1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ever dropped a 4.2L Turbodiesel into a `98?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ADHDYota, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Nov 28, 2013 at 7:46 AM
    ADHDYota

ADHDYota [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    98Taco4x4
    Some Stuff :)
    Sooooo
    I have a 98 taco in great shape except a toyota mechanic at mayfield toyota cratered the motor. So now I have a paperweight.
    Everything else on it is great, but the motor had 540,000km on it (and still ran like new)..so I got it handed back to me.

I want a diesel in there... I've started playing with a few things and looking at sizes...

The 1HD-FTE is a newer generation turbodiesel that puts out insane power but has a lot of strange things on it like a viscous oil heater, strange electronics etc. it makes over 200hp with 360ft-lbs torque at super low rpms.

Its from a landcruiser.

Has anyone considered such a thing? I know the smaller 2.5L to 3.0L diesels will fit nicely since they were all used inthe hilux... but i wanted more than a 160hp maximum.

[​IMG]

2. Nov 28, 2013 at 7:55 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    So, you are saying the engine took a puke while a 'Certified' Toyota mechanic at a dealership blew up your motor....what was he doing to cause the failure?

You say it ran like new despite the 500,000km on the motor, did you get/were offered any compensation for the motor replacement, like maybe what ever it would cost for another 3.4L, say from a donor wreck?

As far as your diesel quest, I am sure if you spend enough $$$ getting everything worked out electronically, somehow mate the diesel ECU to the present wiring harnesses, you would be good to go...

First thing I would be doing is biatching to the dealer, it was in their hands when it blew, especially if it was running, like you say, perfect when you took it in...

How about filling in the blanks to help with the overall picture?

3. Nov 28, 2013 at 8:32 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
  4. Nov 28, 2013 at 9:51 AM
    JLee50

JLee50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    Stockish 99 4x4 TRD
    ToyTec coilovers
    LOL.

Edit the first post to say that you failed a timing belt job, gave up, brought a non-running motor with god-knows-what wrong with it to a dealer, who then had bolts break (shit happens) when they tried to fix it.

Yeah, can't pin this one on Toyota.

Honestly, if you couldn't figure out what was wrong with your existing setup, doing a one-of custom motor swap with wiring/etc is never going to work.

5. Nov 28, 2013 at 5:12 PM
    604YOTA

604YOTA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Disco Stu
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD SR5
    Grey wire mod, eibach, 5100's & 5125's, ome Dakar leafs, 1.25 rear shackle, Gibson exhaust, ram air intake, throttle body spacer, boot slide mod, poly bushing kit, extended brake lines.
    All other crap aside I have been thinking of this swap aswell if my 3.4 ever dies... I figure if you can stick a tundra v8 in or a small block diesel shouldn't be any harder

6. Nov 28, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    After reading the other thread, OMG...obviously something was not put back together right, I can remember a time or two fighting cam timing, and back a few years before all this electronic stuff, one also had to worry about getting the distributor on the right gear, it usually is a simple thing...

sounds like something is 180 off...the old chevy v-8's sometimes would fire and run @180 off, but not very well, LOL...

Good Luck in your quest...

7. Nov 28, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    toastyjosh

toastyjosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    northern New mexico
    Vehicle:
    95 dark green taco(sold), 2005 chevy 2500HD duramax
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top