1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My non-satoshi 2014 grill

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by C1ph3r, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Dec 6, 2013 at 9:30 PM
    C1ph3r

C1ph3r [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    A.W.
    Concord NC
    Vehicle:
    Nothing special
    2014 DCSB 4x4 TRD OffRoad Super White TRD sport grill, Custom mesh grill, Tailgate theft mod, bed mat, tint, chopped antenna, 16x8 Konig Counter, Weathertech mats and window shades, Relentless Fabrication bolt on sliders
    Well when I started this project I full intentions of going full bore and trying to replicate homers grill. Well, that didn’t happen. After I finished cutting out my grill, I realized I was in over my head. And once I saw john_r1's thread here http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/303197-satoshi-help-epoxy-resin.html I knew I didn’t have the patients or skill to pull that off. So I went a little easier route. taking full inspiration from homertacos grill. Cut everything out and formed my grill to fit. once I get my color matched grill surround mounted up I will get some more pics.

I am happy with it. Not having the correct tools to bend the metal or cut it for that matter I think it turned out ok. I also ended up cutting too much plastic out. Oh well. Should look good mounted up on the truck.

So here is the back side of the grill separated from the surround.

Grilll-001.jpg

Here is the center section cut out

Grilll-009.jpg

Grilll-010.jpg

Here is my cardboard template
    Grilll-014.jpg

Here is my grill mesh as it arrived to me from Custom Car Grills

Grilll-018.jpg

Here is the front side without the exterior grill cap (don’t know what else to call It. the chrome or color matched part)

Grilll-019.jpg

Grilll-020.jpg

Grilll-021.jpg

And here is the back. I have some cleaning up to do before final mounting.

Grilll-022.jpg

Grilll-023.jpg

And here is the gap around the edge. I ended up cutting way too much plastic off.

Grilll-024.jpg

Grilll-025.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. Dec 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Pretty cool...

My DIY mesh kit is very similar to what you've got there. ;)

3. Dec 6, 2013 at 9:44 PM
    C1ph3r

Member:
    First Name:
    A.W.
    Concord NC
    Vehicle:
    Nothing special
    2014 DCSB 4x4 TRD OffRoad Super White TRD sport grill, Custom mesh grill, Tailgate theft mod, bed mat, tint, chopped antenna, 16x8 Konig Counter, Weathertech mats and window shades, Relentless Fabrication bolt on sliders
    thanks. i did have to take some ques from you. i had full intentions of trying out a raptor grill. but yeeaaah. i realized once i got into it there was no way i could manage that. so i pretty much butchered my grill and the mesh to get it to where it is now. thanks for your help and advice. i should have just waited until your kit was out but got a little impatient. i truly understand now the work that you put into the 2012.

HomerTaco likes this.
  4. Dec 6, 2013 at 10:14 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Looks nice.

That is a similar material to what Toyota used on the 1st Gen Tundra IS grilles.

5. Dec 7, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    TR90125

TR90125 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport
    Bone stock for now....
    Nice work

6. Dec 7, 2013 at 9:43 AM
    Valsmere

Valsmere Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    EXPENSIVE
    tail gate lock, rear view mirror bracket, hood hinge brackets, and the list grows.
    Looking good!

7. Dec 7, 2013 at 10:14 AM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    I'm impress. Nothing like a DIY project with pictures to share with TW :thumbsup:

8. Dec 7, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    C1ph3r

Member:
    First Name:
    A.W.
    Concord NC
    Vehicle:
    Nothing special
    thanks everyone. here it is mounted up on the truck with my old Hella Blackmagic spots behind it. the spots are mounted there because the drivers side light wouldn't clear the trans cooler aimed the way i have it. they are pointed to that extreme because i need them aimed as far to the sides to light up tight turns. floods would be better for this purpose but i dont have them yet

i ordered the mesh in flat black but it came gloss. i didn't feel like messing with a return and waiting for it to get delivered. so i will paint it matte at some point.

you can really tell how poor my cutting skills with a dremel are with the last pic. way to much plastic cut out and way to wavy

Grilll02-005.jpg

Grilll02-007.jpg

Grilll02-001.jpg

with the gloss mesh something is reflecting off it in this pic. that isn't something showing through from behind. but i do need to pain the rad and the supports.

Grilll02-008.jpg

Grilll02-009.jpg

Grilll02-010.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  9. Dec 7, 2013 at 1:37 PM
    MtnManTaco

MtnManTaco Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4x4
    Nice work, looks good!

10. Dec 7, 2013 at 1:42 PM
    C1ph3r

Member:
    First Name:
    A.W.
    Concord NC
    Vehicle:
    Nothing special
    thanks. i appreciate it.

11. Dec 7, 2013 at 1:48 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Looks good man. I like that mesh you got there.

12. Dec 7, 2013 at 1:59 PM
    C1ph3r

Member:
    First Name:
    A.W.
    Concord NC
    Vehicle:
    Nothing special
    thanks. i am going to take a tip from your build thread and paint the mesh and the black surround with that matte black stripe paint. i really want it to match the lower valance. and yours matched real good

13. Dec 7, 2013 at 2:02 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    That would look really good I think. Look forward to seeing the pictures:)

14. Dec 7, 2013 at 4:30 PM
    Mtn Tacoma

Mtn Tacoma Dude

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    MI
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM AC OR
    Looks good! I really like the look of that mesh on your truck.
    What did you cut the metal mesh with? And do you have a sheet metal bender to make your bends?

I'm trying to plan how I'm going to do mine soon.

15. Dec 7, 2013 at 5:27 PM
    C1ph3r

Member:
    First Name:
    A.W.
    Concord NC
    Vehicle:
    Nothing special
    Thanks. I used tin snips to cut it and used my hand, pliers, rubber mallet, and the corner of my work bench to bend it. I do not recommend my methods. The bends aren't even but you can't really tell. Good luck. Don't cut too much plastic. It's easy to cut too much.

16. Dec 7, 2013 at 7:38 PM
    Eric F

Eric F Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC SB TRD-OR 4x4
    Anytime fog lights, U.S. Off Road-Winch Mount Bumper, diff breather, Doug Thorley mid pipe
    Considering you had the guts to cut on your new truck you did an amazing job. I'd like to do something like that, but not sure if I could handle it if I screw it up.
    E

17. Dec 7, 2013 at 7:59 PM
    C1ph3r

Member:
    First Name:
    A.W.
    Concord NC
    Vehicle:
    Nothing special
    Fortunately I had 2 grills. But it was nerve racking to think of ruining either of them

18. Dec 7, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    LOL! Same here.
    I spent the $200 to buy a white colormatched grille that I did the Satoshi on.

19. Dec 7, 2013 at 8:20 PM
    C1ph3r

Member:
    First Name:
    A.W.
    Concord NC
    Vehicle:
    Nothing special
    It's great. I don't know how the pre 12s are but the fact that the main structure of the grill separates from the colored overlay made it real nice. Worked on it for a while and when it was done just swapped out the chrome part for the white.

20. Dec 7, 2013 at 9:50 PM
    J0HN_R1

J0HN_R1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.75" FR, Deaver 1.5" TSB leafs RR, SpiderTrax 1" spacers, custom LED interior & bed lights, 2005 4Runner Sport 17" wheels powder coated satin black
    First of all, good job ! And thanks for being inspired by me... It's somewhat humbling.

Second, may I recommend trying to attach a rubber/plastic edging* around the lip of the grill surround (the part you cut "too much"). This may hide some of the gap.

* GrillCraft uses it around the edge of their grills, the really tiny stuff (9-10mm). You may have to use an adhesive.

[​IMG]

Or you could take a pencil, outline the plastic lip around the metal grill.
    Then remove the metal part & apply some thin (1/4") weatherstripping (for house doors/windows) onto the mesh around the outside of the line.
    You'd have to cut the outside edge of the stripping to make the turns, otherwise it'd look more like a hack-job with joints everywhere.

:)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top