1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Purchased last week...Dealership calls me today and says...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ClayCrusher, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Oct 25, 2013 at 3:59 PM
    Canazes9

Canazes9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 Dbl Cab TRD Sport / '12 Dbl Cab Offroad
    Last one from me on the subject. OP is in Annapolis, here is some information specific to him:

http://marylandconsumerlawblog.blogspot.com/

...But wait -- didn't you already have a deal? Not so, says the dealer -- they changed their mind. Well, do you think that you, the consumer, could change your mind? Do you think you could just call them up and say: "I think I paid too much for this car, so either you will have to give me $1,000 back, or else I am bringing the car in and unwinding the deal." Well, faster than you can say "Yo-Yo Sale" they would remind you that right on the face of the contract it says that there is NO COOLING OFF PERIOD.

Check your paperwork. If you signed a spot delivery document, you should report it to the Maryland MVA and to the Consumer Protection Division of the Maryland Attorney General's Office. And if you are being harassed by a dealer to bring the car back, contact the MVA immediately and consider seeking legal advice. Why? Because since at least 1980, the Maryland MVA has been telling its car dealers not to use these so-called "agreements." Here is what the MVA said in their March 10, 2005 Dealer Bulletin No. D 03-05-01:

"Temporary registration permits, or certificates and plates, may not be used by dealers in cases where vehicles are released to potential purchasers prior to consummation of a vehicle sales transaction. These types of transactions are commonly referred to in the industry as "Spot Delivery," "Fronting" "Macarthur Statement," etc....

...Bottom line: if the dealer gave you temp tags and you drove the car off the lot, there was a bona fide sale, and according to the MVA, they can't now say otherwise...

...If you have been a victim of a Yo-Yo scam, file a complaint with the Maryland MVA and with the Maryland Attorney General's Office. Also consider filing with the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau. Here is how:

Maryland Attorney General Consumer Protection Division Complaint Form

MVA Complaint Form Against Car Dealer

File a formal complaint with the FTC

Better Business Bureau Complaint

David

2. Oct 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    koldtaco

koldtaco New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner V6 TRD Sport
    Interesting post. I'm from PA but purchased a Tacoma from Koons in Easton Maryland in late September. The whole contract was ironed-out, but after two weeks had gone by, and I hadn't received my PA tag or registration, I called the dealership. The title person was very helpful, but in explaining the delay she added that Koons failed to collect enough PA tax, and they wanted my card information to charge me the difference. I told her that was the dealership's responsibility at the point of sale, I wouldn't be paying any more, and I would have to talk to the dealership manager if that wasn't going to work. She apologized and said something about it 'not being the first time she was asked to do it.' Koons might be a bit shady. Glad I canceled the GAP insurance.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  3. Oct 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    BytorTruck

BytorTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Scottsdale AZ
    ha ha I would put the thing up on jack stands set the cruise control at a 100mph call the dealer ship and tell them you are dropping the truck off in 24 hours. 2400 miles later they get a used truck back.

4. Oct 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM
    dafloydboy

dafloydboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    M.L. Evans
    lancaster s.c.
    Vehicle:
    15' base access cab
    Are camper shell
    You have 72 hours to back out of the deal and I think they do to so if you hold out with the original deal they the dealer has to live by it. It's called a buyers remorse clause. I had the same thing happen to me but I just handed them the keys and said see ya.

5. Oct 25, 2013 at 5:00 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I have to admit, I laugh when I hear that name. Of all the dealerships that I defend, ANY dealership that was owned by Bill Heard ended up being bad ones. They were so bad that Chevrolet actually revoked their franchise licenses.

Funny thing on the buyer's remorse. If you check you will find that there is actually no such thing when it comes to auto purchases. According to Edmunds: "There is a federal cooling-off rule, which is primarily meant to protect consumers from high-pressure door-to-door sales tactics. It doesn't apply to automobiles. If you signed the sales contract, you own the car. And the law is on the side of the dealer."

Edmunds.com

6. Oct 25, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    DirtEater

DirtEater Well-Known Member

Member:
    Surprise, AZ
    That would cost you $600 in fuel and require lots of gas cans.

7. Oct 25, 2013 at 6:37 PM
    NorCalTRD

NorCalTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '06 Indigo Ink DCLB TRD Sport V6
    40% Front Tint, Viper 5704 Alarm, Steel Cable Dog Tie, Super Sexy Driver Mod
    Not really. If its on stands there is no resistance to the wheels and you could rack up the mileage pretty cheap if you were feeling a rage building inside you. :p

8. Oct 25, 2013 at 6:55 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Pretty sure that only applies to things that are sold door to door... where the pushy salesman can get you to buy something just to get rid of him.

Not when you go out looking to buy something. When you do out, you can leave.

9. Oct 25, 2013 at 7:20 PM
    AG87BlkLX

AG87BlkLX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Greenbrier, TN
    As many people as Bill Heard pissed off I'm surprised no said, "Ok, I'll bring it back." Then drive the vehicle right thru the showroom.

10. Nov 25, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    BruceDog

BruceDog Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Leather
    Saw this thread a while back before I was a member and wanted to comment.

When you sign the contract, there is ususally a provision stating that you agree to come back and resign if there were any problems or if financing is not approved.

I got a call from a Concord, NH dealer a few days after I purchased my 2011 to come back in to resign some papers. I remembered reading that provision in the contract before I bought the truck and I feared the worst. But it turned out that the finance guy found out that I qualified for a lower interest rate than the one they gave me when I bought the truck. He forgot the special financing availble under the College Grad program. I think my rate went from 3.9% to 1.9%, and saved me $20-30 a month. I would have never realized this mistake if he had not called me.

During the process, we talked about having to call people whose financing was denied after the fact, and he told me that he felt awful on the times that he had to do it. I didn't get the sense that he would have ever done it purposefully.

While I don't doubt that there are dealerships out there who abuse this process, I don't think that in all cases it means you somehow got scammed.

11. Nov 25, 2013 at 1:52 PM
    FatTony415

FatTony415 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    '20 DCSB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Stock for now
    You have a signed contract with the dealership and you are both bound by its terms, unless there is some legal ground for rescission. The contract will likely specify that it can be rescinded if the financing falls through, but you should verify that is, in fact, what it says. You should also ask for written evidence that the bank actually refused to fund the loan. Rescission means that the parties revert to the position they were in before the transaction, i.e, the dealer gets its vehicle back and you get your money back - all of it. Unless the bank's refusal to fund the loan was based upon some misrepresentation on your part, it's the dealer's fault for letting you take the vehicle before the financing was formally approved. If they won't honor the current deal with you, tell them that you want your money back and will go elsewhere. Also, as a general piece of advice, join a credit union. They are actually still in the business of loaning money to consumers, at very good interest rates. Most banks just earn profits from fees and investments funded by cheap Fed money.

12. Nov 25, 2013 at 2:12 PM
    coolreed

coolreed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reed
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
    Goodyear Wrangler Dura Track Pro Tires, K&N Cold Air Intake, Pedal Commander.
    Before you ever buy another vehicle;

Know what you want.

Research what you want and how much everything costs.

Visit at least three dealerships and get an initial quate from each one.

Arrange your financing before you 'purchase' the vehicle at your bank.

Do not purchase an extended warranty. You can do that later, if needed.

Then go make them an offer for an Out the Door price.. Be ready to walk if they don't meet your price.

Go to the next dealership and make them an offer. Repeat until you are happy with the price. May take a week but you will save thousands.

13. Nov 25, 2013 at 3:29 PM
    gonathan85

gonathan85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4 SR5 V6 Tacoma
    Cosign until you've established a history of responsible payments.

Refinance on your own in a year or two if you wish.

14. Nov 25, 2013 at 4:47 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport

You also forgot -- Don't negotiate a monthly payment, negotiate the vehicle.

Any young/new auto buyers should do some research. Check out this dealer tactic....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_j5uzMTuNU

Products Discussed in

To Top