - the weather was perfect, the gear was packed, we found the start of the trail for the CK photo op, and the radiator starting overheating for my buddy's ride.

We took a 6sh mile ride up the start of the trail to at least check it out, but went back shortly after his engine cooled down. The fan was unfunctional.

I think I saw some people are going up soon, maybe I'll join. Definitely want to see what the rest of this has to offer. I know it was only the start but the trail seemed in good condition. The really tricky spots had smooth bypasses if you chose, I found a few spots where I was able to push my truck although the camping gear was a lot of weight for anything too heavy duty. There were quite a few quads and trucks, jeeps and tacos. Found one that seemed to have their tire rod or something broken and they had gone for parts.

Anyway I was hoping I would have pictures from the various parts of the trail to show the condition but oh well. I was worried before going up there that it would be tough to figure out which way to go - it seemed pretty straight forward. There really only seemed to be one main trail and like I said a decent amount of people were traveling down and up it on Saturday. I could see why they say 4x4 but I have a feeling a truck with a descent lift and 2WD would be fine. Everyone still talked about the big rock stair at the end but i'm sure it could always be built up.

Until Next Time

[​IMG]
    alright lets get ready to go!
    [​IMG]
    NVM
    [​IMG]
    Went off with Meg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The taco we found
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Corny - but the view up there is epic
    [​IMG]

A little lovin' for my rear bumper

http://youtu.be/t6MjypBjFTU

Ending the night, still got to grill outside and test out the headlamp..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  2. Nov 11, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    Brian007Taco

Brian007Taco 007Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    If you ask. You don't know me very well!
    Mesa, AZ to NM to OK to UT back to Mesa
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red TRD OR 4x4 DCSB (aka Clifford the Big Red Truck)
    12 OR DCSB 4x4 265/75/16 Goodyear Ultra Terrain wrapped on MB352's. OME 886's w/5100's front and back, and Dakars. Derped Emblems. KM Fab sliders, Mobtown Front and back bumpers w/tire gate, KM Fab Bed Rack, Bestop Supertop, Matt Gecko bed lights. Tree Smashed Taco 06 OR AC Prerunner! OME 885 with 5100's in front, TSB and AAL with 5125's in back. 30" light bar in the valance.
    From what I remember as a kid, It's really nice up at the top. Too bad about the Xterra though.

3. Nov 11, 2013 at 12:17 PM
    Dunkoma

Dunkoma [OP] <3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Custom Avid Sliders, AFE Intake, Painted Magnaflow Exhaust, Debadge/Plastidip badges, Icon Extended Travel C/O + 2" Rear Shocks, Icon AAL, Sway Bar Delete, Bar caddy console organizer
    Ya.. sounds like it would have been so awesome :( might take another shot at it this weekend and just run the trail depending on what the shop says. I think there was just an electrical disconnection somewhere, it's in right now so we'll see.

I'll post again if we head out there again this Sunday - anyone would be welcome to join.

4. Nov 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM
    Brian007Taco

Brian007Taco 007Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    If you ask. You don't know me very well!
    Mesa, AZ to NM to OK to UT back to Mesa
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red TRD OR 4x4 DCSB (aka Clifford the Big Red Truck)
    12 OR DCSB 4x4 265/75/16 Goodyear Ultra Terrain wrapped on MB352's. OME 886's w/5100's front and back, and Dakars. Derped Emblems. KM Fab sliders, Mobtown Front and back bumpers w/tire gate, KM Fab Bed Rack, Bestop Supertop, Matt Gecko bed lights. Tree Smashed Taco 06 OR AC Prerunner! OME 885 with 5100's in front, TSB and AAL with 5125's in back. 30" light bar in the valance.
    I would, but not sure how friendly the trail is to Prerunners.

5. Nov 11, 2013 at 2:46 PM
    Dunkoma

Dunkoma [OP] <3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    I didn't get far enough to confirm the friendliness although the deeper I got the worse the trail got with less bypasses. I bet you'd be OK if you had someone to get you through the tough spots - but who knows.

The Xterra just got fixed - if we don't trek up to CK again I'll probably be somewhere local this weekend to wheel.

6. Nov 11, 2013 at 8:38 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    When my whip is back up and running, this is a run I've been wanting to get checked off the list for sure.

7. Nov 11, 2013 at 8:46 PM
    Dunkoma

Dunkoma [OP] <3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4

Do it!

:thumbsup:

Hey there - still haven't met you or said rig, when are you back in action?

8. Nov 11, 2013 at 8:47 PM
    OldV12

OldV12 TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodrigo
    Glendale, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Silverstreak TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    Stock for now :)
    I've been to CK before. Just followed the main trail to CK town and a little bit of the 30 mile trail to Prescott. I'll join you if you want. I was planning of going on Saturday evening and camping there then have fun and do stuff on Sunday. But if you want to do Sunday that works for me too

9. Nov 11, 2013 at 8:51 PM
    Dunkoma

Dunkoma [OP] <3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Nice. Ya If I went this weekend it would probably only be a day trip on Sunday just so I could drive up the trail and check out the saloon then take the I17 back. You can get up the back way stock?

10. Nov 11, 2013 at 8:53 PM
    OldV12

OldV12 TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodrigo
    Glendale, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Yeah its not bad.

11. Nov 11, 2013 at 9:02 PM
    Dunkoma

Dunkoma [OP] <3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
  12. Nov 11, 2013 at 9:06 PM
    OldV12

OldV12 TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodrigo
    Glendale, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    I've taken that one too like once. Then I found out you can take I 17 past black canyon city and 5 miles after it there's and exit saying crown king road/bumble bee. That way takes less time to get to the crown king town.

13. Nov 11, 2013 at 9:11 PM
    Dunkoma

Dunkoma [OP] <3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Yup that's the way I'd want to come back. I've been wanting to do the whole loop though. I started going up the trail that I posted and we had to turn around so I wanna finish it - seemed fun (think it takes about 4 hours).

14. Nov 11, 2013 at 9:12 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Hopefully in the next two weeks or less... depends when I get me parts and working around, well, work. Then of course, 500mi break in period before wheel'n.

I'm surprised you haven't seen me... I'm off Ray and I-10 these days lol.

15. Nov 11, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    OldV12

OldV12 TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodrigo
    Glendale, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    I'm down for that

16. Nov 11, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    Dunkoma

Dunkoma [OP] <3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Hmm I'll keep my eyes out. I'm Chandler and I-10. I bet I will now - thats how these things work. Keep me posted

17. Nov 11, 2013 at 9:15 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yea man, I've had it at Rudy's quite a bit lol... and I'm always driving around this area going places. Right now obviously not but, yea.

18. Nov 11, 2013 at 9:26 PM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    nice report Dunk. I have not been to CK in many years and never the tough way. might be a nice overnight camping trip?

19. Nov 11, 2013 at 9:31 PM
    OldV12

OldV12 TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodrigo
    Glendale, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    That's what I had in mind

20. Nov 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    Dunkoma

Dunkoma [OP] <3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Sounds good - let me know if you guys have firm plans on going up to camp Sat night as I can meet up with you when I get into town on Sunday.

I'm still good to go wheel on Sunday afternoon if I get a couple people to join. I'll probably start a new thread.

Products Discussed in

To Top