1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying a 2014, Help me decide on trim and auto or 6spd? Snowy conditions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by willymcd, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Nov 30, 2013 at 12:57 AM
    willymcd

willymcd [OP] New Member

Member:
    This is probably a redundant post, sorry for that, but I'm looking for some insight

I have some good deals lined up on a few 2014 access cab taco's.

my options are

TRD OR manual white (best looking for me)
    TRD OR auto grey (2nd best color)
    TRD Sport Auto Pyrite Mica (color is mehh)

The TRD OR manual and TRD sport auto are the same price for me and are $1K cheaper than the TRD OR Auto.

I have always been a manual driver and the manual in the Taco seems fine enough for fun, but there seems to be some issues with it (TOB and other squeaks) and it kills me that the final gear ratio isn't lower. That and the fact everyone loves the Auto and gets better mpg has me leaning that way. Will I regret not going manual? I have always found manual way more fun for playing in the snow too which is a bonus. I have only driven an auto Taco once and it seemed to me that it wanted to alway step down a gear and just kind of felt like a slug compared to the manual. How does the Auto handle going up mountain passes?

for 2014 is there a difference between the SR5 and TRD seats? They look the same to me? Better seats is one of my driving forces for a TRD.

Now down to OR or sport. I know this has been done to death, but I am just looking for a tad bit of clarification. The OR and SPORT act the same while they are in 2W and 4WH mode, but when you get to 4WL the OR has A-TRAC and elocker? In all honesty I probably won't need the A-TRAC or the elocker, I'm not really a 4wheeler, my off road adventures are mostly in search of camping sites in Utah and Colorado. That being said I kinda like the idea of having it. Perhaps the TRD OR holds it's value better?
    For the Sport I really don't care about the hood scoop or not. Am I correct that all it has really over the SR5 is seats and different shocks?
    Also the Sport and SR5 has an electronic LSD while in 2W and 4WH, the OR doesn't, it only has the locker that can be used in 4WL, or does the OR also have the eLSD?

Any insight is much appreciated...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  2. Nov 30, 2013 at 1:14 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    I'm not an expert on the differences from SR5 to OR to Sport.

But I'll give you my gut feeling...if you're a manual guy, get the manual. My two cents...good luck with your new truck purchase. :cool:

3. Nov 30, 2013 at 1:37 AM
    Darth_Yota

Darth_Yota I intend to live forever, or die trying.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam-moron
    Somewhere USA
    Vehicle:
    Dented, broken-down ‘08 hoopty
    Ain’t good’nuff for insta
    I love having the manual. It's a lot of fun! I'm happy to answer questions, I've had experience with the TOB problem.

4. Nov 30, 2013 at 2:08 AM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC, SB, 4WD Pyrite Mica,
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
  5. Nov 30, 2013 at 5:32 AM
    smd3

smd3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    In 2H and 4H the sport and OR work the same.

The electronic limited slip on the sport is just computer manipulation of the brakes in the rear to act in a similar manner as a limited slip would. (I believe the OR will do this as well?)

The seats in the SR5 and sport were different from the OR in the past, perhaps they changed that. I'd sit in each and see if you feel a difference.

The sport also has color matched mirrors, door handles, and bumper. The OR gets the black plastic trim and chrome rear bumper.

The sport will have the more firm, and more capable to haul, 4 leaf spring rear suspension.

I'm pretty sure the sport has a larger front sway bar, too.

Generally it seems the auto is regarded as the better transmission in these trucks, I'm sure it's because of the manual's small issues.

I got the auto, but regret it occasionally. It's all personal preference. In the end, I figured its a truck and not a sports car, and the auto would be better suited to it.

6. Nov 30, 2013 at 7:27 AM
    ATHiker

ATHiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5 OR 5.7L
    I went with the auto because they are supposed to get better mileage. No issues with teh auto, however, I am disappointed on the MPG. If I had to do it over, would probably go with the manual.

7. Nov 30, 2013 at 8:00 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    The auto is really super smooth. The manual is not. I just got a 2014 manual and in a little disappointed with how rough it shifts, and keeping it from bucking when letting out the clutch is a task. But I chose manual for a reason. And we get our fair share of snow here and i like manual for that.

8. Nov 30, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    2012SilverSport

2012SilverSport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver TRD Sport Double Cab
    CS Jumpers LED's throughout the cab and marker/DTRL's weather techs/seat covers. Head unit Pioneer AVHX5500BHS, Speakers, Front, Polk Audio DXi 6500 component, rear Polk Audio DXi 650s Subwoofer Sound Ordinance B-8PS, Amplifier Alpine KTP 445U. Front ICON extended travel 2.5 remote resi, Camburg UCA's. Rear ICON 2.0 remote res rear. Wheelers 3 leaf HD progressive AAL,
    I have the 2012 sport with 6spd manual. I have no regrets and have not had any issues with the manual trans. I do not know if anything has changed for 14 in regards to the seats but the sport seats are far more comfortable especially for longer runs. I live in SE Alaska where there is a fair amount of snow off and on. The ice is the biggest issue here and the Sports electronic limited slip has saved my bacon a few times. the Sport does have a stiffer suspension than the SR5 which has been nice towing/launching boats etc.

Admittedly I am somewhat biased, but did do a lot of research and drove/rode in a lot of Tacoma's before I dropped my hard earned cash on what I really wanted. If you have always had and want a manual trans then get it. I worked with my dealer and they traded one of their trucks for the one I wanted from a different dealer.

Good luck with your new truck purchase!

9. Nov 30, 2013 at 8:14 AM
    2012SilverSport

2012SilverSport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver TRD Sport Double Cab
    CS Jumpers LED's throughout the cab and marker/DTRL's weather techs/seat covers. Head unit Pioneer AVHX5500BHS, Speakers, Front, Polk Audio DXi 6500 component, rear Polk Audio DXi 650s Subwoofer Sound Ordinance B-8PS, Amplifier Alpine KTP 445U. Front ICON extended travel 2.5 remote resi, Camburg UCA's. Rear ICON 2.0 remote res rear. Wheelers 3 leaf HD progressive AAL,

My 2012 was a little tight and "bucked" a bit when I first got it too but has since smoothed out a bit and is relatively smooth now (maybe it is just me LOL). I do like how it is a more deliberate shift which is better for towing and offroad for me. I also appreciate how it feels like a truck and not a sports car.

10. Nov 30, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    RigidTaco

RigidTaco Bearded Bandit

Member:
    Cremona, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Barcelona Red V6 SR5
    Im with you, Manual was one of the best choices i made. Plus if snow is in your future i feel manual is easier to control yourself in the snow.

11. Nov 30, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    I am a manual guy but I have an auto. I just don't like the way the ratios are spaced on the six speed on these. And my brother in law has one and I've driven it probably a thousand miles or so over the years. I have a friend with an 07 6 speed with like 140k on it. His TOB squeaks like crazy but he hasn't had any real issues with it besides dismal mileage. Of course mine isn't exactly stellar either but it's better for sure. I average around 20 and both of them have a tough time averaging 17. If the next generation gets the same mileage with a manual trans I'll buy one when I'm done with my 05, which won't be for a while.

12. Nov 30, 2013 at 9:53 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    wut

13. Nov 30, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    RigidTaco

RigidTaco Bearded Bandit

Member:
    Cremona, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Barcelona Red V6 SR5
    Fack, I dont even know and I wrote it.... Early morning work and lack of coffee is my excuse. You Sig image is perfect for the comment too HAHA

But manual is the way to go in snowy conditions. Much more control.

14. Nov 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    More control how

15. Nov 30, 2013 at 12:53 PM
    bfoxglove

bfoxglove Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport
    I live in Alaska and I wouldn't drive an auto if you paid me. The 6 speed is the only way to go for driving in the snow. I also went from a '12 tx pro to a '13 sport for the color matched bumpers and grill, things like that always bother me.

16. Nov 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    why

17. Nov 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    the seats in the Sport and Offroad have been the same between the 05-11 from what i know...and SR5s are different...unless were talking about up in Canada or something...

but to the ops question...ive seen mix reviews between the transmissions on the 6 speeds...i know about 6 people who have the 6 speed and havent had any problems even with the 1st batch of 2nd gens in the 05 models :notsure:

18. Nov 30, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport

Sooooo, is this guy is wishin' it was a manual? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

19. Nov 30, 2013 at 1:09 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    I would say the auto is a solid transmission and if you guys haven't driven it you can't say anything about it.

20. Nov 30, 2013 at 1:15 PM
    Sledhauler

Sledhauler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    MD
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD Sport 4X4
    I would say the auto has the advantage in snow for starting off, although I can feather my manual off the line with ease, I can see possibly an issue on a hill in bad weather.

I too read all the reviews before purchasing, also have always driven manuals. I came to the conclusion that the 5spd makes noises & has reported problems, 6spd has premature wear and tob issues. The wear and tob most of the time is from overheating in stuck/offroad situations.

My previous 5spd made a creaking noise everytime you pushed the clutch in but other then that no problems. Noise started around 25k and went in for warranty a couple times. Dealership "greased" clutch pedal and noise would would go away for a few thousand miles.

Current 6spd @ over 10k has broken in nicely, no problems. It was stiff and such when new, all clearing up around 6 some thousand miles.

I personally liked the stiffer ride of the sport over the offroad but more wanted a 6spd and no chrome more then any other options.

Products Discussed in

To Top