1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spare TPMS issues

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by NewRider, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Nov 18, 2013 at 7:41 PM
    NewRider

NewRider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Charlottesville , Va
    Vehicle:
    '87 4runner
    So I know there's people who've had this issue before but I can't seem to fix my problem....

Now that it's getting cold my TPMS light keeps comin on due to my spare staying cold..I've checked the pressure in all the tires every time it's happened and it's always the spare that's "low". It'll only be off by a few pounds due to it gettin cold and I'm not sure what to do about it.

I'd rather not over-inflate it for compensation just incase I ever need it, don't want it higher than it supposed to be.

Any suggestions other than just ignoring the light like I've been doin?

2. Nov 18, 2013 at 7:46 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    What year is your truck?

3. Nov 18, 2013 at 8:03 PM
    NewRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Charlottesville , Va
    Vehicle:
    '87 4runner
  4. Nov 18, 2013 at 8:08 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Seems strange that you keep getting the TPMS light popping up even if the spare is getting a little low ? They have batteries in the sensors and you have an 06 correct ?
    They say the batteries are only good for 5 years .
    My first guess would be you have a dead or dying battery . Dont chance it though
    I think its a simple fix but gonna cost ya .
    Find somebody that can assist you with the diagnostics of the TPMS system .

5. Nov 18, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    On my 06, that would happen to me.
    I dropped the spare, flipped it over to make getting to the valve easier when the colder weather triggered it.
    It only happened a couple of times in 5 yrs.
    If it happens a lot, maybe something is up with the sensor battery?
    Ooops someone above said the same thing.

6. Nov 18, 2013 at 8:11 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I've kept all my spares at the max PSI on the sidewall. It's easier to take air out of a tire than to put air in when you're in a pinch.

7. Nov 18, 2013 at 8:13 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Awesome idea flipping the spare !!!!

8. Nov 18, 2013 at 8:17 PM
    NewRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Charlottesville , Va
    Vehicle:
    '87 4runner
    Batteries are a good thought that I hadn't considered as this is my first vehicle with em..

I've already flipped my spare but thanks for that thought too Simon's Mom..

And Texoma... I've thought about this too but if the TPMS is working right, shouldn't it also detect the overly high pressure? Plus I don't really like this idea because I know I'd forget to drop the pressure if I ever need it.. Ya I know I'm being difficult there but still

9. Nov 18, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    TPMS only trip on low pressure, and you'll only be riding on the spare temporarily. Plus it's better for the tire to have more pressure than to not have enough. Nothing beats being on the side of the road with a flat spare, once is enough.

10. Nov 18, 2013 at 8:35 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    I live in Canada and let me tell ya , its flippin cold here . I have yet to check the pressure of my spare tire . My truck is a 2010 mind you .
    What I am trying to say is that living in a much colder climate , you would think that I would have to check my tires more often . Never had an issue with the TPMS when its very cold outside . I beleive the sensors have a few degrees variance . With that said , maybe you have a slow leak in the spare if it continues to drop in pressure . I still think from your explanation that you need to have the TPMS scanned . Sure sounds like a dying battery

11. Nov 18, 2013 at 8:40 PM
    whahahajr

whahahajr Lone Star Club

Member:
    First Name:
    jimbob
    New Braunfels, Tx
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD
    Camburg Uniball UCA, ARB Front Bumper, TAG rear bumper, OME rear shocks, All Pro 3" leaf springs
    Mine kept loosing air in the right front. Ended up I need to tighten the nut that holds the sensor in place.

12. Nov 18, 2013 at 8:52 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    It also triggers on greater than 10psi differential between any two tires, so 40 in the spare and 29 in a roller will trigger it.

Just blow them all up to 35 and call it good.
    The dealer probably reset the system at the 29/28 or whatever the door pillar says.
    Personally, I run 40+

13. Nov 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM
    Speedo

Speedo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dcsb 4x4
    Wrecked!
    I have o6 sport trd and all of mine except one have dead battery's I had them scanned at Americas tires and the dealer. Only did the dealer because my wife works there and it was free for her to have it checked.

14. Nov 26, 2013 at 1:03 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I've had the same problem when the temperature drops... the tires heat up causing the pressure to rise but the spare stays ice cold. What you'll need to do in the winter months is keep the spare a few pounds over the others to compensate for it. If you need the spare in an emergecy you'll be fine. The light triggers when there's a 25% difference between the sensors... which comes out to around 8 psi.

15. Nov 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    NewRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Charlottesville , Va
    Vehicle:
    '87 4runner
    Thanks for all the responses guys. For now thy seem to be holdin out. I used the el-chepo pump at sheetz the other day and set em all to ~32, or at least that's what that pump said if you trust it... For now the lights off and stayin so, we'll see how long it holds.

16. Nov 26, 2013 at 8:08 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    10psi
    Mine was dead nuts on 25psi in the low tire and 35 in the highest when I picked up a nail and it came on.

17. Nov 26, 2013 at 8:11 PM
    NewRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Charlottesville , Va
    Vehicle:
    '87 4runner
    Not to play devils advocate but w all know how computer systems (especially small ones that take a lot of wear) can be different on each truck, it wouldn't surprise me if yours was 10psi and his was.. 8 I believe...

18. Nov 26, 2013 at 8:21 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top