1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

alternate power source or trigger for superchargers intercooler pump.

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Justus, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Nov 14, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    Justus

Justus [OP] fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Just curious how some of ya have the connection for the TRD superchargers intercooler pump wired.

Right now (factory installed) the pump runs EVERYTIME the trucks evap/emissions check happens. Its roughly every 4 hours I think.

It may not be much, but its still a power draw, and its still a pump I'd rather not have running if its not needed.

I'll dive into the install manual later if I'm awake enough and see what the needs of the circuit are. I don't know if it's tapped into something, or what. I assume its connected to a relay and they used a t tap to a circuit that's hot while the key is on "run" as a trigger. But whatever they used must be hot while the emissions deal runs every 4hrs even with no keys in the truck.

2. Nov 14, 2013 at 12:35 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'm admittedly not familiar with the supercharged electronics but, based on your description, if you don't want that pump running whenever the evap system cycles, you could install a relay into the S/C wiring. Tap the evap system wiring, run that to pin 30, outgoing power to your pump comes from pin 87 (so the power supply will be the same), but then take a circuit that's only hot when the ignition is 'on' and wire it to pin85 and ground 86. That way, the evap system will still cycle as it always does but your pump will only get power when that's cycling AND the ignition is 'on'.

3. Nov 15, 2013 at 7:24 AM
    KingKoda

KingKoda Never Satisfied

Member:
    Palmetto
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD.S DCSB 4x4
    Boosted TRD/URD All Terrain Sleeper w/ Sockmonkey Decals Worth +666HP
    I was looking into the same thing OP. I've just accepted it. There are some safety ramifications to consider. I was under the impression that the S/C coolant pumps were tired into the positive power of the fuel system, and that when the fuel system check ran, even when the truck was off, that it triggered the S/C coolant pumps to run.

The logic was that, if the the coolant pumps were tied into the power of another system and that system failed, but the fuel system and truck were still running, the S/C would be in trouble. If the fuel pump fuses failed, well, the truck would stall out and severe damage would be avoided to the critical systems as nothing would be running. This is all dependent on my thoughts that the S/C positive was wired into the fuel pump fuse. I may be wrong, and it could be the evap. system as you mention.

[​IMG]

Also, got me to thinking that, is it so bad that the coolant pumps circulate after the fact? I mean, the S/C generates a lot of heat and circulating that coolant after the truck has sit for awhile wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing I suppose to help dissipate soaked heat. But that might be a mull point.

Anyway, I had looked into it as well and decided to let it be. The power draw is minimal and unless you let it sit without running the alternator/exercising the battery/battery not end of life/ for a week or even much more it should be fine. It just reminds me that my truck is "alive", or snoring.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    NYCO likes this.
  4. Nov 15, 2013 at 1:36 PM
    Justus

Justus [OP] fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    "Snoring" I like that! :cheers:

Sleeping giant indeed.

Maybe I'll leave it be as well

5. May 9, 2016 at 12:08 PM
    RyanL

RyanL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Pro, supercharged, BP-51s, etc
    Thanks for the post on this. I was puzzled when I heard my pump running 5 hours after parking the truck, but I guess it's nothing to worry about.

Products Discussed in

To Top